PB Smallie Door County 2020

This is the place to post your big fish, best fish, proud catches, etc. No reports or fishing questions please. Just post, brag, or be proud.
Forum rules
Insults, hazing, and poor manners will NOT be tolerated on this forum. This is a place to display pictures of some of the fish you are most proud of.

PB Smallie Door County 2020

Postby FishinMatt » Aug Fri 07, 2020 4:55 pm

I have never been much into weighing fish. Usually a quick measurement and picture are sufficient enough for me. Throughout the years there have been a handful of smallmouth bass I was always curious about that I never weighed. Several 20-21 inch fall smallies on Lake Geneva during the early days come to mind. A 21 inch prespawn smallie on Delavan around 2007. A few 21-22 inch mid summer smallies caught on the Waupaca Chain during annual vacations. Usually I don't have a scale or if I do it is habitually out of batteries. Just not a big priority for me. I was lucky enough to be in Adam Bs boat a few years ago when I caught a big largemouth on Delavan just under 7 lbs. Adam has a nice scale and unlike me, he actually changes the batteries when needed! Adam was with me this time around up in Door County for another special fish. The funny thing about the smallies up there is that I have seen a wide variety of weights for fish in that 20-21 inch class. It seems they stop growing as much length wise and just get higher backs and put on more bulk as they age. I have seen fish in that category go from 4.5 lbs to low 5's, so the length can definetly be deceiving to the overall weight. On this particular day Adam had just caught his pb at 4.65 lbs an hour or so earlier. We were dealing with some wicked storm systems going through the area and had already ran back to the launch once because of thunder storms. We decided to hit an area that is a shallow sand flat that leads to about a 5 foot weedline, then drops off about 4 feet into a shallow basin. Earlier in the morning we caught several fish doing this, but most were of the smaller variety. As we drifted down the structure, which stretches hundreds of yards, i made a cast with a tube a little farther into the sand flat then normal. Upon picking up the slack from the initial fall I felt some resistance and set the hook. I tend to set the hook on anything up there because sometimes the slightest tick in the line is a fish. Initially the fish took an angle toward the boat and I advised Adam I did not think it was a big fish. About 20 feet from the boat the fish tried to jump, but it was so girthy it just kind of wallowed on the top of the water. A few "oh shits" were exchanged and Adam got ready with the net. After a few runs near the boat the fish came headfirst at a good angle and Adam scooped her into the net. Adam summed it up best when he said look at the eyeballs, they are as big as a persons. Although this fish was still in that 21 inch range, it was obvious to us this was a different class fish then others we had previously caught.

So previously, my official pb weighed smallie was with HnG on Lake G many falls ago at 5.3 lbs. This girl came in a 6.15 lbs. I was initially confused thinking it was 6 lbs 15 ounces until Adam broke down how his scale weighs in decimals. We took a bunch of pictures and released her for another day. This is my 4th time up in DC to fish smallies, and honestly I was just trying to break 5 after catching so many upper 4 lb fish. Never even really considered a 6 in the middle of the summer, when typically the bass are not the heaviest in weight. With that said, I can probably close the door on my pb smallmouth. What a sweet fish it was, and hopefully it provides a future angler with as much pleasure as it brought me.

If I ever get around to posting a report from that DC trip it was epic. Awesome start the first few days with decent numbers and several bigs. A cold front shut down fishing for a day or so and it was tough. The last 2 days I went farther off shore looking for reefs and found 2 humps full of zebra mussel shells absolutely loaded with fish. 50 fish one day and 20 the next before heading back home, almost all in the 3-4+ lb category. Big winds, big waves, but definetly a world class fishing destination worth rolling the dice at.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Re: PB Smallie Door County 2020

Postby joetrain » Aug Fri 07, 2020 5:09 pm

A true beast. You want a chance at breaking your PB head up to Basswood Lake in the Quetico Provincial Park.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Aug Fri 07, 2020 7:53 pm

Go back in the fall and beat that ! Lolol. No for real tho, fish of a lifetime imo.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby RonG » Aug Fri 07, 2020 8:02 pm

I guessin it pulled you off the boat at least a couple of times. :shock:

I can spot a Wisconsin woman from a mile away. It looks like she kept eating until her looks were gone, but she didn't care. Quite a homely fish, but she gorged and gorged and gave you a PB. Congrats!
RonG
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby coyote » Aug Sat 08, 2020 5:22 am

Jeezus what a pig!
coyote
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby minstrel » Aug Sat 08, 2020 5:58 am

Lordy that thing has been chowing down... what an amazing catch. Congrats. :clap:
minstrel
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Aug Sat 08, 2020 7:15 am

HOLY CRAAAAAAAAP!!!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Aug Sat 08, 2020 9:10 pm

Heck of a toad. Just got back today. Crazy place try and find the fish.

https://youtu.be/cVaIq1kUUQ8
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Aug Sun 09, 2020 1:31 am

Skifish1 wrote:Heck of a toad. Just got back today. Crazy place try and find the fish.

Awesome video. We had a few potential run ins with toothy critters too but just quick bite offs through the fluro leaders. I tried to go back and target them the next day and no luck. I put the boat away and have no desire to fish anywhere else for awhile. Truly special area up there.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby ohoffm » Aug Sun 09, 2020 11:04 am

Awesome fish and story. Smallies are so fun to catch and one this size is like winning the lottery. Hope you got some good measurements for a replica.
The easiest way is rarely the best way
ohoffm
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Aug Sun 09, 2020 1:39 pm

FishinMatt wrote:
Skifish1 wrote:Heck of a toad. Just got back today. Crazy place try and find the fish.

Awesome video. We had a few potential run ins with toothy critters too but just quick bite offs through the fluro leaders. I tried to go back and target them the next day and no luck. I put the boat away and have no desire to fish anywhere else for awhile. Truly special area up there.

Yes its difficult to be back here hot cement jungle. All i caught were bass. A gave a pike a go one day without luck on lake side. Most all my fish were lake side up on top of Door shallow when you get breezy wind blowing into shore the smallies will come into areas in packs the waves create current where there are depressions and big rocks. Calm and they wont be there but optimal is 1 to 2 foot rollers they go 3 to 7 FOW and best is craw imitations
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Aug Sun 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Sounds similar to how what we found in Washington Island. Everything under 8 feet. Down by Sister Bay, Ephraim, and Fish Creek I had to go to at least 18 feet to really get into any consistent action.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby HnG » Aug Mon 10, 2020 7:09 pm

That Sir is a beast!!!
HnG
Fishing Fanatic

Postby billebob5 » Aug Wed 12, 2020 8:31 am

great fish
billebob5
Fishing Czar

Postby catchafew » Aug Wed 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Awesome smallie Matt. Congratulations!
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Aug Sun 16, 2020 11:55 am

That is a pig plus for sure. Congrats on her Matt!

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Aug Thu 20, 2020 8:15 am

That is one amazing fish!
Thanks so much for sharing with us. What a memory.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby cyanatic » Aug Sun 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Awesome! What a beast! Great fish, great story! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good fishing,

Steve

" Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it"
-Harry Middleton-
cyanatic
Game Fish

Return to WCF Hall of Fame