#Alltubelivesmatter

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

#Alltubelivesmatter

Postby catchafew » May Mon 14, 2018 9:37 pm

They all start out as shapeless and colorless in vats of polyvinyl alcohol and then pigments are added, and the divisiveness begins, but today #Alltubelivesmatter. It wasn’t lost on me however that in the middle of Peckerwood I had to drive an hour to find some white ones as I was running some errands, one would think there is preferential treatment for tubes of color?

#alltubelivesmatter... Today's contestants all 4", 1/8oz and thrown in the usual high crime areas of pockets, seams and slack waters adjacent to fast waters.
#alltubesmattered.jpeg

#blacktubesmatter... Yes, I checked out of Hinsdale a long time ago and traded in my Sperry top siders for Perry suspenders which are made in lovely Decatur, IL. And, yes if I hold out these smallies any further I’ll need arms like Dallas Comegys. Quality fish have been hiding the past few days.
#blacktubesmatter.jpeg

#bluetubesmatter
#bluetubesmatter.jpeg

#browntubesmatter
#browntubesmatter.jpeg

#yellowtubesmatter
#yellowtubesmatter.jpg

#whitetubesmatter
#whitetubesmatter.jpeg

I suppose I could just fish 1/16oz jigs with pearl white grubs for years on the same smallie river and then come down from the mountain and declare myself a nihilist and quit fishing but what’s the fun in that even if it’s true.

All jokes aside all tubes worked equally well, and I finished this experiment in about 20 minutes, it was cool though to easily track the white tube in the water and then watch fish chase it down. Sorry posts from this stretch of river jumped the shark a long time ago but I was just trying to show that colors aren’t always a huge issue. I did try fishing a great smallie river about an hour away of a similar nature earlier today, but they weren’t having any of my nonsense and I skunked.

I might take a short road trip to the Nipigon later this week after I get the tires changed, everything takes forever in small towns, and see if I can scare up some brookies. I’ll keep you posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: #Alltubelivesmatter

Postby vman01 » May Mon 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Color blind fish or just not that finicky when it comes to tubes. Myth or not you found the bite today again. Nice fish and thanks for posting another great report out.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » May Tue 15, 2018 4:23 am

Cant believe you get away with an 1/8oz in that current. Hats off again, love them smalljaws.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Ryguy83 » May Tue 15, 2018 5:15 am

Very nice smallies. Can I ask what type of hook/rig you use for your tubes? I am a total newbie re. Smallmouth fishing so just trying to learn different techniques. Thanks!
Ryguy83
Fishing Fanatic

Postby catchafew » May Tue 15, 2018 6:10 am

^^^ Marcus, Its all smoke and mirrors in these 'fast' waters and my pictures. You just find the areas of slow waters and you'll find the smallies. Idc if the slow area is as small as a garbage lid if you can get your lure there you'll often find the fish, super easy to read. My game quickly falls apart in slow waters as holding points are more subtle and I think fish are more spread out. Among many other reasons (i.e. suck at fishing, never paid my dues with time) I've quickly had my ass handed to me on the handful of occasions I've bank fished the Fox and the DuPage and try my cheap tube tricks fail very quickly. It's a pure reaction bite and with competition of fellow smallies short strike windows they just hit anything, they have little time to think which is to the anglers advantage. One reason I admire you, JMD, ski and unfortunately all the old Fox guys who faded away is you're dealing with a much more subtle waters, buckhead impact and educated fish but you still close the deal. These smallies are nomadic hordes and the catching ends as quickly as it starts, I'm guessing they'd dropping back to the lake. Fast waters are merely a fast assembly lines of food items and stacks of greedy, selfish smallies (assembly workers) reach out with there grubby little mouths and smash many things (i.e kid toys) that come by. Every fish from walleye to black crappie to rockies exhibit aggressive reaction strikes on these stretches of fast water. Like most things I know about fishing I learned it from someone else, I rarely connect the dots. Arkansas guides on the Buffalo hand us 1/8oz jigs with skinny 'Gitzit' tubes and I'vebeen fishing tubes ever since, but I've upsized to longer beefy tubes for slower sink rates and accounting for less water clarity. I know I can catch more fish with smaller tubes and grubs with 1/16oz jigs but rockies, dink smallies don't interest me but walleye would, its a only dimensional game I play that only lends itself well in the times when there in the mood. Sorry for the rambling, I'm posting from my phone in bed.

You did give me reason to do a car spotted 11 mile float trip. Those are different smallies waters with log jams, outside bends, overhead cover and rare fast patches of water and boulders. A few long jams to climb over with canoe and class 2 pucker up waters and i have to find my old waders waders or send my 20yo simms back for free repair.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » May Tue 15, 2018 6:28 am

^^^ ryguy... http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Strike_K ... SKTJH.html I'm not saying this lure is best for Illinois smallie waters, I'd read posts about fox, DuPage or kank first before you stock up.

I wish Cletious (sp) would chime in about my fishing up here, he's eminently more qualified to offer more sophisticated answers to river fishing up here or RonG when the fishing gets tough.

