Almost Fishless Friday

Skokie Lagoons - Cook County, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Almost Fishless Friday

Postby Rambler » Aug Sat 03, 2019 9:57 am

Met my best friend below the check dam south of Tower. On the water by 2:30. Fished the far shore & worked our way south & down the west channel.

I started out with a new 1/8 oz black & red buzzbait. Beautiful day but no action. Watched a little bird harass a redtail hawk and kingbirds nailing bugs over the water. A great blue heron croaked at us as we passed.

Switched to a chartreuse buzzbait. No change so I tried a couple different colors of jig/twisters with safety pin spinners. The bass remained unimpressed.

My buddy switched to a frog & fished the duck weed. I tried a suspending Rapala. Had a couple casual taps but nothing serious. Time was getting on (that great American sage, Yogi Berra would say, "It's getting late early around here") so I went to a white buzzbait. Got 2 more serious hits. I thought maybe they were beginning to turn on. I was wrong.

Finally with the sun just about to say good night I hooked a decent although not big, bass. Probably 12". In keeping with the tradition of smaller ones putting up the best fight it fought up to and in the canoe. When I tossed it back it let me know its displeasure with me by jumping a couple times before taking off.

My buddy caught 2 little ones on buzzbaits. Nothing to write home about but better than a skunking. An absolutely gorgeous day.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Almost Fishless Friday

Postby joetrain » Aug Sat 03, 2019 10:37 am

Sounds like a good day to me. Enjoying life and a bass to boot.
~JOE
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Aug Sat 03, 2019 11:16 am

When I get out on a nice day and get skunked I smile, when I get out on a nice day and catch a fish I smile even more.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Aug Sun 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Why play with salt and goons when DPR is rocking now. Take your buzzbaits there.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Mon 05, 2019 5:03 am

Nice creekN report.

Just a heads up, flow is getting right for a Grand Ave outing. Get that ultra light out with a few hair jigs or a really small beetle spin. Work the riffles, but mainly cast under the bridge right up against the wall that makes up the path tunnel.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Lip_Yanker » Aug Mon 05, 2019 12:09 pm

Sounds like it was definitely better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Tue 06, 2019 7:31 am

Aux Pleins wrote:Just a heads up, flow is getting right for a Grand Ave outing. Get that ultra light out with a few hair jigs or a really small beetle spin. Work the riffles, but mainly cast under the bridge right up against the wall that makes up the path tunnel.

I don't know Aux. Last time I took your advice on this all I caught was a crayfish. If the rain cooperates I'm heading out to the west branch of the Dupe later today.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Tue 06, 2019 7:34 am

We got rain, probably messed up the flow too much for that delicate area. I'm keeping an eye out though, I'm itching for some red eye demons.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby urbanHog312 » Aug Tue 06, 2019 9:27 am

If the rain cooperates I'm heading out to the west branch of the Dupe later today.

not much rain by me last night. WB looked fine when i drove over this morning
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Skokie Lagoons