Goons onesy

Skokie Lagoons - Cook County, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Goons onesy

Postby Rambler » Jul Thu 23, 2020 10:54 am

Met my best friend @ 2:00 yesterday afternoon for a PM paddle. We launched on Lagoon #2. He frogged while I started out with a buzzbait.

LOTS of duckweed, almost no cottonwood fluff. Light, variable winds, bluebird sky with just a few clouds.

After 2 hours of no action I tied on a green, 1/4 oz jig with a 4" white twister & a safetypin spinner. Caught a chunky 12 incher away from the west shore. Kept throwing the jig until it started getting late. Then I switched back to a buzzbait.

Watched a reheaded woodpecker work over a stump in the woods. Swarms of geese slurped up duckweed. Might be the only time I've wished for more geese. A heron croaked his critique of our ancestry as he few by and a big flock of cedar waxwings searched the trees for bugs.

My buddy switched to a buzzbait & landed a small bass. I had 2 more hits but whiffed on them.

I have completely fallen in love with my new Daiwa Tatula rod. It is the perfect match for my Daiwa Regal reel. Great balance & really light.

Another typical summer day at the goons - spectacular weather, marginal fishing.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Goons onesy

Postby BrookeT » Jul Thu 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Love fishing the Goons on weekdays when the weather is good; wish it produced more fish some days. Lots of pressure but always a beautiful float!
BrookeT
Pan Fish

Postby Aux Pleins » Jul Thu 23, 2020 4:14 pm

I've been seeing the green pea soup take over the goons lately as I drive over on Tower Rd.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby cyanatic » Jul Fri 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Rambler wrote:LOTS of duckweed, almost no cottonwood fluff. Light, variable winds, bluebird sky with just a few clouds.

After 2 hours of no action I tied on a green, 1/4 oz jig with a 4" white twister & a safetypin spinner. Caught a chunky 12 incher away from the west shore. Kept throwing the jig until it started getting late. Then I switched back to a buzzbait.

Nice Rambler! I love your descriptions of the wildlife. I really need to get back on my bike and head up there. Must be getting lazy in my old age. My last few trips to the Goons have been by car along the east side. This is the time of year when the duckweed goes crazy at the Goons, might be good for frogging but it plays hell with shore fishing otherwise.
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Jul Fri 24, 2020 5:49 pm

Like I said, I'm rooting for the geese!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler