My New Pet

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

My New Pet

Postby KankRat » Nov Sun 15, 2020 4:00 pm

Say Hello to Chuy!

ImageChuy by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Re: My New Pet

Postby RonG » Nov Sun 15, 2020 4:10 pm

Bette Davis Eyes!

I wonder if they realize how cool looking they are. Playing night tennis in Elgin, we used to see a lot of them there on the nets, fences and occasionally flying. We had to check the nets before playing to make sure we didn't accidently splat one with a ball.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby KankRat » Nov Sun 15, 2020 5:58 pm

RonG wrote:Bette Davis Eyes!

I wonder if they realize how cool looking they are. Playing night tennis in Elgin, we used to see a lot of them there on the nets, fences and occasionally flying. We had to check the nets before playing to make sure we didn't accidently splat one with a ball.

They look cool but really they aren't good at anything but camouflage and ambushing bugs, not so effective with pet shop crickets. I have been pretty much hand feeding this thing or it would starve to death. Good lord, the first time in my life I ever thought of euthanizing a cricket before feeding it to the mantis.
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Postby bobberwatcher » Nov Sun 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Hi Chuy! Cool critter!
bobberwatcher
Fishing Czar

Postby grems » Nov Mon 16, 2020 1:30 pm

By its size I'm guessing it's a female.

Years back, they liked to live in the vines growing up the brick walls of my fraternity house. We decided to capture one as a pet (female) then added another (male). Sure enough they got it on, after which I witnessed what I had heard happened but didn't know was true: the female ate the male!
grems
Game Fish

Postby threeats407 » Nov Mon 16, 2020 7:48 pm

grems wrote:By its size I'm guessing it's a female.

Years back, they liked to live in the vines growing up the brick walls of my fraternity house. We decided to capture one as a pet (female) then added another (male). Sure enough they got it on, after which I witnessed what I had heard happened but didn't know was true: the female ate the male!

Yep. Put two in a jar once when I was about 7, next day one.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Nov Wed 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Up until the last few years I did not even know there was more than one species of mantis in Illinois. The most common is the Chinese mantis (Tenodera sinensis). Those are the big ones you see that are like 5" long. They were introduced in the 1890s. The smaller Carolina Mantis (Stagmomantis carolina) is the only one native to Illinois, I think that is the one I have. It looks a little different than any I have commonly seen. It smaller.
People use the term "Praying Mantis" generically. The European mantis is common out east. Scientific name Mantis religiosa. Probably more appropriate to call that one "Praying" as a common name. Tough I see it spelled "preying" so much for that argument. These three species don't even share the same genus.
That thing about sexual cannibalism is sorta half true. It only happens in the wild about 25% of the time and mantids are cannibals period.
I still don't know how to diffinitly tell them apart. Couple shots I took a while back.

These were of the big honkin' variety. Probably Chinese.
ImageMantis by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

ImageJohnny Mantis by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Postby KankRat » Nov Mon 23, 2020 5:55 pm

Apparently Chuy is a girl.
There is an egg case in the cage today, unfortunately it's cementing the lid to the side. I may tear it trying to get it off. WTF am I going to do with a thousand baby mantids?
I shall rename her Sister Aloysius, after a nun who was my first grade teacher. If Sister A was a bug, she would for sure be a mantis.
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Postby catchafew » Nov Tue 24, 2020 4:25 pm

Had a pet mantis in college for a few weeks that we found on campus garden, during my Renfield days. Guys on the floor would capture large spiders, hornets and flies and feed it. Somebody caught a roach and threw it in with the mantis but the mantis never attacked it, guessing it was too large.

Thankfully they're not larger but I'm sure they inspired Guillermo del Toro and others.
20201124_151427.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Nov Wed 25, 2020 2:13 pm

catchafew wrote:Had a pet mantis in college for a few weeks that we found on campus garden, during my Renfield days. Guys on the floor would capture large spiders, hornets and flies and feed it. Somebody caught a roach and threw it in with the mantis but the mantis never attacked it, guessing it was too large.

Thankfully they're not larger but I'm sure they inspired Guillermo del Toro and others.
20201124_151427.jpg

I had a plastic model of that monster when I was a kid, along with all the other monster models that are worth obscene amounts of money.
KankRat
Fishing Czar

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More