Adventures in Paradise

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

Adventures in Paradise

Postby Rambler » Aug Wed 01, 2018 7:53 am

For the rest of the summer Granddaddy Daycare is closed on Tuesdays. So yesterday I headed out to the most beautiful little creek in No. IL.

Got there by 10:00, put on my hip waders and headed up the canyon. Water was very low and very clear. Started out with a 1/16 oz bangtail spinner. Landed a 12" chub (they get big there) on the 2nd cast. Kept going & throwing. After a while it seemed they'd lost interest in that particular spinner so I put on a skirted 00 Mepps. Caught several more.

After working my way up the canyon for a couple hours I took a break & had some lunch. Across the creek at this spot is a boarded up cabin. I wondered if it's John Husar's old summer home. Still miss his outdoors column in the Trib. Also noticed a patch of Tall Blue Bellflowers (Campanula americana) growing along the creek. Never could figure out how they got their name. They're tall and blue but their flowers don't look like bells. Go figure.

After lunch I realized I couldn't wade any further due to a deep pool and lots of deadfall. Time to climb out of the canyon and make my way around the obstructions. Found a game trail and bushwhacked my way through bug-infested undergrowth. Got on top of a ridge and followed the creek below. Although I wanted to stay as high on the ridge as possible until I found a spot where I thought I could get back down like all tired people I found myself loosing altitude as I went. A metaphor for old age?

Got to the top of a small cliff - maybe 10' high. I considered doing what Edward Abbey called a "friction decent" - that's when you let the friction of your ass keep you from pitching head first down a cliff. Then just to my right I spotted a tree whose roots stuck out of the cliff and made a ladder of sorts. Got to the tree and dangled my feet over while hanging on to some small branches. I fully realized a slip or getting my feet tangled in the roots could have serious consequences - like a broken ankle. But it worked out the only damage being a large bruise on my right forearm.

Back to fishing. Tied on a Panther Martin and caught a bunch more. I've caught smallies in this creek but it seemed like the low water forced them all downstream. So I had to content myself with chubs and bluegills. Lost the Panther Martin in a tree. Well shit - I've had that lure for around 25 years. It's caught lots of fish. So it goes.

Got to another impassible spot. It was getting a bit late and I was getting a bit tired. More than a bit. Made my way up to the hiking trail that runs through the park and dragged my sorry old ass back to the car.

Had to take Aleve this morning. Seems my trusty, old Cabelas hip waders have started leaking. Just the seam on the right one. Looks like a job for AquaSeal!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Adventures in Paradise

Postby Lip_Yanker » Aug Wed 01, 2018 8:05 am

Awesome outing and write up Rambler. You remind me of my dad still doing things but slowing down a bit as the years add up. He keeps saying the mind is willing, but the body not so much anymore.

Hope you keep having these adventures and enjoying life.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Jecs » Aug Wed 01, 2018 8:12 am

Looks gorgeous there. Some have begun listing Tall Blue Bellflowers under a new genus (Campanulastrum americana) since they don't have the bell shaped flowers. No clue how they got classified in the first place.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Jecs
Minnow

Postby urbanHog312 » Aug Wed 01, 2018 8:49 am

at least you left your fav lure at your fav fishing hole. beats snagging it on a tire in the dpr.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Aug Wed 01, 2018 9:45 am

Looking forward to your upcoming Tuesday reports now. Always enjoy the pictures and information you pass on with each adventure. That is a beautiful creek.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Aug Wed 01, 2018 10:50 am

Jecs wrote:Some have begun listing Tall Blue Bellflowers under a new genus (Campanulastrum americana) since they don't have the bell shaped flowers. No clue how they got classified in the first place.

Those damned scientists. Always changing things due to "research" and "reanalysis of existing data". Why can't they make up their minds? :lol: Nice to know there's another flower child on WCF.

urbanHog312 wrote:at least you left your fav lure at your fav fishing hole. beats snagging it on a tire in the dpr.

Yep. Would have been better still to lose it in the mouth of a big smallie.

vman01 wrote:Looking forward to your upcoming Tuesday reports now.

Already planning next week's.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Jecs » Aug Wed 01, 2018 11:01 am

Rambler wrote:
Jecs wrote:Some have begun listing Tall Blue Bellflowers under a new genus (Campanulastrum americana) since they don't have the bell shaped flowers. No clue how they got classified in the first place.

Those damned scientists. Always changing things due to "research" and "reanalysis of existing data". Why can't they make up their minds? :lol: Nice to know there's another flower child on WCF.

Reflection and admitting mistakes in the pursuit of truth and knowledge is becoming more and more rare with each day. But I have hope that our society will return to those norms at some point. Some great wildflowers at Midewin.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
Jecs
Minnow

Postby Woohoodude11 » Aug Wed 01, 2018 12:28 pm

You can teach Bear Grylls some new tricks :lol:

Love your stories. Keep em up!
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Dr. Utssab » Aug Wed 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Nice write up! Looks like fly rod conditions to me...
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Wed 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Dr. U, it would be for you but not for hacks like me. Roll casts are required.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Dr. Utssab » Aug Wed 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Having trouble roll casting Rambler? Graphite rod?
Dr. Utssab
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Aug Wed 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Nice pics. Looks nice and cool (temperature wise) in that creek
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Aug Thu 02, 2018 9:52 am

Dr. U: Roll casts - me??? Hah! That'll be the day. Just could never figure it out. And yes, graphite rod.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Aug Thu 02, 2018 10:20 am

Great write up and pics Rambler
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Fri 03, 2018 9:37 am

Jecs wrote:Reflection and admitting mistakes in the pursuit of truth and knowledge is becoming more and more rare with each day. But I have hope that our society will return to those norms at some point. Some great wildflowers at Midewin.

These are dangerous words. Next you'll be telling me "fake news" is real and I should believe what I hear and see. What are you thinking?

Never been to Midewin - would like to get there sometime. Wolf Rd and Nachusa are wonderful too.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Sat 04, 2018 10:01 am

Update: The bruise on my right forearm is worse than I first thought. Thought I'd share a pic with the warning, "Don't try this at home" but then unless you live near a canyon & like trying to lower yourself in by tree roots you can't try this at home anyway.

Told my brother about it & he said, "How old are you?" :lol:

This is the closest I've ever come to a selfie.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Aug Sat 04, 2018 10:36 am

Rambler wrote:The bruise on my right forearm is worse than I first thought

Life can be colorful at times and I would say the exploration was well worth the outcome.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Return to Other Rivers/Tributaries