Adventures of the troll, the tube, the cat and the LPS

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

Adventures of the troll, the tube, the cat and the LPS

Postby catchafew » May Sun 13, 2018 2:46 am

Do you have a spoiled little daughter or granddaughter with way too many stupid little toys? As times are tough for me sometimes things must be re-purposed, so I can brush up on my smallie fishing skills in case the zombie apocalypse happens, and BPS is overran by walkers and I can’t get my Chompers. Isn’t BPS kind of overrun by high functioning walkers anyway?
4_lures.jpeg

My gf and her granddaughter are road-tripping to ocean for the first time at a beach house in NC and I figured I’d help the little kid pick-up some of the toys on the floor.

Actually, Aux once suggested I believe sometime fish are biting so well you could put a treble hook on some nail clippers and fish would hit it and so I thought I’d try. 3/16” drill bit, little split shots and some trebles and voila. I added appropriate number of split shots so each lure would have a similar sink rate of my tubes.

I tried 20 casts with each to four well established smallie holding areas here’s how the lineup went:

Troll the Leadoff hitter - This beautiful, happy troll with some SJW thing going on with her hair I had great expectations with as the jigging motion would cause its mane to undulate like a jellyfish. One surface strike on a foam batch as I lifted her out of the water for another cast. 0 for 20.

LPS batting 2nd. – Those beautiful eyes even the smallies couldn’t resist. If I only had a southern drawl I bet I could sell millions of these 'game changing' lures that'll likely be a 'disruptive force' :roll: in bass fishing for years to come. 1 for 20.
LPS.jpeg

Cat batting 3rd. – I had high expectations with this cat about same size and color as my tubes but the cat kind of stunk it up out there. 0 for 20.

Tube batting cleanup. – As expected tubes kicked butt again and went 4 for 20.
nice_tube.jpeg

Things have been slowing down over the past two longer days and I think I landed 50 or so smallies but nothing over 18” but the smallies are spreading out further from cover closer to the main current. Now I’m throwing chatters, spinners, spooks, poppers to make it interesting but tubes still are still best by far.

I had a short intense 10 second lock up with a battle scared ski legitimately pushing 40” + yesterday holding tight to an undercut vertical wall right off the main current on a tube. I wanted to land her so bad, but I just knew she’d get unbuttoned. Bigger skis require a lot of power from a rod to punch a nice hookset, I was asleep at the wheel as usual and didn’t hammer the hookset like an idiot but a heavy 7’ bass rod will never be musky rod. I’ve seen her cruising around today and she has little interest in my silly efforts and I went to smallie fishing. Funny how it goes I bring down the musky rod today and appropriate lure but nothing. “We’ll meet again” as Vera Lynn once sang I thought about with the musky swimming free and on news of my father passing away today, that was one of my Dad’s favorite songs from his youth. I got text from my brother today as I was heading back to my gf’s house. One of the reasons I was keeping lots of fish this ice fishing season was that this was a simple pleasure my dad and I both enjoyed and bonded over from was fresh fish. He and my mom were on borrowed time this year. Enjoy and spend time with your parents, my brothers and I were lucky and had time to say our goodbyes. I hope you don’t find this crass, but I’ll continue to fish and likely report until I must return to Chicago for services. I’d rather be up here fishing and with people I know than hanging out in my condo alone with most of my siblings out of state.

On a lighter note today’s PSA is ‘Don’t ever pet a musky’. I found these jaws curiously about 4’ above the river on a large boulder buried under a few leaves about 10’ back from the bank. Largest teeth measured about 1” long!
dont_pet_the_musky2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Adventures of the troll, the tube, the cat and the LPS

Postby Aux Pleins » May Sun 13, 2018 5:06 am

That musky jaw is great! Another good one man.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » May Sun 13, 2018 5:30 am

Sorry to hear about your dad. Both of my parents have passed 40 years plus now. I still miss them, often wondering about all the things we could have experienced together.

I agree stay where you are happy. You only get one life, might as well make it a pleasant one.

BTW I never liked cats and I have a partial jaw bone from a moose. I found it in Canada. They have an impressive set of choppers as well.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Sun 13, 2018 6:04 am

Condolences to you for your dad. Other than that what a fun post! Keep it up!
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » May Sun 13, 2018 6:33 am

Great post again - and very sorry to hear of your father' s passing. Glad you two had the opportunity to bond over the outdoors.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby FISHdank » May Sun 13, 2018 7:18 am

Sorry to hear about your pops Mike. Regardless of age always very sad. Great small jaws and very very cool find on that huge jaw.
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » May Sun 13, 2018 10:30 am

Nice little science project, cutting that troll in half to create 1 eye on each half would have been my next step.

Fishing has always been good medicine, time for reflecting back, sorting things out and planning how we move forward.
Sorry for your loss, Stay strong for yourself and the rest of the family
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby badger75 » May Sun 13, 2018 11:09 am

Sorry for your loss.
Great bit of fun with some home made baits.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby jmdog2003 » May Sun 13, 2018 11:23 am

Fishing is good for the soul and you can still bond with your dad by doing it. Grieve and heal however you see fit, nothing crass about it.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » May Sun 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Losing dad is always a tough one, I know unfortuantely from experience. Hang in there and think of all the good times! I know I always carry a piece of my dad with me whenever I'm out wetting a line since he taught me to fish.

As for your experiment, very interesting. :D I can't help picture someone jealous at your catches and asking what you're using and you holding up your line 'Umm it's a troll I think. I guess you could say I'm trolling.' :lol:

But wow check out them chompers (of the non-bait type!)!
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » May Mon 14, 2018 8:21 am

Sorry to hear about your dad.

Does anyone have an idea of what size that muskie was before losing her jaw?
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » May Mon 14, 2018 9:22 am

Great hogs and another good reason they should produce kevlar waders with extra kevlar layer in the genital area
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » May Mon 14, 2018 9:30 am

Condolences buddy.

+1 on the advice to spend time with family while you still can.

“At the end of your life, you will never regret winning one more verdict or earning one more paycheck. You WILL regret time not spent with a spouse, a friend or a loved one.”

― Barbara Bush

*Also, I used to fish the tide swings in San Diego harbor fishing with cut strips of Scotchbrite pads and Barbie Doll heads. Caught more and bigger fish than the guys fishing with live bait.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » May Mon 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Condolences on the loss of your dad.

I wonder if you trolled the troll how'd that work? Last moosky I tried to pet 20 some years ago bit me in the thumb... lesson learned and now I use gloves to handle them.
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Rivers/Tributaries