Bird of Prey

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

Bird of Prey

Postby coyote » Mar Sun 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Was driving in the Crystal Lake Area this morning and for the life of me i could not figure out what this raptor was. I did get pic but does not do bird justice . It was the size of a large Red tailed Hawk but was not one. It had what i thought was a blueish tinge on its wings. When i first saw from a distance i thought it was aTurkey. I looked up Birds and maybe it was a Osprey any thoughts on what i saw? Was at the edge of a Golf course 10 feet off the road when i first saw him, when i swung back to get a better look and take a pic. Seen so many Hawks out here but this guy was defintly different
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Bird of Prey

Postby RonG » Mar Sun 12, 2017 6:04 pm

I went to high school with some kids whose last name was Osturk. Maybe it was an Osturk, a cross between the two? Without a pic, that's my guess.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 13, 2017 7:05 am

Can't help much without a picture.

I took a short walk the other day. Stepped off the path to visit the governor. Just when I finished a female Coopers Hawk came down & grabbed a chipmunk on a log about 20' from me. She flew up to a dead branch & had lunch. Bad day for the chipmunk but really great to watch her devour it.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby WaterGuy » Mar Mon 13, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah, hard to say without pics. An osprey would be black and white mostly. White body for the most part with black on the head, wings, and tail. They are around here, but I see them alot less than eagles. There has been a nesting pair in south elgin the last few years.
WaterGuy
2013 WCF Fantasy Football Champion

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 13, 2017 10:41 am

On further unreview you might have seen a peregrine. The males have 'bluish' or gray-blue markings on their backs. GREAT bird. They've been making a comeback around here for the past several years.

http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird ... ine-falcon
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby coyote » Mar Mon 13, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks Guys for input, it sure seems to be a Perigrine Falcon , thanks so much for pointing it out . Rambler good catch.
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Mon 13, 2017 12:48 pm

You might find it interesting that for years (centuries?) scientists assumed falcons were related to hawks and eagles. In fact in most bird books they are usually still categorized in the same group with hawks & eagles.

However, recent DNA studies show that falcons are much more closely related to parrots than to other hawks. Sometimes Mother Nature just loves to play with our minds.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More