First decent river smallie for the season

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

First decent river smallie for the season

Postby catchafew » May Tue 28, 2019 9:59 pm

In so many words the smallies are in my waters in force and aggressive. Fished 20:00 to 20:30 and got about 6 fish. Two dinks under 14", two around 18 to 19", dink musky < 30" and one nice smallie just breaking 20".

Most on 4" tubes with 1/8oz jigs. Fish were holding within 12" of large boulders again just outside the fast current. Unlike the past few outings I could work the tubes quickly like an escaping crayfish which drew vicious strikes. I forgot how fun it is to fish these guys on a spinning rod and lighter braid in the 15# to 20# range. The fish were such pigs tonight one of them spit out a 4" minnow as I was lifting him up. When I start to tear up tubes in an outing and the lead jig head exposes itself after every strike I know things have picked up.

Anyways I hope things hold steady weather wise and the river continues to settle down about another 6" to 12".

First one breaking 20" this season from this river.
20190528_215226.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: First decent river smallie for the season

Postby Brett » May Tue 28, 2019 11:14 pm

Nice fish. Just sat down to take a break from packing gear for this weekend. Dug up an assortment of smaller tubes and a few different color twister tails I forgot I had, so between that and the stuff I picked up over the weekend we should be well stocked. Starting to get excited.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Bassin' Ted » May Wed 29, 2019 6:18 am

Great job. Big smallies on tubes and spinning gear is so much fun.
I love the smell of Powerbait in the morning!
Bassin' Ted
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Wed 29, 2019 7:09 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Rivers/Tributaries