PB Smallmouth

This is the place to post your big fish, best fish, proud catches, etc. No reports or fishing questions please. Just post, brag, or be proud.
Forum rules
Insults, hazing, and poor manners will NOT be tolerated on this forum. This is a place to display pictures of some of the fish you are most proud of.

PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Thu 24, 2016 3:33 pm

My PB smallie, and caught in Illinois to boot. This was the last of 5 fish in 30 minutes, all of which were 16+, and all of which were caught in the first 30 mins I was at the river in the morning. Never taped out, but a measurement along the rod puts her somewhere between 22-24. I'm guessing somewhere in the upper 5lb range, pushing 6. She was caught in July of 2009, on the Mazon River. Released back to fight another day.

If I had caught it prior to spawn out in Spring, it likely would have broken the state record. Can't imagine that fish was less than 7 when it was preggo. Haven't stepped foot in a river since without having a tailor's tape for length and girth measurements.

Image

Image
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Thu 24, 2016 3:38 pm

Another couple of nice ones, both from the same day, and both caught prior to landing the PB in the initial post.

Image

Image
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby catchafew » Mar Thu 24, 2016 3:40 pm

I've seen this picture many times when I've Googled 'Illinois Smallmouth', that's a true hog!
User avatar
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 2449
Joined: Mar Sat 05, 2011 6:40 pm
Location: Downers Grove

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Thu 24, 2016 3:42 pm

Decent one from Prairie Du Chien on the Mississippi River in November this past fall.

Image
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Thu 24, 2016 3:43 pm

catchafew wrote:I've seen this picture many times when I've Googled 'Illinois Smallmouth', that's a true hog!


I had a guy at Bass Pro the other day ask if it was me when I was picking up an online order that was shipped to store. He read the last name and goes... "The same Pezdek that caught that monster smallie a few years back?" It follows me everywhere. Lol. And thanks!
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby DonR » Mar Thu 24, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks for posting the pics. I think I've seen that hog as well!
DonR
Game Fish
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Nov Mon 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby fatgordo » Mar Thu 24, 2016 8:43 pm

sweet jesus.
whatd u do after u land something that big? how can one even top that
User avatar
fatgordo
Fishing Fanatic
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Dec Fri 30, 2011 10:34 am
Location: SCHILLER PARK

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby Skifish1 » Mar Thu 24, 2016 9:04 pm

Frankly I dont often open or comment on posts with PB in the title as I dont care if fish are PB and I rarely measure myself but im glad I opened this post. That fish is a legitimate monster and great fish from any water let alone Illinois. Legitimate low 20s fish.

Ive seen enough posts of people stating they catch 17.5 and 19 inch bass and so on but they must be using tapes that need to be recalibrated.
User avatar
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 4766
Joined: Nov Thu 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby Hoffmanpikefisher » Mar Thu 24, 2016 9:05 pm

This was my dads out of the kishwaukee river, never got a measurement but guessing he had to be 21-23 range. That's a giant I have to try the mazon river one of these days. Not trying to rob your trophy post just sharing another quality smallie haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hoffmanpikefisher
Fishing Fanatic
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Sep Sun 28, 2014 8:18 pm
Location: Hoffman Estates/ DPR

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby polishfly » Mar Thu 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Hoffman, your dad knows how to hold a bass right!! Nice fish all around! That OP slab is a beast, how was the fight!?
User avatar
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Aug Fri 21, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Arlington Heights, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Thu 24, 2016 9:28 pm

fatgordo wrote:sweet jesus.
whatd u do after u land something that big? how can one even top that


Honestly. I couldn't even think straight. I was shaking once I finally landed it. I knew it was a monster because it performed some serious acrobatics during the fight. Didn't truly grasp how big it was until I had it in my hand. I just unhooked her, and noticed that if the fight was 3 seconds longer she was gone. The treble on my jerk bait was almost straightened. Snapped a couple pics, gave her a kiss, and let her go. Didn't make another cast for 30 mins. Sat on the bank and smoked a cigarette and waited to stop shaking after the adrenaline was gone. Was a memorable day to say the least. And got to share it with my brother and dad. I didn't hook another fish the rest of the morning. And I was ok with that.
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Thu 24, 2016 9:30 pm

polishfly wrote:Hoffman, your dad knows how to hold a bass right!! Nice fish all around! That OP slab is a beast, how was the fight!?
Insane fight. I thought she was coming off most of it. Wouldn't stop jumping. Aerial acrobatics at their finest.
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Thu 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Hoffmanpikefisher wrote:This was my dads out of the kishwaukee river, never got a measurement but guessing he had to be 21-23 range. That's a giant I have to try the mazon river one of these days. Not trying to rob your trophy post just sharing another quality smallie haha
I don't mind. :thumbup: Love smallmouth and don't mind seeing pics of the big girls ever!
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Thu 24, 2016 9:38 pm

Skifish1 wrote:Frankly I dont often open or comment on posts with PB in the title as I dont care if fish are PB and I rarely measure myself but im glad I opened this post. That fish is a legitimate monster and great fish from any water let alone Illinois. Legitimate low 20s fish.