I'm very set in my ways out of habit and playing quasi guide and so I mostly throw expendable tubes as i rarely wade anymore. Swimbaits, grubs, pulsar the usual river smallie stuff works up here as well. I got a couple young guys coming up here and showing me new tricks that tackle the same riddle.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Ryguy83 » May Tue 15, 2018 7:28 am

catchafew wrote:^^^ ryguy... http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Strike_K ... SKTJH.html I'm not saying this lure is best for Illinois smallie waters, I'd read posts about fox, DuPage or kank first before you stock up.

I wish Cletious (sp) would chime in about my fishing up here, he's eminently more qualified to offer more sophisticated answers to river fishing up here or RonG when the fishing gets tough.

I'm very set in my ways out of habit and playing quasi guide and so I mostly throw expendable tubes as i rarely wade anymore. Swimbaits, grubs, pulsar the usual river smallie stuff works up here as well. I got a couple young guys coming up here and showing me new tricks that tackle the same riddle.

Thank you!
Ryguy83
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SpecialEd » May Tue 15, 2018 8:06 am

catchafew wrote:I suppose I could just fish 1/16oz jigs with pearl white grubs for years on the same smallie river and then come down from the mountain and declare myself a nihilist and quit fishing but what’s the fun in that even if it’s true.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » May Tue 15, 2018 8:21 am

catchafew wrote:
I suppose I could just fish 1/16oz jigs with pearl white grubs for years on the same smallie river and then come down from the mountain and declare myself a nihilist and quit fishing but what’s the fun in that even if it’s true.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Was about to do the same thing. :D :D :D
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » May Tue 15, 2018 8:43 am

Amazing fish and report as always. Gorgeous color on those fish.
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » May Tue 15, 2018 9:04 am

Great post....and a Dallas Comegys reference to boot!

Only player the late Ray Meyer recruited in person, I believe.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby JB » May Tue 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Beautiful scenery there! Interesting read. I have to give the tubes a try down this way. I’ve fished them on Mille Lacs but never tried the rivers. Thanks for sharing.
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » May Tue 15, 2018 12:31 pm

I appreciate your tube-based efforts at Diversity :D

And it doesn't matter how ya catch em when you've got them ashore for great pics. Nice work!
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Tue 15, 2018 3:24 pm

catchafew wrote:I wish Cletious (sp) would chime in about my fishing up here

+1 on this

Meeting Cletedius in Florida early this year was great. Him showing me the ropes for peacocks made me more confident adapting the same techniques to smallies this year. I can't wait for the day I hook into one with one of the bucktails he sent me away with.

My guess is his guide service picked up heavily since I was out there. I know he mentioned it was picking up back in January. I've seen his name pop up from time to time on the "users logged in" area. Come back to us Cletedius!
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Tue 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Incredible report and pics!

Aux Pleins wrote:Cant believe you get away with an 1/8oz in that current.

It's usually not that deep and they will shoot up to the surface to hit. I was up there and the current in one spot was un-enterable. If you attempted, you would go cartwheeling downstream. So strong, I dropped my jig down once at rod's length and was amusing myself watching it skitter across the surface in the raging flow. 3 smallies came shooting up out of nowhere, beating eachother up, trying to get to my jig first. They all missed so I skittered in the spot 4' from shore and did get 2 of them hooked.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Scipio24 » May Tue 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Great post Mike. Love the fish and the area. The rock formations in some of the background is fantastic.
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Postby cletedius » May Wed 16, 2018 2:58 am

Mike, your tearing it up this spring and making me very jealous. Good going :thumbup:

catchafew wrote:I wish Cletious (sp) would chime in about my fishing up there

Looking to me as though you got it dialed in just fine. If I were to add anything Id say that when it comes to jigheads for plastics, a handful of 1/8 &1/4 oz ball heads will cover a wide range of plastics, tubes, flukes, grubs, craws, paddletails. For most plastics look for jigheads with a 2/0 -3/0 light wire hook. My favorite jigs for general all around use, readily available in retail, are the Owner ultra heads.
https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/owne ... gLaZvD_BwE
Some years ago I got tired of not finding what I wanted for jigheads and started making my own, so there may be other options since last time I shopped them.
Texas rigging a tube with a pegged worm sinker and 2 or 3/0 owner rigging hook is a very good alternative in wood or heavy cover.

I have always been a soft-plastic junky at heart (&I have the stack of 18gallon rubbermaid totes to prove it :oops:) , but I have to admit the last couple years when it comes to river smallies, hair jigs are quickly climbing my list of got-to baits. The ability to fine-tune a specific weight, size-profile, buoyancy is far greater than plastic, and at times they just seem to be magic. Some hair jigs that have been productivesmallie baits for me:

Woohoodude11 wrote:+1 on this
My guess is his guide service picked up heavily since I was out there. I know he mentioned it was picking up back in January. I've seen his name pop up from time to time on the "users logged in" area. Come back to us Cletedius!

Yeah, had a much-needed busy stretch, but also really havent done much personal fishing since you were here. Some decent trips for okeechobee crappie in Feb, but havent fished on my own behalf since. Just not presently motivated. This, too, shall pass! Hopefully, catchafew will leave a few smallies for me to play with when I get up there in august, which cant get here soon enough!
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » May Wed 16, 2018 6:52 am

Dig the fish & info. But especially dig the scenery. And if you're only a short drive from the Nipigon you're a lot farther north than I thought.

Very cool.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Rivers/Tributaries