Solo kayaking

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

Solo kayaking

Postby ash13brook » Oct Mon 10, 2016 8:06 am

The biggest concern I have about buying a kayak is that I fish alone now that my fishing partner(my son) has abandoned me for Florida.
I fish the Kankakee between Davis Creek and either Rock Creek or Warner Bridge.
I see some posts where guys go out for a spur of the moment float. Do those of you that do this paddle upstream, then float down? Would this be doable on a river like the Kankakee?
I could bicycle it one way, but that's close to an hour of fishing time eaten up.
Those that solo, how do you secure your kayak if you have to go back for it?

Thanks,
Matt
ash13brook
Minnow

Re: Solo kayaking

Postby EAS » Oct Mon 10, 2016 8:27 am

I can't speak for the K3, but 9/10 on the Fox, I just drop in and fish. I paddle to the areas I want to fish, whether they are upstream or downstream of me, and then paddle back to where I launched. As you learn the areas you'll learn where to concentrate on and what to bypass. Start out with shorter routes and work further and further away as your familiarity and comfort level increases.

The K3 has a much higher flow than the Fox and can be dangerous. And keep in mind duck hunting season, etc. and know the areas where blinds are. Stay clear of them. Talk to locals at bait and tackle stores and get a lay of the land so you don't get into trouble this fall.

Like anything there's a learning curve but as long as you don't bite off more than you can chew, it should be fun and rewarding.

http://www.openlands.org/kankakee-water-trails

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Page ... River.aspx

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Page ... aines.aspx

A great resources for other areas to paddle:

http://www.openlands.org/filebin/pdf/No ... s_4_08.pdf
EAS

Postby Rambler » Oct Mon 10, 2016 9:07 am

I've only canoed the K3 going downstream with 2 cars so can't say much about doing it solo. But I canoe the DPR solo & have never had a problem paddling upstream, float/fish back down to the car.

Some sort of heavy chain & lock might work in your situation if you decide to bike it.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Beedo11 » Oct Mon 10, 2016 6:00 pm

To secure my kayak I bought a steel cable from Home Depot and a good master lock. It is not foolproof but would take some time for somebody to get through unless they were prepared with some lock cutters. I used it primarily to secure the kayak to the top of my car while on vacations. The loop and lock were in the car and the cable ran up through the handles of the kayak. It did work well to hook it to a tree though. Shame we live in a time where you have to do that stuff though.
Beedo11
Minnow

Postby ChiTown_kayaking » Oct Tue 11, 2016 4:37 pm

I personally first paddle up stream and then work my way back fishing anything that looks promising. If the current is fast then I like to throw a drag chain in to slow down the kayak. If you do the drag chain make sure you could remove it from the kayak incase it snags. If the current is to strong it may flip the kayak. The only river I ever fishing is the DPR. So I'm no expert. You can find plenty of safty videos on youtube, and tricks and tips to help make sure you have a safe float. Hope it helps!

Robert S.
youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9M3Lj ... dxQ4nPaeBA
ChiTown_kayaking
Minnow

Postby Skifish1 » Oct Tue 11, 2016 5:00 pm

I ditch my kayak a lot in bushes in tough launch areas. Busy areas I may lock the yak and just be gone a half hour. If you are in good shape and like to paddle and have a more narrow and efficient kayak you can paddle upstream even in fast water, if your arms get wasted fine an eddy and cast for awhile to recover for a few minutes and then start paddling again.

Try it all bike shuttle, upstream paddle, etc. In shallow rocky water bring a rope attach to your body and cast as you walk upstream, that is, water that too shallow to paddle going upstream
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby threeats407 » Oct Tue 11, 2016 7:39 pm

All my river kayaking is on the DPR usually between Dundee rd and south of Big Bend. Not sure how much faster the river you want to paddle runs but I almost always save the downstream ride for dessert. Now that the dams are about gone that river is running a lot faster even when the gage height is at what used to be considered low,
Making a point to not let fish interrupt my fishing.
threeats407
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Aux Pleins » Oct Wed 12, 2016 3:44 am

threeats407 wrote:Now that the dams are about gone that river is running a lot faster even when the gage height is at what used to be considered low,

Good to hear, the river could sure use that boost of oxygen that it has been starving for.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ash13brook » Oct Fri 14, 2016 6:27 am

OK, I'm in then.
Probably be Spring before I buy.
I would never use it in the Kankakee unless the water was normal, anyway, so I should be able to find a seam of slack water to paddle upstream in most of the time. When I can't, I'll either tow it or turn around.
Might have to head "West" and encroach on the DPR or Dupe when the KKK isn't cooperating.

Thanks for the help,
Matt
ash13brook
Minnow

Return to Kayaking