A couple nice ones.

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

A couple nice ones.

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Fri 30, 2021 10:33 am

Been hitting the Fox for smallies and Des Plaines for Largemouth. Smallies I've been getting on thundercrickets mainly because I enjoy that style of jig fishing. Largemouth been getting around thick weeds with faster less deeper running presentations. I'd like to say this or that works best for bass on the dpr, but really if you can remain snag free they'll hit anything you throw.

So far my most memorable catches have been a channel cat while targeting smallies and huge pike while targeting Largemouth. Is there something random I can target that will accidentally produce a musky? Because my luck is good right now.

Smallie fishing hasn't been that great just yet. Largemouth have been improving well. I lost a true hoss bass yesterday. Heartbreaker.

Screenshot_20210430-070731_PicsArt.jpg

Screenshot_20210430-070020_Instagram.jpg

Bass and Pike video

https://youtu.be/aDAPvjXAR5E

Bass and Pike video
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: A couple nice ones.

Postby FishinMatt » Apr Fri 30, 2021 2:09 pm

Monsters as always. Target some crappie and the musky will surely hit the 1/64th ounce jig.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby urbanHog312 » Apr Fri 30, 2021 2:28 pm

some early fattys very nice.

Target some crappie and the musky will surely hit the 1/64th ounce jig.

i netted a 42 inch musky from lake argyle for my friend who was using the exact setup mentioned above. no idea how we landed the thing on 6 lb floro.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby CBatt2 » Apr Fri 30, 2021 3:09 pm

Great fish! Like the short videos too.

Don't know about musky, but my most disappointing accidental catch was a 20 lb.(+) carp on a little cleo, fishing for kings!
CBatt2
Pan Fish

Postby FishinMatt » Apr Fri 30, 2021 7:19 pm

urbanHog312 wrote:some early fattys very nice.

Target some crappie and the musky will surely hit the 1/64th ounce jig.

i netted a 42 inch musky from lake argyle for my friend who was using the exact setup mentioned above. no idea how we landed the thing on 6 lb floro.

Good old Argyle. Caught a no doubt (at the time) state record saugeye there that I released. A sleeper lake for me in the 90's. Also home to my personal best IL bass.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Busse Jim » Apr Fri 30, 2021 7:56 pm

Nice fish ! :thumbup:

Caught 3 at Shabbona over 2 days with a deep crank decades ago Walleye fishing the deep trees.
Well the 1st was walleye fishin, then I was Musky fishin. :wink: The third time there that year, I had a 4 footer follow the crank or rise up from the depths at it 5 times yet it would not commit !! :x and an hour later caught a 4 lb eye. :shock:the water that day had 8’ visibility in the creek arm.

So I’ll go with , fish for walleye.
Or bass :lol:
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Peter Piper » Apr Fri 30, 2021 8:16 pm

awesome AP! when you say argyle do you mean by WIU? way to go at shanbona jim
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby FishinMatt » Apr Fri 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Peter Piper wrote:you

Yep, that lake was loaded when I went to WIU and literally no one fished it, even when they stocked trout.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby Grain » May Sat 01, 2021 11:14 am

Envious. I've been back to DPR this week, and the only hit I got was when I put the rod down.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » May Sat 01, 2021 1:47 pm

Grain wrote:Envious. I've been back to DPR this week, and the only hit I got was when I put the rod down.

Lmfao hell yes

Good feedback guys. Incidental catches sometimes make an outing great even if its a less desired catch. Still waiting to catch a flathead on an artificial. Been on my to do list for sometime.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Grain » May Sat 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Aux Pleins wrote:
Grain wrote:Envious. I've been back to DPR this week, and the only hit I got was when I put the rod down.

Lmfao hell yes

Good feedback guys. Incidental catches sometimes make an outing great even if its a less desired catch. Still waiting to catch a flathead on an artificial. Been on my to do list for sometime.

Wasn't a catch. I put the rod down for a second to move the lure box out of the way - bang! and it was gone just like that. :evil:
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » May Sun 02, 2021 4:19 am

Grain wrote:
Aux Pleins wrote:

Lmfao hell yes

Wasn't a catch. I put the rod down for a second to move the lure box out of the way - bang! and it was gone just like that. :evil:

My mind was in the gutter. When you said only hit you got is when you put the rod down I thought you were making a refer joke hahahhahah
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » May Sun 02, 2021 8:52 am

Reefer? In the gutter? I was thinking the same thing. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Grain » May Sun 02, 2021 11:31 am

Aux Pleins wrote:reefer

Nah, if I started doing that, it wouldn't be just my gear that ended up on the bottom.
Grain
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Peter Piper » May Mon 03, 2021 8:07 pm

Today at the some DPR "bass" spots between 2 and 3ish I caught a small bass on a chaterbait, the shown pike on a white/blk #5 Mepps and then proceeded to lose 2 large bowfin on the chater. Im sure the hooks did not penetrate enough.

BTW- I caught trout and a lot of bass at argyle around 1983. they rented boats, it was hot. We really drank a lot there. I stayed at macomb 1 summer. Bait shop guy on Jackson told me of strip land with a lake by it.....we found it. too good.

DPR Mike should have good access in his locale right now especially after the rain tonight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Piper
Game Fish

Postby RonG » May Tue 04, 2021 12:52 am

Catching gators wearing a gator!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » May Tue 04, 2021 5:55 am

Solid fun. Dog packs will be running wild now that the temps are up.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby mike son » May Wed 05, 2021 8:58 pm

Chonks. That channel cat looks stupid fat.

Busse Jim wrote:Nice fish ! :shock:the water that day had 8’ visibility in the creek arm.

Pfffttt. I remember fishing shab at like 13yrs old and a musky came out of the deep trees to follow my jig and grub. Saw it from several feet down. Last couple years, I've never seen visibility greater than 3' or so. Hadn't thought about that much, but thanks for reminding me that I'm not crazy and the viz has been pretty good there :lol:
mike son
Fishing Czar

Return to Other Rivers/Tributaries