Chicago Fishing Forum banner

"Monster" Salt Creek bass. PICTURE!!!

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  vman01 
#1 ·
The following Public Service Announcement is provided in order to give certain WCFers an opportunity to heap scorn and ridicule on the shoulders of an old man trying to enjoy the great outdoors in the few years he has left. :cry:

Decided to brave the heat and high water yesterday to wet a line in one of the less accessible stretches of Salt Creek. Debated on whether to keep on my sandals or switch to Wellingtons. Glad I decided on the later - the woods were literally swamped. Sprayed myself down with anti-tick dope and beat my way through thick underbrush to the creek.

Tied on a 1/12 oz hot pink jig head and a greenish-yellow 2.5" twister tail. The water is still insanely high so I figured it was a "shits & giggles" outing with little hope of productivity. Started by casting upstream & across but the speed of the water made it difficult to get the lure to any depth. So after a while I moved downstream and cast into a backwater eddy. After a dozen or so casts my lure was hammered by a giant LMB - at least 4" long. It fought like the dickens for at least 15 seconds - what a battle! Took me a while to unhook it but I had my trusty, crappy, old camera hanging around my neck and had time to click off one shot - didn't want to waste any time getting this beauty back in the river.

A half hour or so later the heat started to get the better of me and I felt a low sugar episode - the bane of diabetics - coming on. Probably the worst one I've had in years. So I got into the shade, leaned my withered old ass up against a tree, dug out my emergency supply of sugar pills, took one and fought off passing out.

I thought about the newspaper headlines - "Old man found dead fishing along Salt Creek. Cook County Forest Preserve Police uncertain as to cause of death, also uncertain if he was really fishing there being no evidence he ever caught a fish. Cook County Forest Preserve Police also uncertain of exactly what the fuck it is they do for a living. Details to follow". Then I thought about how it would appear on WCF. Someone would find the news report and post it saying, "Gee I wonder if that was Rambler". Then it would come out that they found a picture of a fish on my camera and you'd all figure that it was some other poor shit. The things that come to mind when you're losing consciousness.

Once the sugar pill took effect I figured the universe was telling me it was time to go. On the way back to the car I came upon a wonderful little cluster of sharp-lobed Hepatica.

So the good news is I'm still kicking. Even better news is you still get to give me shit. :lol:

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Glad you made it through Rambler. I saw a guy once go through a diabetic episode years ago on a golf trip, he was fit as an Olympic athlete, very scary to see the condition he was in until he popped some candy in his mouth. I never seen anything like that before or since.

Nobody can ever say you didn't say land a true Salt Creek monster Larry!

Keep on truckin...

#9 ·
Once upon a time (Okay fine, as early as 2 years ago) I was a Mall Cop at Woodfield and saw 2 totally separate reactions to low sugar. One, a kid was sitting at an outdoor dining area to a closed restaurant and was practically a zombie. Every time we said something to him or asked him anything, he'd look at us and say "What?". Called police when he wouldn't leave and got a hold of his phone and called his mom. His mom was a nurse and said it sounded like diabetic shock. Paramedics came and hooked him up to a bag of glucose and he was a normal kid almost instantly.

Second, a lady was tearing up one of the bathrooms screaming. Got to the bathroom and it looked like a tornado went through there. She was literally speaking in tongues. Called Police and Fire, they checked her blood sugar and sure as shit it was low. Hooked her up to the glucose bag and right back to normal. Wild, crazy, awful disease.

Thanks for sharing Rambler and glad you had the ability to remedy your ailment. Also, we like you for your stories, not the fish :wink:

#11 ·
minstrel said:
You really shouldn't hold a monster bass like that, you risk breaking it's jaw :D
I was way more concerned about breaking my thumb! :D

Ryguy83 said:
There is nothing worse then feeling that low kick in, especially when you are not in the comfort of your own home.
Learned the hard way a few years back to never leave home without my glucose tablets.

Aux Pleins said:
You got decades left who you kidding.
Decades? Hmm...
Aux Pleins said:
We all aspire to be rambler
If this is even close to true I suggest you get a life! :D

catchafew said:
I saw a guy once go through a diabetic episode years ago on a golf trip, he was fit as an Olympic athlete, very scary to see the condition he was in until he popped some candy in his mouth. I never seen anything like that before or since.
Like Mary Poppins said, "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down". Or in this case, makes the blood sugar go back up.

Woohoodude11 said:
Once upon a time (Okay fine, as early as 2 years ago) I was a Mall Cop at Woodfield
So your real name is Paul Blart? :D

Woohoodude11 said:
Also, we like you for your stories, not the fish :wink:
Rich D said:
Love your reports - with or without fish. I appreciate vicariously your passion for the outdoors experience.
Aw shucks, you boys say the nicest things. You've made me blush just like a little girl. :D

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. And here I was expecting just a little shit about my monster. Feeling much better - painted the garage yesterday.

#12 ·
Glad you were able to stave off the grim reaper. Nice to see you branching out species, nice monster bass. 8)

Headline would have read "A sad day in fishing history as the greatest creek chub fisher of all time passes."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.