Salt Creek mini adventure

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

Salt Creek mini adventure

Postby Rambler » Mar Tue 23, 2021 3:17 pm

Went over to my favorite spot the other afternoon for a few hours of pointless casting after granddaddy daycare. One of my casts wound up in the low-hanging branches of a bush on the other side.

Didn't really mind losing the lure - just a jig & twister - but then I noticed that a bunch of my line was in the water. This bothered me - I have a real issue with folks leaving their line lying around.

So I packed up and walked down to the foot bridge and over to the other side. Had to clamber down the steep bank and through what the locals down in the Smokies would call a "hell" (it's hell for a man to make his way through it). But dead reckoning (great navigation system except of course for the name) brought me out of it just about where I figured my lure was.

The branch it was hanging in was just this close. I looked around & found a stick I thought would be long enough. It wasn't. So I stepped into the creek glad to have bothered putting on my Wellingtons. Inched my way out and just as I got the stick hooked on the branch the water over-topped my boots.

Got my lure back and even better, got all the line. Got my feet a bit wet too but well worth it.

BTW - I recently respooled my UL reel with 4 lb fluoro coated copolymer line. Thin as can be & casts a mile (probably why the lure wound up in the bush) but I have to say that 4 lb mono is stronger.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Salt Creek mini adventure

Postby minstrel » Mar Tue 23, 2021 6:40 pm

Your AACB brethren would be proud. :wink:
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Mar Thu 25, 2021 8:46 am

haha reminds me of the dance i do while crossing a creek, chasing gobblers. standing in the creek at 7 am trying to find high enough rocks to step on. sitting on the ground during 1st season with wet feet is no fun at all.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Thu 25, 2021 9:09 am

minstrel wrote:Your AACB brethren would be proud.

Even prouder that I remembered to leave my wallet & phone on the ground well away from the creek. You never know - one of these days I'm liable to take a dip. :shock:
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » Mar Fri 26, 2021 10:10 am

Good one Rambler. We AACB folks salute you. Good move on wallet and cell phone.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Grain » Mar Fri 26, 2021 4:54 pm

I had to google AACB, but I am still not sure whether you all are clinical biochemists, Appalachian blacksmiths, or African bankers.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 27, 2021 8:34 am

Amalgamated Assn of Cheap Bastards. Our spiritual founder was the late, great Ted Williams. He pointed out that there was no reason to pay $35 for a fancy fishing shirt (at the time $35 was big money) when you could get a perfectly good one at Sears (back when Sears still existed) for $5.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jonny2can » Mar Tue 30, 2021 1:37 pm

Was thinking about heading back out there soon but figured I might wait a bit longer till water warms up more
jonny2can
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Mar Tue 30, 2021 5:26 pm

Just got back from there. Caught 2 chubs & had several taps & follows. Should be good soon.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Other Rivers/Tributaries