On the board but still early for my rivers

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

On the board but still early for my rivers

Postby catchafew » Apr Fri 16, 2021 6:24 pm

I hit my hit my usual spot and got one surprise that dumbfounded me as these waters will be teaming musky in a few weeks. I can't imagine these waters stay cool enough to hold brookies but I guess you never know. But last year on another river 50 miles west that's notorious for smallies and pike did land a brookie with a small presentation.
20210416_181957.jpg

Walleye was the only other fish in the last two outings.
20210416_181928.jpg

1/8 oz white marabou crappie jig enticed the Brookie and a white 1/4 oz with a 3" white grub did it for the eye.

Looking forward to the next 6 weeks and a new spot I'm told that is every bit as good my smallie spot I've posted from over the year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: On the board but still early for my rivers

Postby jmdog2003 » Apr Fri 16, 2021 7:47 pm

The colors on those fish are amazing :shock:
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Apr Sat 17, 2021 8:37 am

:shock: Same river, trout, musky, walleye, smallmouth? Dude... super jelly
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mike son » Apr Sat 17, 2021 9:49 am

SpecialEd wrote::shock: Same river, trout, musky, walleye, smallmouth? Dude... super jelly

Haha... THIS! Clean looking brookie, looks wild to me. Maybe they run up to the cooler tribs in summer time and pull out to the main river during the colder months.
mike son
Fishing Czar

Postby matt_ski » Apr Sat 17, 2021 11:06 am

mike son wrote:
SpecialEd wrote::shock: Same river, trout, musky, walleye, smallmouth? Dude... super jelly

Haha... THIS! Clean looking brookie, looks wild to me. Maybe they run up to the cooler tribs in summer time and pull out to the main river during the colder months.

Nice

Do they even stock Brookies? I thought they are the only native trout (actually char) in Wisconsin?
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Apr Sat 17, 2021 1:03 pm

mike son wrote:Maybe they run up to the cooler tribs in summer time and pull out to the main river during the colder months.

I think that's exactly what they do. There are probably no small creeks, brooks, etc in No WI & the UP that don't hold trout during the summer. It's a matter of their source and how shady they are.

There are similar situations with smallies here in IL. I know at least 2 creeks where you can find smallies in the late spring through early fall but not during the winter. Question is, where do they go? Only answer is the bigger rivers the creeks run into.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby catchafew » Apr Sat 17, 2021 7:03 pm

^^^ Likely it's a native brookie, from it's coloration, overall condition and presence of all fins. I've never caught stocked trout to my knowledge, I certainly could be wrong, in any of the trout waters I've fished within a 100 miles me over the decades both in the UP and Wisconsin. That being said I know there are trout hatcheries on both sides of the borders. It was the solitude of fly fishing for trout that brought me up here 30 years ago as I hate crowds. My buddies had no interest in trout fishing and so I had to find bass up here and that's mostly what I'm up to these days.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby matt_ski » Apr Sat 17, 2021 10:13 pm

Rambler wrote:
mike son wrote:Maybe they run up to the cooler tribs in summer time and pull out to the main river during the colder months.

I think that's exactly what they do. There are probably no small creeks, brooks, etc in No WI & the UP that don't hold trout during the summer. It's a matter of their source and how shady they are.

There are similar situations with smallies here in IL. I know at least 2 creeks where you can find smallies in the late spring through early fall but not during the winter. Question is, where do they go? Only answer is the bigger rivers the creeks run into.

Not just here in IL. I read paper where they tracked smallies summer/winter migration up the creeks/tributaries and some reportedly migrated over 50 miles.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Sun 18, 2021 4:52 am

Yes sir. Good to see river action from north country.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby badger75 » Apr Mon 19, 2021 4:34 pm

Nice trout!
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Apr Tue 20, 2021 8:10 am

A couple pretty fish. Very nice.
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."