Ive seen enough posts of people stating they catch 17.5 and 19 inch bass and so on but they must be using tapes that need to be recalibrated.
Thanks ski!
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby Kamala » Mar Fri 25, 2016 4:08 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
fatgordo wrote:sweet jesus.
whatd u do after u land something that big? how can one even top that


Honestly. I couldn't even think straight. I was shaking once I finally landed it. I knew it was a monster because it performed some serious acrobatics during the fight. Didn't truly grasp how big it was until I had it in my hand. I just unhooked her, and noticed that if the fight was 3 seconds longer she was gone. The treble on my jerk bait was almost straightened. Snapped a couple pics, gave her a kiss, and let her go. Didn't make another cast for 30 mins. Sat on the bank and smoked a cigarette and waited to stop shaking after the adrenaline was gone. Was a memorable day to say the least. And got to share it with my brother and dad. I didn't hook another fish the rest of the morning. And I was ok with that.


I remember the original post/pic on one of the other local fishing sites. I also remember you took some flack and grief over the location/photo. Good for you over the years that most recall that it was a very rare, genuine, trophy that you released.
Kamala
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Sep Wed 24, 2014 7:18 am
Location: South Of Chicago

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby Kamala » Mar Fri 25, 2016 4:14 am

Skifish1 wrote:Frankly I dont often open or comment on posts with PB in the title as I dont care if fish are PB and I rarely measure myself but im glad I opened this post. That fish is a legitimate monster and great fish from any water let alone Illinois. Legitimate low 20s fish.

Ive seen enough posts of people stating they catch 17.5 and 19 inch bass and so on but they must be using tapes that need to be recalibrated.


Many anglers just don't catch larger bass, or fish in general. So if they catch one over 16", or more, they can't really guess the length or weight. For some its important, for others, it isn't.
Kamala
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Sep Wed 24, 2014 7:18 am
Location: South Of Chicago

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby Skifish1 » Mar Fri 25, 2016 5:55 am

Kamala wrote:
Skifish1 wrote:Frankly I dont often open or comment on posts with PB in the title as I dont care if fish are PB and I rarely measure myself but im glad I opened this post. That fish is a legitimate monster and great fish from any water let alone Illinois. Legitimate low 20s fish.

Ive seen enough posts of people stating they catch 17.5 and 19 inch bass and so on but they must be using tapes that need to be recalibrated.


Many anglers just don't catch larger bass, or fish in general. So if they catch one over 16", or more, they can't really guess the length or weight. For some its important, for others, it isn't.


Excellent point kamala you simply got to measure some fish to recalibrsate your eyes. I measure fish occasionally just for that reason just to see if estimated okay. Id say for bass the actual measurements are probably on average half inch or so smaller than I would have estimated whereas for pike they are longer than I estimated, there are folks that roundup or wishful think and appear to add a half inch or two to their measurements but on the flip side there folks like you and busse jim who are spot on in their measurements.
User avatar
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 4766
Joined: Nov Thu 03, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby Kamala » Mar Fri 25, 2016 6:21 am

Skifish1 wrote:
Kamala wrote:
Skifish1 wrote:Frankly I dont often open or comment on posts with PB in the title as I dont care if fish are PB and I rarely measure myself but im glad I opened this post. That fish is a legitimate monster and great fish from any water let alone Illinois. Legitimate low 20s fish.

Ive seen enough posts of people stating they catch 17.5 and 19 inch bass and so on but they must be using tapes that need to be recalibrated.


Many anglers just don't catch larger bass, or fish in general. So if they catch one over 16", or more, they can't really guess the length or weight. For some its important, for others, it isn't.


Excellent point kamala you simply got to measure some fish to recalibrsate your eyes. I measure fish occasionally just for that reason just to see if estimated okay. Id say for bass the actual measurements are probably on average half inch or so smaller than I would have estimated whereas for pike they are longer than I estimated, there are folks that roundup or wishful think and appear to add a half inch or two to their measurements but on the flip side there folks like you and busse jim who are spot on in their measurements.


I measure two ways. If needed. Off my rod handle or the span of my hand. At some point, unless its REALLY big, bass from 16"-19" are numerous enough, that, ehhh, its close enough.
Kamala
Fishing Czar
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Sep Wed 24, 2014 7:18 am
Location: South Of Chicago

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Fri 25, 2016 7:49 am

Skifish1 wrote:
Kamala wrote:
Skifish1 wrote:Frankly I dont often open or comment on posts with PB in the title as I dont care if fish are PB and I rarely measure myself but im glad I opened this post. That fish is a legitimate monster and great fish from any water let alone Illinois. Legitimate low 20s fish.

Ive seen enough posts of people stating they catch 17.5 and 19 inch bass and so on but they must be using tapes that need to be recalibrated.


Many anglers just don't catch larger bass, or fish in general. So if they catch one over 16", or more, they can't really guess the length or weight. For some its important, for others, it isn't.


