A glimpse of pre-settlement Illinois

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

A glimpse of pre-settlement Illinois

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sat 20, 2021 11:11 am

This is thought to be largest granite boulder on dry land in Illinois. This rock is an amazing sight. It shines and sparkles like a fancy kitchen counter top. Its about the size of two Amazon delivery vans put together and was deposited here by the Laurentide ice sheet 12,000yrs ago.

The rock has long been forgotten and is now surrounded by a thicket of trees and invasive buckthorn with not so much as a game trail or a foot of clearing to get to it. Nobody visits it. But for thousands of years this rock shined like a beacon along a busy trail resting a top a bed of shortgrass praire that stretched for miles along the high ground west of the Des Plaines River Valley. This was a trail that was heavily traversed by early natives and nomadic tribes hunting throughout the Great lakes region.

If you think that route through the area was important for early humans? Today Milwaukee Ave, Skokie Hwy (rt41), and interstate 94 still follow that same route within a stones throw.

Unfortunately the rock is on a large tract of wooded private land and is not open for visitation. Imo it should be purchased by the state and opened for visitation. But I can also see that leading to vandalism.

IMG_20210319_143545_479.jpg

IMG_20210319_143545_504.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: A glimpse of pre-settlement Illinois

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 20, 2021 11:27 am

Good stuff Aux. Did you ask permission?

Aux Pleins wrote:But I can also see that leading to vandalism

Yep - the assholes would spray paint the shit out of it.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby threeats407 » Mar Sat 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Yep. Hiked untold miles in New Mexico badlands and saw a number of hoo doos in the middle of nowhere defaced by people carving their names into the things. At least Inscription Rock has people keeping an eye out so Joe Blow can't scratch his name underneath Onates. One of the downsides of social media is that people who find these almost unknown spots feel a need to blab them up so everyone can find them.

Lots of interesting history to be found. I've heard Ridge Road was where the lake shore was at one time.
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby matt_ski » Mar Sat 20, 2021 3:28 pm

It remains private probably for the better.
I sometimes fish a certain creek that recently has gained public access. While it is still beautiful, little known spot I definitely started picking up more trash.
One of the reasons I don’t post even general names of places I fish anymore - to protect them from disrespectful yahoos lurking the inter webs and fishing for attention.
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More