Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Lower Salt Creek. Gnats, gnats and...

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Aux Pleins 
#1 ·
more f'ing gnats!

Spring must have sprung. Went to one of my spots on SC today for a shakedown. Just respooled my UL President (just occurred to me that we have a UL President in the White House too but that's another story) and haven't had a chance to try out the Cabelas Fishing Eagle UL rod I bought last Fall.

Got to the creek and found CLOUDS of those little, white gnats that are a complete pain in the ass. After 4-5 casts I got a birds nest from hell. So I stood there alternating between pulling line and waving my hat at the little MFs. I'm sure the fishing gods were laughing their asses off. I was not all that amused.

Finally got things straightened out - my fault for having spooled too much line - and threw some jigs. No bites or follows. But the Spring peepers were chorusing and the nuthatches, woodpeckers and cardinals were letting the world know what a beautiful day it was.

Off to White Pines tomorrow for my annual attempt at simulating fly fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.