Excellent point kamala you simply got to measure some fish to recalibrsate your eyes. I measure fish occasionally just for that reason just to see if estimated okay. Id say for bass the actual measurements are probably on average half inch or so smaller than I would have estimated whereas for pike they are longer than I estimated, there are folks that roundup or wishful think and appear to add a half inch or two to their measurements but on the flip side there folks like you and busse jim who are spot on in their measurements.


I measure two ways. If needed. Off my rod handle or the span of my hand. At some point, unless its REALLY big, bass from 16"-19" are numerous enough, that, ehhh, its close enough.[/quote]

Agreed. Only fish I'll ever measure anymore are the trophies. I don't bother with anything under 20" if it's a bass, and pretty much under 22-23" if it's a walleye. Crappie will get a measure a lot, because I'm looking for that 16-17 to stick on my wall one day. Most people do overestimate, though. You guys are correct about that!
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Fri 25, 2016 7:51 am

Kamala wrote:
SmalliesNEyes wrote:
fatgordo wrote:sweet jesus.
whatd u do after u land something that big? how can one even top that


Honestly. I couldn't even think straight. I was shaking once I finally landed it. I knew it was a monster because it performed some serious acrobatics during the fight. Didn't truly grasp how big it was until I had it in my hand. I just unhooked her, and noticed that if the fight was 3 seconds longer she was gone. The treble on my jerk bait was almost straightened. Snapped a couple pics, gave her a kiss, and let her go. Didn't make another cast for 30 mins. Sat on the bank and smoked a cigarette and waited to stop shaking after the adrenaline was gone. Was a memorable day to say the least. And got to share it with my brother and dad. I didn't hook another fish the rest of the morning. And I was ok with that.


I remember the original post/pic on one of the other local fishing sites. I also remember you took some flack and grief over the location/photo. Good for you over the years that most recall that it was a very rare, genuine, trophy that you released.


A little bit, I think from a local in that area, but he seemed to come around eventually, and see my side of things. Like I told him way back then, if someone wants to make the effort, stare at Google maps for hours, spend the hour or better to make the drives, and then bushwack or hike to where I tend to fish, then more power to em. But 99% of the time, people are too lazy to do any of it. Most hit what is either most convenient, or closest to home, rather than put in the legwork, and homework to fish the places I fish. I had a good mentor on the rivers that brought me around to that type of thinking. Shout out to Ken G, who I fished with quite a few times, and swayed my mentality to the above line of thinking. :lol:
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SpecialEd » Mar Fri 25, 2016 8:07 am

That is a nice fish Pez. Nice to know she may still be swimming around out there somewhere.
User avatar
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Mar Sun 11, 2007 11:48 am
Location: Naperville

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Fri 25, 2016 8:18 am

SpecialEd wrote:That is a nice fish Pez. Nice to know she may still be swimming around out there somewhere.


Thanks Ed! Long time no talk. How ya been?
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby FishinMatt » Mar Fri 25, 2016 8:56 am

I remember that post as well from back in the day. A true monster. I like the PB posts. Fun to look at big fish.
User avatar
FishinMatt
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 5753
Joined: Oct Tue 25, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Aurora

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby JustinCarf » Mar Fri 25, 2016 9:41 am

HOLY CHIT that's a beast!!! WOW.
User avatar
JustinCarf
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Aug Wed 22, 2012 6:46 am
Location: Saint Paul, MN

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SpecialEd » Mar Fri 25, 2016 10:37 am

SmalliesNEyes wrote:
SpecialEd wrote:That is a nice fish Pez. Nice to know she may still be swimming around out there somewhere.


Thanks Ed! Long time no talk. How ya been?


Good Nick, hope all has been well with you.
User avatar
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Mar Sun 11, 2007 11:48 am
Location: Naperville

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Fri 25, 2016 11:13 am

Been good. Just getting older. Haha. Like everyone else, although at 31, I'm not quite so old as others. :lol: New job has given me the liberty to get back involved in the Chicago area fishing sites, though. So I'm gonna take advantage of it. :thumbup:
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby Zenfish » Mar Fri 25, 2016 11:19 am

Definitely a PB worth posting. Great fish!
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. -John Buchan
User avatar
Zenfish
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Aug Mon 31, 2015 12:48 pm
Location: Northbrook, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Mar Fri 25, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks Zen! I'm almost glad I didn't catch her prior to spawn. Her girth would have more closely resembled mine in those pics! Damn I was getting heavy there. Lmao. And I would have been tempted to take her and try for the state record possibly, if it was pre-spawn. Much happier that she's potentially swimming somewhere out there, reproducing those bloodlines into the new population. Dunno if I could have withstood the temptation had she been heavier. And she was no slouch, even in mid-July. :thumbup:
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL

Re: PB Smallmouth

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Apr Wed 13, 2016 11:33 am

This is another one from that river, and was after the first one here in this thread. Was the following Spring. Not my PB, but damn close. This one was in Spring, so it was quite a bit fatter. I'd wager it was around 5lbs. Makes me want to get out to that river right now. :lol:

Image
User avatar
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Mar Sat 12, 2016 11:24 pm
Location: Western Burbs, IL


Return to WCF Hall of Fame

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests