Some salt

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

Some salt

Postby joetrain » Oct Sat 10, 2020 1:43 pm

I spent 2 days down at the NC coast fishing the Bay River and also tried a new to me spot. It’s called Lee’s Creek. The creek is black water lined with marsh grass interspersed with short forested sections of shoreline.

Bay River is a huge body of water which flows into the Pamlico Sound which then empties into the Atlantic. I fished the river for a total of approximately 15 hours. Yesterday there was a NE wind blowing at about 15 mph so that made conditions a little sketchy but I still went out.

I caught a mixed bag of trout ,redfish and flounder. Most of my catch was flounder. Par for the course the season ended last week so I wasn’t able to keep any but I did bring some trout home for the pan. The reds were all under size but even a small red puts up a good battle.

Lee’s Creek was fun. I caught a small red almost immediately and I was hoping for some good action but it wasn’t to be. I hooked a good bass that got off with a head shake, caught a good size crappie and missed a fish on a top water. Stayed out there for 3.5 hours then loaded up and headed home.

I’ll be hitting the salt again in a week or so. My plan is to try new water each day and try to find some fish.
~JOE~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Some salt

Postby ganz1960 » Oct Sat 10, 2020 2:48 pm

Nice fish and inspiration! I'm heading south for the winter next week and hope to catch more trout and redfish in the weeks to come.

I also have 2 other goals while I'm south: catch a flounder and catch a trout on topwater.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Oct Sat 10, 2020 3:50 pm

Ganz get yourself some Zoom Fat Albert twisters in white. I rig it on an 1/8 oz screw lock jig head. Cast it out , pop it twice and retrieve, pop it twice and retrieve.
Trust me on this get some.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ganz1960 » Oct Sat 10, 2020 5:05 pm

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll get the Zoom Fat Albert twisters in white as soon as I get there.

(Now that I look again at your flounder photo, I see this lure. I'll definitely try it!)

In case you're interested, I'll recommend a lure for you to try. Last year, I caught numerous speckled trout, sand trout, and small redfish on the Johnson Sprite 3/4 oz gold spoon. Cast it out and sort of flutter it back or yo-yo it back. They hit it on the fall so often. It's a jarring hit and lots of fun!
15JOHUSPRTRDFSH2PLUR_Gold.jpeg

I became addicted to it last year like I became addicted to using a buzzbait for smallies this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Oct Sun 11, 2020 4:46 am

I’ll add those to my arsenal.
Don’t overlook topwater baits. Some days they are deadly. Popping cork with a pink shrimp (artificial) too.

You can order those Fat Alberts on Amazon if you can’t find them when you get there.

These are the jig heads I’m using. Hooks are sharp right out of the package.
https://www.shopmirrolure.com/soft-plas ... p-349.html

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ganz1960 » Oct Sun 11, 2020 7:11 am

Thanks! I'll try it all and hopefully post a resulting fish photo or two.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Return to Kayaking