West Branch fun

Excellent fishing opportunities in the western suburbs.

West Branch fun

Postby grems » Apr Wed 07, 2021 1:01 pm

Took a vacation day on Easter Monday to enjoy the beautiful weather and explore some new stretches. I've heard some good things about Knoch Knolls so decided to wade north of the pedestrian bridges. Water was super low and clear, especially for early spring. Very little depth variation, not much in the way of twists and bends either, little structure to suggest fish holding spots. Tried a few different lures and patterns, not a single bite or even fish sighting the entire time.

I refused to accept that skunk and after eating a bite for dinner decided to hit the river walk, and was rewarded with a 17 incher and 16 incher plus some dinks and rockies. Perch colored paddletail caught the most, other colors and ned rig produced too.

Disappointed I did not uncover productive new grounds, but happy to connect in known territory!

IMG-0663.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grems
Game Fish

Re: West Branch fun

Postby Jaxon » Apr Wed 07, 2021 4:12 pm

I floated that whole section at Knoch Knolls with the kayak + sidescan last summer. I did not find any structure that would reliably hold fish.
Jaxon
Pan Fish

Postby jmdog2003 » Apr Wed 07, 2021 4:31 pm

I found some good spots near KK but never fished it specifically. Always good to have intel on unproductive water as well to cut down on chase time. That brown fish has awesome camo going :)
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Jaxon » Apr Wed 07, 2021 5:20 pm

Yep, just north and just south of KK has some interesting stuff...but it's like the riverbed in the KK section was carved from one giant flat piece of rock.
Jaxon
Pan Fish

Return to DuPage River