Goons 6/13/2020, afternoon

Skokie Lagoons - Cook County, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Goons 6/13/2020, afternoon

Postby cyanatic » Jun Sun 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Wife and daughter wanted to take a little drive yesterday afternoon so I suggested a trip up to the Goons. (I didn't bring my fishing gear with me as a good faith sign that I had no ulterior motive for suggesting the Goons!). It's funny because I have never actually driven to the Goons. Since we moved here in 2008 I have always made solo fishing trips on my bike. I thought it might be nice to get out in the sun and also give me a chance to scout out some spots along the eastern flank along Forest Drive.

Quite a few people out, biking, walking, some fishing. I finally turned around and parked facing south when we were about in the middle of Lagoon #4. We found a small path and walked down to the water. Bluebird sky with a slight wind out of the southwest. I'd say water temp in shallows was mid-60's? There were a couple of fisherman in our area, working the shoreline. I'd say the weeds extended out from the shore about 15-18 ft. Real close in, the duckweed (I think that's what it's called?) is starting to establish itself. If past years are any indication, it's going to take over and extend out pretty far as the summer wears on.

I did see a couple of flashes and swirls just at the outer edge of the weeds. I also saw surface disturbances at times that looked a lot like bait fish fleeing a predator. Although I didn't fish, I thought I would just report on the general conditions for anyone who is interested. I'm thinking it might be worth taking an early morning or late evening trip to go back up there and try my luck. I didn't see a whole lot of laydowns in the area, but there might have been a few further up to the north. My wife loved the area and wants to go back to spend an hour or two even though she doesn't fish. Who am I to argue?

ImageSkokie Lagoon No 4b South by Steve, on Flickr

ImageSkokie Lagoon No 4b North by Steve, on Flickr

ImageSkokie Lagoon No 4a by Steve, on Flickr
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Re: Goons 6/13/2020, afternoon

Postby Rambler » Jun Mon 15, 2020 8:26 am

The point where I think you were standing at the north end of #4 where it narrows down is the site of one of the radar stations (they came in 3s) for the old Nike base. Used to be a big radar dome & a hut surrounded by an 8' tall chain link fence. There was usually an Army truck parked there.

Probably the reason the Ruskies never nuked Chicago. :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Goons 6/13/2020, afternoon

Postby Aux Pleins » Jun Mon 15, 2020 9:51 am

Probably mid to high 60s on the surface water temps. I was on the fox Sunday and it was 65-68 degrees. The prior weekend I was on the fox and it was 72-73 degree water.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Return to Skokie Lagoons