When Salt Creek reminds you of the Colorado Part 2

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

When Salt Creek reminds you of the Colorado Part 2

Postby Rambler » Jun Sun 03, 2018 8:41 am

Like the dedicated denizen of Salt Creek (and complete fool) that I am I went to wet a line the other day.

Went back to the location of my most recent "adventure". Sprayed myself down with lots of DEET and marched off into the woods. The water was so high (how high was it?) that I couldn't get anywhere near the creek. So I spent an hour or so tromping through the woods admiring the common phlox, wild onions and other wild flowers growing in abundance.

At one point I had to fight my way through a 'green wall' that was thick with wild roses. Their thorns caught at my jacket and pants and put me in mind of the Catspaw or "wait-a-minute" bushes that I ran into while making my way into the opening of Papago Canyon in Grand Canyon Nat. Park in Oct. 1975. Papago Creek comes down from the South Rim and weirdly, its small mouth at the Colorado belies its true size. To get up into it from the Colorado required fighting through Catspaw bushes and climbing up a 15' - 20' rock fall.

You can see Papago just beyond the illuminated river willows in this shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: When Salt Creek reminds you of the Colorado Part 2

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Sun 03, 2018 9:43 am

I hope some day I can explore the Canyon at least a fraction of what you have. I've never been to the bottom, only have done the touristy stuff up top and explored Horseshoe Bend up top pretty extensively.

I went to check out a pond earlier in the week and had a similar experience. Wore shorts and running shoes like a moron and now my legs are all carved up. Ended up with my 2nd hitchhiking tick of the year (still no burrowers thank God, and knock on wood). It was that sweltering day after the rain, so I don't doubt I sweat the DEET off.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jun Sun 03, 2018 11:25 am

Damn that is some high water. Love the canyon photo
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 04, 2018 7:42 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:I hope some day I can explore the Canyon at least a fraction of what you have. I've never been to the bottom, only have done the touristy stuff up top and explored Horseshoe Bend up top pretty extensively.

Woo - if you're serious about this I suggest you do it now, while you're young. The things you do today are the memories that will come to you when you're old.

Be sure to do your research & understand the challenges and proper equipment. Also be sure to check availability of back country passes before you go.

If you do it & want advice PM me.

Which Horseshoe Bend are you talking about?
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Mon 04, 2018 8:28 am

Love the pic and write up Ramble. The canyon picture brings back some fond memories of hiking Mono Pass in Ca
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 04, 2018 9:25 am

Phil6 wrote:The canyon picture brings back some fond memories of hiking Mono Pass in Ca

Interesting. I've hiked the Sierra too & it never reminded me of the Canyon. Both are great places to backpack. As are the Rockies, Smokies, etc. etc. etc. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Mon 04, 2018 1:18 pm

I love your collection of photos. Im worried that I'll have lost many modern/digital pictures because of devices changes, service changes etc. by the time I reach your age (longgg way to go :wink: ). I need to get in the habit of printing important pictures.
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Mon 04, 2018 11:31 pm

Rambler wrote:Which Horseshoe Bend are you talking about?

The one in Page, AZ. I'd attach one of my photos but I, unlike Phil, print my photos and put them on an external hard drive and delete down after a year :wink:

It's in my 5 year plan to go though. Won't be within the next 2 with a wedding coming up and homebuying and all that bullshit.
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Tue 05, 2018 8:22 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:It's in my 5 year plan to go though. Won't be within the next 2 with a wedding coming up and homebuying and all that bullshit.

I was lucky - did all my 'rambling' before marriage, house, kids, etc. Don't lose sight of your goal. There's no place like the Canyon - especially when you get up close & personal.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Wed 06, 2018 8:29 am

Woah... that pottery shard is sweet! Did you leave it?
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Wed 06, 2018 9:34 am

Phil6 wrote:Woah... that pottery shard is sweet! Did you leave it?

"Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints"

Rambler of all people I believe would live by that rule :thumbup:
Lets Go Sharks!

Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Wed 06, 2018 10:39 am

Woohoodude11 wrote: Phil6 wrote:
Woah... that pottery shard is sweet! Did you leave it?

Woo knows me even though he doesn't know me.

Clear Creek - the main artery of the Ottoman Amphitheater, below the Valhalla Plateau and Wotan's Throne - is abundant with Anasazi ruins and other evidence of their presence. Shards and petrified corn cobs litter some areas. If you climb up the walls and look down you can see their irrigation ditches - even 700 years after they left. The hike from the South Rim takes most folks 2 days. If you make a dry camp below Zoroaster Temple you might get to see this at sundown.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Wed 06, 2018 10:55 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:
Phil6 wrote:Woah... that pottery shard is sweet! Did you leave it?

Of course... but man made artifacts fall into a grey area.. If you find an arrowhead while digging a fire pit in the middle of a meadow, it would be silly to throw it back in the dirt. Similarly, if you found a pottery frag in a seasonally dry riverbed, you wouldn't want to leave it behind- it'll be lost forever.

Is the artifact in a historically preserved cave? I.e. Pots and clay frags in a cave with cave paintings in a national monument? Of course you wouldn't take it.

Ideally if you find something of historical value, you contact a local authority to check it out in its original location. If changing conditions may cause the artifact to be lost (flooding, erosion, etc) you would want to preserve it and make very accurate notes of where it was found (GPS + marking the exact location with a stick or ribbon) so the rangers (or whoever) can see if you've discovered an archaeologically important site- after you bring them the artifact.

Im not suggesting he load his pockets with petrified wood from a national park to sell on craigslist :lol:
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Wed 06, 2018 11:42 am

Phil, collecting anything in nat parks & monuments is illegal, full stop.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jun Wed 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Rambler wrote:Phil, collecting anything in nat parks & monuments is illegal, full stop.

Again, I'm not talking about taking things home- not sure how I can make that anymore clear. I've spoken to multiple rangers about this in multiple national/state parks/forests and they've all told me basically exactly what I wrote out. You said the area is littered with frags everywhere so they're obviously aware of the pieces. Obviously there would be no reason for you to touch it in that case. I assumed the fragment was discovered by you in an isolated area.

The only other thing I have been told by rangers was you should ideally stay put and give a nearby ranger station a call if possible (often not possible in parks). I've also been told your best bet is to mark the object and take pictures of its exact location to give to a ranger. The only time you would move something would be if it was in danger of being lost or destroyed before a proper authority can inspect it.

https://www.nps.gov/cato/learn/kidsyouth/activity8g.htm

Once again, I've been told by actual rangers the only exception to this would be to preserve an artifact that will be destroyed if its not moved. When I visit the parks, I will always take a Rangers word over that of a regular person. Take that as you will.
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Rivers/Tributaries