Foraging NE Illinois

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

Foraging NE Illinois

Postby mangostenmaster » Oct Fri 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Hi everybody,
I first started foraging for fruits in the wild as a starving undergraduate at Urbana-Champaign. It was in the forests nearby where I first found wild raspberries and pawpaws, and immediately I was hooked. Now that I'm back in Chicago, I was wondering if anybody knew of any places nearby that permit foraging. I know for a fact that Illinois State Parks do not, nor does Lake County. But if anybody has any experience with this, please let me know!
Thanks,
Mango.
mangostenmaster
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Foraging NE Illinois

Postby RonG » Oct Sat 21, 2017 12:09 am

I don't think there are any mangoes nearby, but there is other stuff, mostly in neighborhoods. I saw a news story just this week on it and there are online maps and phone apps if you search around, unfortunately most seem to be California-based (the land of fruits and nuts)

http://fallingfruit.org/
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Sat 21, 2017 3:56 am

Tons of Coconuts floating along the Des Plaines.

Cook county guys, wait till the river recedes off the low lying flood plains, then go check out any left pileups on shore and you will find your coconuts in those pile ups.

Don't believe me, ask other hardcore dpr guys like skifish1, river coconuts are a new phenomenon :crazy: :crazy:

I've mentioned them before, I don't get it, there are hundreds in a mile stretch of flood plain probably. And this is year after year. I don't get how that many could come from some bank stability projects.

Aliens bruh.....
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Sat 21, 2017 6:46 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Tons of Coconuts floating along the Des Plaines.

Cook county guys, wait till the river recedes off the low lying flood plains, then go check out any left pileups on shore and you will find your coconuts in those pile ups.

Don't believe me, ask other hardcore dpr guys like skifish1, river coconuts are a new phenomenon :crazy: :crazy:

I've mentioned them before, I don't get it, there are hundreds in a mile stretch of flood plain probably. And this is year after year. I don't get how that many could come from some bank stability projects.

Aliens bruh.....

You just reminded me something I meant to ask a couple months ago...I've seen a LOT of halved coconuts this year. It started at Busse in the North Pool and then the DPR off of Miner and every once in awhile I'll see em at the other lakes I stop at. Is there something I'm missing?
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby matt_ski » Oct Sat 21, 2017 7:42 am

I could not stop laughing about those coconuts.

If you go out towards rockford you can forage in forest preserves along kishwaukee river. Never focused on it but i did find morels once while bushwacking
matt_ski
Fishing Fanatic

Postby badger75 » Oct Sat 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Along the Fox if you can miss the poison ivy, you can find several types of berries. Especially along the bike trails. Not the time of year for that now, but next year.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Fonzie » Oct Sat 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Hey mangostenmaster ,
What did you think of the Pawpaws ?
I've been growing grafted, named varieties of Pawpaws on and off for years. If your handle is a play on mangosteens, you'll love the tropical flavor of a good Pawpaw.

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie
Game Fish

Postby Skifish1 » Oct Sat 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Ive found cocunuts between romeoville and lemont on a beautifull flood plain i got out and scouted around on while taking a break on a long float. Found them in lake county also. True.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Oct Sat 21, 2017 9:18 pm

I seen these coconuts on my recent trips to the DPR and wondered what these were. I need to bring 1 home and open it up.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rich D » Oct Sat 21, 2017 11:27 pm

Yes! WTF with the halved coconuts?????
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Sun 22, 2017 11:23 am

Rich D wrote:Yes! WTF with the halved coconuts?????

download (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Bobba Down » Oct Sun 22, 2017 7:50 pm

I think I would have to forage for food too if I had to pay tuition at U of I.

Can't help you much on finding twigs and berries to eat, but the state parks are loaded with spring and fall mushrooms you can harvest. If I was going to try to scrounge food off the land, I would start with fish and game.
Bobba Down
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Oct Mon 23, 2017 11:31 am

Just a friendly word of advice, if you decide to forage in my garden like some other scum bag thief did this last summer, you will be met with, ummm... resistance to partaking for your gain.

Otherwise, years ago in Boy Scouts we used to forage in the FPs when we were camping and find lots of goodies. I don't think I could identify many these days myself, other than the wild strawberries in my back yard. Which by the way, are horribly bitter. I do harvest young dandelion greens for salads in early spring and eat some fresh clover blooms on occasion.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Oct Mon 23, 2017 11:38 am

Sorry about the coconuts, guys. Ill make sure to pick up after myself from now on :wink:
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Oct Mon 23, 2017 12:20 pm

Technically, pretty much any Forest Preserve is off limits... There's a saying for the Forest Preserves, "Take nothing out, and leave nothing but footprints." State Parks allow it, though. So you have that option. Other option is to find someone with private land who will give you permission.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Oct Mon 23, 2017 1:10 pm

Coconuts - and the Marx Bros are all dead!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby CBatt2 » Oct Tue 24, 2017 2:44 pm

"Perhaps they migrate!" (I can't believe no one posted this clip yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqtS9xyl0f4
CBatt2
Minnow

Postby DasGoby » Oct Tue 24, 2017 3:56 pm

[youtube]w0AOGeqOnFY[/youtube]
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mangostenmaster » Oct Thu 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Lol at the coconuts.
Fonzie: haha, good catch. Yeah, mangosteen is one of my favorite fruit. The pawpaws I found tasted almost like mango lassi. Really delicious, but hard to find here in NE Illinois.
Badger: I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Have you ever seen huckleberries/blueberries along the river?
SmalliesNECzars: When I emailed the Illinois DNR, they told me it's not permitted. :cry: I know that Wisconsin's DNR allows foraging for berries and morels though, if you come during the right time.
-DS.
mangostenmaster
Fishing Fanatic

Postby badger75 » Oct Thu 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Blueberries need to have there "feet" in the water. The terrain around Batavia is too rocky I think. Water does not stay consistent - way up then way down. I don't think they would survive.
I have not seen any around here.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Fonzie » Oct Sat 28, 2017 11:32 am

Fonzie: haha, good catch. Yeah, mangosteen is one of my favorite fruit. The pawpaws I found tasted almost like mango lassi. Really delicious, but hard to find here in NE Illinois.

I expect to be harvesting my Pawpaws in a few years.
Grafted varieties are 10 times better than something you'd find growing in the wild. Think a mango / banana / muskmelon / papaya / pineapple blend... Delicious

Here's link if anybody is interested: http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/

Lo the angler. He riseth in the early morning and upsetteth the whole household. Mighty are his preparations. He goeth forth with great hope in his heart and when the day is far spent, he returneth, smelling of strong drink, and the truth is not in him.
Fonzie
Game Fish

Postby Woohoodude11 » May Wed 16, 2018 9:05 pm

Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » May Wed 16, 2018 11:20 pm

The universe is abound with idiots
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Thu 17, 2018 9:54 am

Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » May Thu 17, 2018 9:59 am

badger75 wrote:Blueberries need to have there "feet" in the water

Sorry to disagree but when I was a kid & spent summers in MI we picked blueberries in sandy soil not near any water. In my 20s I backpacked into a wilderness area in Alberta & we found blueberries (and a shit load of bears) on the sides of a mountain valley way above any water.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More