Belated post for last weekend

Venturing into the great outdoors throughout Chicagoland. More that just fishing - hiking, biking, nature trails, nature centers, geocaching, sights to see, etc., etc.

Belated post for last weekend

Postby Rambler » Oct Fri 19, 2018 7:13 am

I'm posting this here because it includes 2 outings & 3 different spots.

I'd originally planned to head north to the Nicolet last weekend but the weather reports for up there continued to be spotty. My fall-back was to camp at Apple River Canyon & do some fly fishing. The weather report dissuaded me - it was going to be sub-freezing at night. I don't mind cool/cold temps but the thought of having to step out of my tent at least twice in the middle of the night to visit the governor (the bane of old men) in sub-freezing temps really put me off. I'm going totally soft in my old age.

So instead I opted to stay home & visit a few different places. Got up Friday AM & headed out to the Kish. Cold, raw day. Hit the Oak Ridge FP first but the water was too high for wading & the shore fishing there wasn't inviting. So I headed to Deer Run. Again, too high for wading but I spent several hours walking along the bank casting to likely spots. No takers. Lost a great, old Mepps #5. Bummer.

At one point a Coopers Hawk flew down the river and made an abrupt turn into the bushes on the other side. A bunch of little birds came flying out in a frenzy. The hawk had totally whiffed so it continued on its way. Flocks of wood ducks and Sandhills passed overhead. Winter is coming.

After lunch I drove up to Glacial Park in McHenry Cty & spent some time tossing spinners & spinnerbaits. Again, no takers. So I headed home.

The next day I took my canoe out to Busse. Paddled west to the dam throwing buzzbaits. Switched to a lipless Rapala by the dam but nobody seemed interested. Paddled over to the channel to CWB & went to a orange & yellow jig & twister with a safetypin spinner. Caught a nice 12" LMB along the south side of the channel by a laydown.

Moved out into CWB & switched back to a buzzbait. It got hammered after a few casts. Fat 14"er. Sorry - no pics. Went around to the little cove to the south & spent another hour or so throwing the buzzbait.

It occurred to me that while Canada geese are nasty to almost everything & everybody they not only tolerate Mallards, they're positively buddy-buddy with them. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

I couldn't have asked for 2 more different days. Friday was brutally raw. Gray with a cold north wind. Saturday was a picture-postcard Fall day. All-in-all a great weekend.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Belated post for last weekend

Postby RonG » Oct Fri 19, 2018 9:06 am

Rambler wrote:I don't mind cool/cold temps but the thought of having to step out of my tent at least twice in the middle of the night to visit the governor (the bane of old men) in sub-freezing temps really put me off. I'm going totally soft in my old age.

Have you considered Depends? Instead of going out and freezing twice a night, you could actually warm yourself up twice a night and have a cozy sleep. :idea: In the morning you can cut the soaked Depends into little squares and use them for cut bait if you are into catfish fishing.

Alternatively, there's always the old milk jug method or bring a length of gutter drain pipe and poke it out the bottom of your tent door. ...lots of ways to avoid going outside and freezing

Canada geese are also very arrogant. They won't move for my car and think they own the road.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby vman01 » Oct Fri 19, 2018 10:45 am

Nice read decent weather for this time of year and some fish too. Pisscycle weather is nearing.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby joetrain » Oct Fri 19, 2018 11:51 am

Glad to see you getting out there. I must not be old because I sleep through the night.

The weather is starting to cool off here along with the water temperatures. I caught a real nice bass yesterday ( 4 lb class) and thought I was taking its picture when I discovered my camera wasn’t charged. DOH.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Oct Sat 20, 2018 6:04 am

Nice report Rambler. I tried to wonder about the geese mallard connection but came up empty, sorry

joetrain wrote:Glad to see you getting out there. I must not be old because I sleep through the night.

The weather is starting to cool off here along with the water temperatures. I caught a real nice bass yesterday ( 4 lb class) and thought I was taking its picture when I discovered my camera wasn’t charged. DOH.

~JOE~

Uh-huh, the old “dead battery” excuse. Actually, forget a camera and scale and it’s assured you’ll catch one where you’d want both.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Oct Sat 20, 2018 6:54 am

RonG wrote:Have you considered Depends? Instead of going out and freezing twice a night, you could actually warm yourself up twice a night and have a cozy sleep. :idea: In the morning you can cut the soaked Depends into little squares and use them for cut bait if you are into catfish fishing.

Great idea Ron. Tell you what, why don't you buy some Depends & test your theory? Do posterity a favor & report your findings here.

joetrain wrote:I must not be old because I sleep through the night.

Either that or you're not drinking enough water. Hydration is important - especially in the hot South. Pissing in the night is much better than kidney stones. Just sayin'...
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Chicago Outdoors & More