Monarch Laying Eggs- PLANT MILKWEED

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

Monarch Laying Eggs- PLANT MILKWEED

Postby KankRat » Jul Sat 07, 2018 11:00 pm

This is sooo cool!

A couple milkweed plants, sprouted up around my flower box. They were there last year but no monarchs. This gal, came around on a mission and hung around for about an hour. There are eggs all over these plants.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Monarch Laying Eggs- PLANT MILKWEED

Postby Rambler » Jul Sun 08, 2018 6:08 am

No picture. But you're right - everyone should plant milkweeds. I have both common & marsh growing in my yard.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Jul Sun 08, 2018 7:57 am

If it is a weed variety I am sure I have some in the garden.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jul Sun 08, 2018 8:32 am

vman01 wrote:If it is a weed variety I am sure I have some in the garden.

The definition of a weed is basically any plant that's growing where it's not wanted.

That being said there are plenty of natives that are called weeds. Milkweed (several species in our area), Ironweed, and my favorite, Joe Pye weed. There are lots of others. Just because it's called a weed doesn't make it a weed.

In the old days people named plants for how they looked (duh) or by their supposed medicinal uses. So we got Fleabane (supposedly keeps fleas away) Liverwort (leaves look like a liver and 'wort' is old English for plant). Bellwort's flowers hang like bells. Touch-me-not's ripe seed pods explode when touched. And on it goes...
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Jul Mon 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Grabbed this picture while fishing yesterday of what I believe is type of milkweed in bloom. Plenty of them and also black raspberries ripe and ready for the picking at most FPs.
IMG_0411 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jul Mon 09, 2018 5:10 pm

Those are common milkweeds. Lots of them grow in our area but not enough - there used to be lots more and consequently there used to be lots more Monarchs.

Milkweeds (all species) are mildly toxic. Animals won't touch them. If people eat them they get sick - sometimes seriously. But milkweeds are the only plants Monarch caterpillars eat - the only one they can eat. Monarchs lay their eggs on them. No milkweeds, no Monarchs.

Interesting to note that their diet make Monarch caterpillars and adults nasty tasting - birds and other predators leave them alone. And through the mystery of evolution Viceroy butterflies have taken on the looks of Monarchs - helps them avoid getting eaten too.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jmdog2003 » Jul Mon 09, 2018 5:49 pm

I'm always careful to sidestep milkweed when I'm traipsing around a fishing hole. Gotta protect them butterflies.
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Jul Tue 10, 2018 1:25 am

Never knew the relationship. Thanks for the information it furthers the appreciation beyond what is notice at first glance.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby KankRat » Jul Tue 10, 2018 5:38 pm

KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More