The family that browses together

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

The family that browses together

Postby Rambler » Jul Wed 19, 2017 10:55 am

I've been regularly spotting 2 does with fawns - 1 has 2, the other 1 - during my woodland strolls. The one with 2 doesn't seem too concerned when I stop to watch them and her fawns are almost too curious.

Yesterday I saw them & got these shots.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: The family that browses together

Postby Afalconsvick » Jul Wed 19, 2017 11:23 am

Very cool. I live right by North & 83 in Villa Park. I'm a 3 minute walk from Salt Creek. I see deer almost everyday walking my dog through a short part of the trail. At night I often see as many as 3 or 4 wandering the neighborhood as far as 1/2 mile from the nearest woodsy part by the creek.
-Site Moderator
Afalconsvick
Site Moderator

Postby Skifish1 » Jul Wed 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I see food.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Thu 20, 2017 7:06 am

Skifish1 wrote:I see food.

The DOB (Defenders Of Bambi) people are watching - better be careful.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jul Thu 20, 2017 7:09 am

Skifish1 wrote:I see food.

:lol:

I didn't want to be the one to say it first, but it was my thought too. Haha. I see some backstraps, jerky, and sausage there that are mighty tasty.

Although those fawn are definitely cute little bastards.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Thu 20, 2017 11:56 am

For the record I'm not a hunter but I'm not anti-hunting. Since we've eliminated all the apex predators from our area someone has to keep the deer heard under control.

Back in the 80s when I used to walk in Busse a lot it was clear that deer over population was destroying the forest. You could see a browse line wherever you looked. The FPD send professional hunters in & had something like 700 deer culled. The venison was all sent to food kitchens in the inner city. Totally appropriate.

Having said all that, there's been poaching in the woods I walk in daily. Last winter when I was talking with some of the crew the FPD sent in to clear out invasives they told me they'd found arrows in the woods. From what they described they were crossbow bolts with hunting heads. I also talked with a guy who said he'd found a buck with his rack cut off & thought he'd seen a guy in a tree stand.

If I ever see one of these MFs I'm calling the cops, the DNR, Nation Guard and anyone else I can think of.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Jul Thu 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Rambler wrote:For the record I'm not a hunter but I'm not anti-hunting. Since we've eliminated all the apex predators from our area someone has to keep the deer heard under control.

Back in the 80s when I used to walk in Busse a lot it was clear that deer over population was destroying the forest. You could see a browse line wherever you looked. The FPD send professional hunters in & had something like 700 deer culled. The venison was all sent to food kitchens in the inner city. Totally appropriate.

Having said all that, there's been poaching in the woods I walk in daily. Last winter when I was talking with some of the crew the FPD sent in to clear out invasives they told me they'd found arrows in the woods. From what they described they were crossbow bolts with hunting heads. I also talked with a guy who said he'd found a buck with his rack cut off & thought he'd seen a guy in a tree stand.

If I ever see one of these MFs I'm calling the cops, the DNR, Nation Guard and anyone else I can think of.

Agreed.

I'm not a hunter either, but I'm not anti-hunting. Same as you. I just love venison. :D

Anyone caught poaching needs to get busted. And I'd immediately call if I saw it.

But, like you said, the deer population was so out of control up until they started to cull. I drove past one field like 10 years ago and stopped and counted 57 deer in one field right at dusk... Who knows how many were hidden, or in other areas, yano?
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby UglyStick » Jul Thu 20, 2017 2:39 pm

I sure do miss the white ones out by Waterfall Glen in Dupage. Used to be a planned event.
UglyStick
Pan Fish

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Thu 27, 2017 7:37 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
Rambler wrote:For the record I'm not a hunter but I'm not anti-hunting. Since we've eliminated all the apex predators from our area someone has to keep the deer heard under control.

I drove past one field like 10 years ago and stopped and counted 57 deer in one field right at dusk... Who knows how many were hidden, or in other areas, yano?

Schiller Woods at East River Road? Those beasts are hand fed and completely lost the fear of man.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Thu 27, 2017 7:52 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:Schiller Woods at East River Road? Those beasts are hand fed and completely lost the fear of man.

No - Thatcher Woods. And yes, people shouldn't feed the wildlife. They think they're doing the critters a favor but in fact are doing considerable harm. They forget how to forage for themselves.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Sat 29, 2017 11:29 am

Hey Rambler! I know you're into birds and I thought you'd dig this. At my work theres been a pair of these hanging around. After a google consult I'm guessing they're Sandhill Cranes? Never seen one before, they're colossal!

Of course the pic gets needlessly flipped :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 29, 2017 11:34 am

Yep -Sandhills. Great birds. Thanks.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More