Goons is Poppin

Skokie Lagoons - Cook County, IL
Fishing Information & Reports

Goons is Poppin

Postby FazGoesFishing » Nov Wed 11, 2020 11:16 am

Had a nice couple days at the 'Goons enjoying the last of the warm weather, and they were biting! Caught 3, including a nice fatty, coulda been over 4-5lbs. Also had a close encounter with a beautiful buck! Here's to hoping another warm-front rolls through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FazGoesFishing

Re: Goons is Poppin

Postby FishinMatt » Nov Wed 11, 2020 12:26 pm

Good haul!
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby BrookeT » Nov Wed 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Well done!
Love that you got a good bite with big fish at Skokie; Goons is tough to beat when the bite is on
BrookeT
Pan Fish

Postby Rambler » Nov Thu 12, 2020 8:23 am

Them's some mighty nice fish.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby CBatt2 » Nov Thu 12, 2020 8:37 am

Nice job! What were they hitting? I got a half-dozen at a local pond on a 2" green/fleck twister tail under a bobber(crappie style), before the storm on Tuesday.
Cool pic of deer, too!
CBatt2
Pan Fish

Postby FazGoesFishing » Nov Thu 12, 2020 10:39 am

CBatt2 wrote:Nice job! What were they hitting? I got a half-dozen at a local pond on a 2" green/fleck twister tail under a bobber(crappie style), before the storm on Tuesday.
Cool pic of deer, too!

All on a Zoom trick worm, texas-rig, green pumpkin. I have tried so many other swimbaits, cranks, spinners, wacky-rig senko, but always get the most luck on the Zoom worm. I'm starting to think I don't need the huge tackle box.
FazGoesFishing

Postby FazGoesFishing » Nov Thu 12, 2020 10:41 am

Also, all of them were caught by flinging that Zoom worm right up against the dead trees in the water, coaxing them out of that cover.
FazGoesFishing

Postby RonG » Nov Thu 12, 2020 12:03 pm

I do believe that buck was tracking and hunting you.

On a bright note, Serj and the boys just released their first new music in 15 years.
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Rambler » Nov Thu 12, 2020 1:00 pm

RonG wrote:I do believe that buck was tracking and hunting you.

Many, many years ago - like around 1978 - my 1st sales job after leaving teaching was with a small NY-based publishing house. One early Nov. morning I got a call from the VP who said, "I've got some good news & some bad news. Well actually it's all bad news (he really said that). We're going bankrupt so you're fired."

It was a beautiful day so I decided to spend the rest of it at Skokie Lagoons. I wound up lying on my back on top of the small ridge that runs across the 'island' north of Tower Rd. I was lying there pondering my next move when I heard a noise just behind me. I sat up & looked around. There was a monster buck - at least 12 points - standing there starring at me sort of like, "What the fuck are you doing here?"

For some reason it made me feel much better about my situation. A month later I got a job with a much bigger publisher & spent the next year selling the memoirs of Richard Nixon and Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys mysteries (yeah - weird combo to say the least) to ma & pa bookstores throughout the Midwest.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Thu 12, 2020 7:21 pm

Some fall tankers, nice!
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FazGoesFishing » Nov Thu 12, 2020 10:36 pm

Rambler wrote:For some reason it made me feel much better about my situation. A month later I got a job with a much bigger publisher & spent the next year selling the memoirs of Richard Nixon and Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys mysteries (yeah - weird combo to say the least) to ma & pa bookstores throughout the Midwest.

Bucks and Books... Seems like a sign to me
FazGoesFishing

Postby Rambler » Nov Sat 14, 2020 10:12 am

FazGoesFishing wrote:Bucks and Books... Seems like a sign to me

Sometimes the universe communicates with us in strange and interesting ways.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby cyanatic » Jan Sun 17, 2021 8:48 pm

FazGoesFishing wrote:
CBatt2 wrote:Nice job! What were they hitting? I got a half-dozen at a local pond on a 2" green/fleck twister tail under a bobber(crappie style), before the storm on Tuesday.
Cool pic of deer, too!

All on a Zoom trick worm, texas-rig, green pumpkin. I have tried so many other swimbaits, cranks, spinners, wacky-rig senko, but always get the most luck on the Zoom worm. I'm starting to think I don't need the huge tackle box.
FazGoesFishing wrote:Also, all of them were caught by flinging that Zoom worm right up against the dead trees in the water, coaxing them out of that cover.

As Rambler would say, digging up older threads is a sure sign of cabin fever, but I somehow missed seeing this thread. Those are some really nice fish there Faz! I love the Zoom trick worms and they've worked well for me at Beck. But I usually use them with a shaky head and rig Senkos if I'm fishing Texas rigs. Haven't been to the Goons since mid-July but I remember fishing one spot off of Forestway where I had to bushwack up a narrow trail until I was over a little bay formed by dead trees on either side. Hardly any casting room, but it looked like a perfect bass hangout. Didn't get anything but I wasn't flinging the worms up against the trees, just underhand flicking the worms as close to the trees as I could get. Duh! Bounce them off the trees and let them fall! I plan to use that technique in the spring and summer the next time I head up to the Goons. Thanks!
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Return to Skokie Lagoons