First decent day

There are seemingly endless amounts of rivers, creeks and their tributaries throughout northeast Illinois.

First decent day

Postby catchafew » May Sun 02, 2021 11:22 pm

I've been hitting this spot a few times over the past 7 days, I knew the switch would finally flip and today was the day. We didn't hit it to hard but marching orders are now fire for effect for the next few weeks if things play out.

I guess I'm getting old I enjoy watching other at times fishing my my spots more than I do. I let my gf hit the prime spots and she had a great time with her new fancy Croix rod and Diawa reel.

All the usual suspects of: 1/8oz tube jig heads, 3.5" to 4" tubes in slack water, seams and pockets next to the main current got tickets punched. It was worth noting that the bite was subtle as the were lipping the bait. Yes downsizing was tried earlier with
3" white grubs and 1/8oz but with little luck.

Another stupid lesson I failed to remember is that I have no business fishing this river with 8# mono that The Sportsman in Appleton set up her reel with, we lake fish often and 8# mono is a reasonable choice. The Sportsman in Appleton is a classic, old school, fishing store, that good feeling you got when you walked into Ed Shirley's is one that this store invokes. I'll gladly spend a chunk of change there than at Cabelas in Green Bay. Trips to the central Wisconsin our are days in the big city now. Anyway I never had her backup spool loaded with 20# and so I luckily found a shop up here on a Sunday with 20# braid. Back in business with 20# braid she went into beast mode and it was fun to see her move the smallies around.

I'm proud of my gf, she puts up with me, but has come to the conclusion that tubes and grubs are getting boring and she's waiting for top waters, spinnerbaits and squarebills to be effective offerings.
20210502_220233.jpg

Yeah I'm packing on the pounds.
20210502_220517.jpg

Almost 6 years ago she caught her 1st smallie at this spot. She still hangs with us but isn't always interested in fishing. Same girl with her grandma in the first picture.
20210502_222720.jpg

I'm blessed that 95% of the time we have this stretch of river to ourselves.
20210502_220254.jpg

And there goes the neighborhood, I should have moved further north. Well at least he's not looting.
20210502_220406.jpg

A new spot we hit Saturday I hear is everybit as good as my old spot for smallies. I'm looking forward for to fishing it.
20210502_220316.jpg

I lost one dink musky today and other skis are getting into town, they're a ragged bunch of males I'm guessing. The plan is do a room cleaning exercise with the musky for a few dozen casts with proper equipment, make them settle down and get back to the smallies. We'll see how the next few weeks play out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: First decent day

Postby joetrain » May Mon 03, 2021 4:33 am

You and the girls had some fun. Very nice.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Mon 03, 2021 9:44 am

Awesome!

I'd be 98% as entranced with those pics, even without the quality fish in them. Illinois stinks.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby catchafew » May Mon 03, 2021 10:20 am

^^ Ron we can omit the name but one of the new places we fished at is I believe near where you and your wife had your reception, place where you have to cross a steel, single lane bridge? This is big water for me at this new spot.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » May Mon 03, 2021 11:10 am

Wow, that means for 3.5 years, I lived only 20-30 miles from there. I wish I had fished more then. I wish I knew what a jig was then. :oops:
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby catchafew » May Mon 03, 2021 1:18 pm

^^ Ron, Just ping me if you want more full intel. You can drive there in a car, 100 yards of walking and a few steps and rocks to navigate. Tell you're wife you want to renew your vows up theere and then disappear for a few hours.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » May Mon 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Those fish are sure packing on the #'s.

Looks like UP life is good.

Great spring report as usual.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Aux Pleins » May Tue 04, 2021 5:58 am

Definitely need a helmet to kayak there lol. Nice picture. And great smallies.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Brett » May Tue 04, 2021 9:52 am

What in tarnation? Give 'em hell.

Shur set biscuit jig is a great wrinkle to help the amateur distinguish a stealthy tube plucking from the standard bounces and bumps that come with being a tube near white water on those finicky days, as I discovered by accident after Henry's ran short of normal tube jigs. Highly recommended for little ones and brothers using ugly sticks.
Brett
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Rivers/Tributaries