Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Advice on a New Kayak

10K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  badger75 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new yak for fishing. Right now I use a Sea Eagle 370 blow up. It's been awesome and has taken a beating without complaint. I highly recommend it if storage space is an issue at your house. I originally got it since I lived in an apartment and didn't have the room to store a kayak. But, now I'm in a house and have storage room.

I'm torn between the Ascend FS12T (sit on top) or the Ascend FS10 (sit in). Both kayaks are sold at Bass Pro, and I know many of you out there use these boats. I like the fact the rod holder on the FS10 is right in front of you and easy to get to. However, everyone I talk to seems to prefer sit on tops for the long-term. Most of my fishing would be on the Fox River, a bunch of small lakes/ponds, possibly the Chicago River, and Lake Michigan. Both are $500, so any recommendations or advice would be great.

Also, what do you and don't you like about your Kayak?

Thanks!

FS12T:
http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12T-SitOnTop-Angler-Kayak-Sand/product/11081905012225/
Sit on top
12 foot tracks well
Sturdy/stable
Comfy seat
Plenty of storage
Can stand and Fish

FS10:
http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS10-SitIn-Angler-Kayak-Camo/product/11081905012223/
Sit in
Keeps you dryer
Rod holders seem to be in convenient location
Smaller/easier to transport
Doesn't track as well as a 12 ft
Can't Stand and fish

Sea Eagle 370
http://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks.aspx

See less See more
#28 ·
saracd112 said:
Sea Eagle Small Repair Kit has Includes two 4 in. x 3 in. You Can Get this product at a very low price with the help of Current Sea Eagle Coupon in 2021. Well now is the time to Fishing!
Amen to that, Sarac! It's 2 am and I've done some of my best kayak fishing late at night. Loaded up on this site are years of pics to prove it. To infinity they will remain, even longer than JFK's Eternal Flame.

You are wasting your time on hawking your patch kit. The members on this site have taken an oath to never buy or enter an inflatable kayak. Smokin', drinkin' and playin' Russian roulette are fine, just no death-boat inflatables. Even worse is one that has already popped and now is adorned with cheap China junk repair patches.

#29 ·
Congratulations on your purchase. I have been floating a Pecador Pro 100 10 footer. 55 lbs without seat, I have an easy loader Thule system for my Hyundi Wagon.. I LOVE the rack system, 55 lbs after paddling All day gets a bit heavy to load at the end of the day,, Being able to literally roll the yak up the rack is GREAT! SO... Since you have Already purchased a yak I will keep this short. Being in the 60"S I don't even TRY to stand up in my yak..Mission Impossible! I like the 2 stage seat. low more stable, high more enjoyable to fish at this level. Tri-Chimed Very stable, kind of slow..Class 2 rapids are doable ,however much more challenging at high seat than lower. Paid a little over $1000.00.. Loader,kayak paddle, air horn...Final hint by a GOOD PADDLE! As Ron said, Longer way better on the big Lake..I've been in a 10 ft tarpon on lake Michigan and even in light waves, not really my cup of tea.. :roll:

#31 ·
Grain said:
I've been itching to get a small tarpon, 100-120 like, and there's been so many available cheap in the off season, and I've never pulled the trigger.
go with the 120 unless you are in really small lakes. my dad is still using my 2012 tarpon 120 and it's still a relevant kayak for those who prefer speed and weight over the ability to stand up.

NDYakAngler on youtube uses a tarpon 120
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqyQwoh ... DYakAngler

#32 ·
Tarpon 100-120 is a good yak and for the money the Pescador pro series is a good entry level yak that will fill most needs for a floating fishing vehichle.. It also goes with out saying and a comfortable life vest(Comfortable is important so that YOU actually wear it.)
I have been fishing away from home occasionally , for most of my marriage.. The one caveat my wife has mandated is to wear a life vest. I have on more than one occasion done SOMETHING stupid and ended in the drink..Over my head, in current and strange water, life vest Actually was a very good idea :roll: Enjoy.. I actually was floating the Fox for the first time this week. I floated past an island which has become a rookery for white egrets.cormorants, and a few great Blue Herons..They never heard me coming , and the commotion and amount of birds actually had me stop fishing and park and listen to their music. Amazing, what we have literally around the block and down stream. Have FUN>>STAY IN THE YAK>>Or bring a TOWEL~~

#33 ·
FloridaRigger said:
Grain said:
I've been itching to get a small tarpon, 100-120 like, and there's been so many available cheap in the off season, and I've never pulled the trigger.
go with the 120 unless you are in really small lakes. my dad is still using my 2012 tarpon 120 and it's still a relevant kayak for those who prefer speed and weight over the ability to stand up.
That makes complete sense to me, and I am very aware of what extra 2" would give me space-wise. My concerns are twofold. First, 120 would be a very, very tight fit winter storage-wise. It would also have to hang over more expensive car. Second, I don't doubt my ability to lift 55# T100 and drop it into j-hooks. With 65# T120 I'd likely have to get saddles, although this has its own advantages as I would be able to drive into the garage with the yak on it.

Ksum said:
Tarpon 100-120 is a good yak and for the money the Pescador pro series is a good entry level yak that will fill most needs for a floating fishing vehichle.. It also goes with out saying and a comfortable life vest(Comfortable is important so that YOU actually wear it.)
The thing I don't like about Pescadors is the handles. I'd much rather it had real grab handles instead of indentations. Those I can just see slipping out of my hands.
Re: vest, I have an NRS Chinook and wear it.

#34 ·
Grain said:
The thing I don't like about Pescadors is the handles. I'd much rather it had real grab handles instead of indentations. Those I can just see slipping out of my hands.
Re: vest, I have an NRS Chinook and wear it.
the pescador pro is different than the regular pescador. the pro has a lawn chair seat, regular handles and you may even be able to stand up in it if you have good balance. the regular pescador is a stripped down early 2000's tarpon mold with crappy seat. I tried to get my hands on a pescador pro this year but ended up with a nucanoe flint instead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.