April 7th

Skokie Lagoons - Cook County, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

April 7th

Postby fishkel » Apr Tue 07, 2020 7:37 pm

One of the best days to fish this month according to the solar/lunar calendar. But the best time to fish is when you can. Got out during peak time 10:30 to 2:00 and caught 5 prespawn egg laden female bass all over 15 inches but none bigger than 18. All came on a chatterbait, slightly off the bank. Saw a guy catch a nice bass from shore and tried my best to shame him into letting it go without being too rude. He wouldn't have any of it, but he did leave with his fish. Can't believe people want to eat them from this body of water? Help preserve the resource, (we're sharing it with 8 million people) and recycle your fish. If you eat them you can only catch them once. Fins up and keep the faith.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishkel
Minnow

Re: April 7th

Postby polishfly » Apr Tue 07, 2020 8:46 pm

Sounds like a solid outing! Nice fish mannn
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Wed 08, 2020 3:22 am

Sounds like some good goon bass. I stopped tying to talk people out of taking bass, unless they’re smallies that guys are taking off their beds Downtown. Then I just kick their buckets over and release them :D
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Apr Wed 08, 2020 10:05 am

You did good. Keep on em
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Apr Wed 08, 2020 10:27 am

Love the 'goons but no way would I eat any fish from there.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Brandon » Apr Thu 09, 2020 10:48 am

That’s a real nice day at the goons. I took a 3 hour skunk yesterday. Saw a giant hunkered down under a tree, no takers though.
"I am a law only for my kind, I am no law for all." -Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Brandon
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby LMV-Fish » Apr Thu 09, 2020 1:26 pm

What areas of the lagoons do you guys have success? I usually fish the lakefront but due to the lockdown I have been going to the lagoons but have only tried 1 area with no success
LMV-Fish
Minnow

Postby joetrain » Apr Thu 09, 2020 2:03 pm

I know these areas will produce this time of year.
~JOE~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby monty » Apr Mon 13, 2020 9:10 am

Joe Where do you load your kayak to get to those north areas?
monty
Minnow

Postby joetrain » Apr Mon 13, 2020 9:33 am

Park on the road and either wheel or carry in and launch from the shore.
~JOE~
Dropped pin
Near Cook County, IL
https://goo.gl/maps/aJKi3XEQGNRLsyZK6
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Mon 13, 2020 10:08 am

monty wrote:Joe Where do you load your kayak to get to those north areas?

Hmm...the spots Joe has highlighted are among the least accessible at Skokie Lagoons.

If you put in off of Forestway Dr. just as it curves to the east south of Dundee you'll find yourself in a 'landlocked' lagoon (#6). To get to where he's talking about you need to paddle along the north bank until you come to the causeway that connects what would otherwise be an island to the 'mainland'. You can see the causeway at the lower right of Joe's map. Portaging over the causeway will get you into Joe's area. It's pretty deep on both sides so be careful.

Once you're north of the causeway you can paddle up to the Dundee bridge & if you want, paddle around the 'island' and down into the west channel of the lagoons. BTW - north of Dundee is the Botanic Garden - paddling up there is verboten.

Going south in the west channel you'll come to a very narrow spot. Sometimes it looks like it's closed off but you should be able to push your way through. This is where there was once a bridge made of heavy timbers the CCC used in the 30s to get heavy equipment into the area where they were digging out the lagoons. They did it by hand for the 1st 2 years or so! Whenever you hear someone say how useless the government is consider the fact that the wonderful resource of the lagoons wouldn't be there without FDR and the CCC. That area used to be called the Chewab Skokie - Pottawatomie for 'Big Marsh' - which is what it was before the government dug it out. The bridge got taken out by ice flows back in the bad winters we had in the mid & late 70s.

BTW - the government went back in in the 90s and dredged the lagoons back to their original depths. Before that there was about a foot of water and 10 - 15 feet of muck due to silting. Not very good for bass.

Going down the west channel you have the option of portaging back into lagoon #6 or going all the way down to Tower Rd, swinging back up the east channel and portaging over the dam that backs lagoon #6.

If you want to portage stay on the east side of the west channel and watch for the portage site. This portage is only 15 feet or so across. Again, deep on both sides so be careful. If you choose to continue south be sure to fish around the islands above the Tower Rd dam and above & below the dam.

Suggest you take binoculars - the lagoons are one of the premier birding areas in Chicagoland & you might see species you won't see anywhere else around here.

Have fun!

PS - there are very good maps available on line. Suggest you print one out & take it along until you get to know the area.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Apr Mon 13, 2020 10:38 am

Great job, fishkill!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Apr Mon 13, 2020 10:53 am

Oops I marked up the wrong spot. Not intentional I promise.
This is the right area. Honestly this time of year just about any of the downed trees will hold fish. You may have to fight off some geese though.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 14, 2020 5:41 pm

Rambler wrote:
monty wrote:Joe Where do you load your kayak to get to those north areas?

Hmm...the spots Joe has highlighted are among the least accessible at Skokie Lagoons.

If you put in off of Forestway Dr. just as it curves to the east south of Dundee you'll find yourself in a 'landlocked' lagoon (#6). To get to where he's talking about you need to paddle along the north bank until you come to the causeway that connects what would otherwise be an island to the 'mainland'. You can see the causeway at the lower right of Joe's map. Portaging over the causeway will get you into Joe's area. It's pretty deep on both sides so be careful.

Once you're north of the causeway you can paddle up to the Dundee bridge & if you want, paddle around the 'island' and down into the west channel of the lagoons. BTW - north of Dundee is the Botanic Garden - paddling up there is verboten.

Going south in the west channel you'll come to a very narrow spot. Sometimes it looks like it's closed off but you should be able to push your way through. This is where there was once a bridge made of heavy timbers the CCC used in the 30s to get heavy equipment into the area where they were digging out the lagoons. They did it by hand for the 1st 2 years or so! Whenever you hear someone say how useless the government is consider the fact that the wonderful resource of the lagoons wouldn't be there without FDR and the CCC. That area used to be called the Chewab Skokie - Pottawatomie for 'Big Marsh' - which is what it was before the government dug it out. The bridge got taken out by ice flows back in the bad winters we had in the mid & late 70s.

BTW - the government went back in in the 90s and dredged the lagoons back to their original depths. Before that there was about a foot of water and 10 - 15 feet of muck due to silting. Not very good for bass.

Going down the west channel you have the option of portaging back into lagoon #6 or going all the way down to Tower Rd, swinging back up the east channel and portaging over the dam that backs lagoon #6.

If you want to portage stay on the east side of the west channel and watch for the portage site. This portage is only 15 feet or so across. Again, deep on both sides so be careful. If you choose to continue south be sure to fish around the islands above the Tower Rd dam and above & below the dam.

Suggest you take binoculars - the lagoons are one of the premier birding areas in Chicagoland & you might see species you won't see anywhere else around here.

Have fun!

PS - there are very good maps available on line. Suggest you print one out & take it along until you get to know the area.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Skokie Lagoons