And sometimes a smaller bait is what they want.

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

And sometimes a smaller bait is what they want.

Postby catchafew » May Mon 27, 2019 8:39 pm

I hit my usual spot today and taking a chance I figured the musky were gone, and so I just hiked down with one spinning rod.

I started this 20' by 40' side pool with perfunctory offerings of 4" tubes with 1/8oz jigs. I got a few fish but action was slow. And more importantly I noticed I was getting short strikes. Generally short strikes on 4" tubes mean one of two things; dink smallies or rock bass or the fish want something smaller. What confirmed my suspicion is the decent size smallies caught on tubes were barely lipped. Again as has been the past few posts I'm working lures very slow.

After 20 minutes of casting tubes I tied on 3" pearl colored twister tail both on 1/8oz and 1/16oz and caught three times as many fish from the same pool. Fish also took the twister tails deeper than the tubes today. Most fish today were holding close to large boulders close to the main current. Give credit where credit is due and Ken G is right little grubs can be a fish magnet, though I'm not 100% if color is a factor today. Downside of little 3" grubs even with 1/8oz is that they don't cast far, increasing jig weight changes the dynamics I'm looking for.

Don't hold to rigid dogmas and let the fish tell you what they want. Who knows maybe I'll catching the same smallies tomorrow on 6" Jakes.

12 fish today in about 90 minutes, still a little slow. I tried other pools 50 to 100 yards downstream but nothing. I hope things improve this week.

4" tubes did work but only with a few larger smallies and lots of short strikes today.
20190527_131622.jpg

Got three times as fish from same pool working 3" grubs and a few dink walleyes.
20190527_134930.jpg

3" grub produced some quality smallies and some dinks as well today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: And sometimes a smaller bait is what they want.

Postby Skifish1 » May Tue 28, 2019 8:28 pm

Super looking fish. I never throw anything under 4 inch for smallies but it goes to show you like they say when fishing is slow try downsizing. Could be the case the baitfish in there area were downsized also.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Busse Jim » May Tue 28, 2019 9:08 pm

Super nice Smallies and bonus eyes.
I never let the thought "gotta go smaller" Not, cross my mind. Then i remember "bigger baits catch bigger fish" But most times " go with what always works" wins out. :roll: I'm so conflicted :lol:
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jun Thu 06, 2019 12:46 pm

Nice advice
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to Other Rivers/Tributaries