Chicago Fishing Forum banner

First decent river smallie for the season

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Rambler 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In so many words the smallies are in my waters in force and aggressive. Fished 20:00 to 20:30 and got about 6 fish. Two dinks under 14", two around 18 to 19", dink musky < 30" and one nice smallie just breaking 20".

Most on 4" tubes with 1/8oz jigs. Fish were holding within 12" of large boulders again just outside the fast current. Unlike the past few outings I could work the tubes quickly like an escaping crayfish which drew vicious strikes. I forgot how fun it is to fish these guys on a spinning rod and lighter braid in the 15# to 20# range. The fish were such pigs tonight one of them spit out a 4" minnow as I was lifting him up. When I start to tear up tubes in an outing and the lead jig head exposes itself after every strike I know things have picked up.

Anyways I hope things hold steady weather wise and the river continues to settle down about another 6" to 12".

First one breaking 20" this season from this river.
20190528_215226.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice fish. Just sat down to take a break from packing gear for this weekend. Dug up an assortment of smaller tubes and a few different color twister tails I forgot I had, so between that and the stuff I picked up over the weekend we should be well stocked. Starting to get excited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.