Onward Through The Fog

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

Onward Through The Fog

Postby Rambler » Nov Fri 18, 2016 9:44 am

Stopped at a Dupage Forest Preserve lake on the way to the office Tuesday AM. My trips out there are dwindling down with the days. I'm retiring at the end of the month.

Took a walk to appreciate the fog. I've caught a number of nice bass in that lake over the years. The best one was probably over 3 lbs. Caught it on 4lb line & a rebel frog.

The fog was condensing on the trees so it seemed like it was drizzling in the woods while it was relatively dry on the trail around the lake.

It took me back to the Spring of 1974. My younger brother & I backpacked from Cades Cove to Deep Creek in the Great Smokies. We spent one night at Spence Field on the main crest. After stashing our gear we scrambled up to Rocky Top ("Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee") to count the clouds that were scraping their bellies on Clingman's Dome. As perfect a day as there ever was.

The next morning a fog had come in and we made our way through it down into Hazel Creek. That evening we had our first and thank god, only encounter with an angry wild boar. I'm not sure if I've ever been so scarred. 300 lbs of black, tusked fury. Still wonder how we managed to not wind up as pig slop.

Our nation is headed into foggy days. I hope we have the same luck I did on that day in 1974.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Onward Through The Fog

Postby joetrain » Nov Fri 18, 2016 10:14 am

Good luck on the retirement Rambler. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I enjoy mine. I'll be heading to Florida this winter again so when I get back let's get our canoes out somewhere and wet a line.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Nov Fri 18, 2016 11:10 am

Thanks Joe - enjoy FL while the rest of us old farts freeze our asses off. Give me a heads-up when you migrate back north. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JB » Nov Fri 18, 2016 12:35 pm

Clingmans Dome. Isn't that on the AT?
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Nov Fri 18, 2016 2:47 pm

JB: Yes. As it passes through Great Smoky Mountains Nat Park the AT stays close to the main crest of the range. At 6,240 ft Clingman is the highest peak in the Smokies (and 2nd only to Mt. Mitchell in the Black Mtns of NC in the Southeast) & so the AT passes pretty near its top. You can drive to the top via a branch off the Newfound Gap Rd. There's an observation tower on top.

Here's a picture of the Smokies from Spence Field above Cades Cove. I have a shot of Clingman but it's not a very good picture as it has me in the foreground.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More