Anyone ISO Puffballs?

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

Anyone ISO Puffballs?

Postby SpecialEd » Oct Tue 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Biked some trails through SE Dupage county yesterday afternoon and noticed 6 to 10 large puffballs not too far off the trail. If anyone would like to get them PM me, I'd be more than happy to give location, I only forage morels.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Anyone ISO Puffballs?

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Oct Wed 25, 2017 7:50 am

SpecialEd wrote:Biked some trails through SE Dupage county yesterday afternoon and noticed 6 to 10 large puffballs not too far off the trail. If anyone would like to get them PM me, I'd be more than happy to give location, I only forage morels.

Oh snap!

Haha. I'm with you. I've only ever foraged for morels. On that note, I REALLY have to get out this coming spring for them. It has been two years since I got out and got me some, and I miss those tasty little bastards.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Oct Wed 25, 2017 8:00 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote: It has been two years since I got out and got me some, and I miss those tasty little bastards.

I found a few last year, looked in A LOT of new spots. Year before I stumbled upon a large swath of them on a friend's property. After getting permission, I 1/2 filled a 5 gallon bucket. That was enough for me to eat morels with everything for about a week haha.

I'll go check those puffballs out again today. Might grab one just to try it out.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Oct Wed 25, 2017 8:10 am

I only have a couple spots I really find them. And like I said, haven't been out in two years for em. Unfortunately.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Oct Wed 25, 2017 12:11 pm

What the hell is a puffball :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Oct Wed 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:What the hell is a puffball :lol:

Agreed....share the info Ed! :)
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Oct Wed 25, 2017 2:12 pm

It's a type of wild, edible mushroom. One of the big ones that people hunt for, like morels. It's typically morels in the spring, puffballs in the fall.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Darkstar72 » Oct Wed 25, 2017 3:52 pm

Thanks S&E!

Slightly embarrassed that a quick Google could have told me that. I figured that was mushroom hunter slang or some species I didn't know.

I did find this so any novice puffball hunters should take heed:

Are puffballs poisonous?
While most puffballs are not poisonous, some often look similar to young agarics, especially the deadly Amanitas, such as the death cap or destroying angel mushrooms. It is for this reason that all puffballs gathered in mushroom hunting are cut in half lengthwise.
Darkstar72
Fishing Czar

Postby threeats407 » Oct Wed 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:What the hell is a puffball :lol:

Go ask Alice
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Oct Thu 26, 2017 7:35 am

Darkstar72 wrote:Thanks S&E!

Slightly embarrassed that a quick Google could have told me that. I figured that was mushroom hunter slang or some species I didn't know.

I did find this so any novice puffball hunters should take heed:

Are puffballs poisonous?
While most puffballs are not poisonous, some often look similar to young agarics, especially the deadly Amanitas, such as the death cap or destroying angel mushrooms. It is for this reason that all puffballs gathered in mushroom hunting are cut in half lengthwise.

No problem. And just so you know, it's next to impossible to mistake a puffball for a death cap or destroying angel mushroom. Unless you're blind, at least. Those two look nothing like puffballs. Do a quick google image search and you'll see what I'm talking about. If I were to pick puffballs, I'd never pick a single one with a stalk. The vast majority have no stalk, they're just a big ball laying on the ground.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mangostenmaster » Oct Thu 26, 2017 4:43 pm

Are they easy to identify safely?
mangostenmaster
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SpecialEd » Oct Fri 27, 2017 9:08 am

mangostenmaster wrote:Are they easy to identify safely?

Yes.

It looks like a big white orb and when you cut into it, the insides are uniformly white and of uniform texture. If you cut into a big mushroom ball and it's grey or not uniform in color/texture on the whole inside, it's not a puffball. I'll get a couple pictures up this afternoon of the ones I'm referencing. They get really big and that's a huge identifier there. Softball size ones are considered very small. I've seen some the size of beach balls.

Everyone I know that eats foraged shrooms says the puffballs are very tasty.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More