Watch out!

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

Watch out!

Postby RonG » Mar Fri 03, 2017 11:56 pm

I never liked the idea of a scupper hole kayak cart and wished I never made one. I don't have any cracks, holes or bad damage yet, but I'm seeing some signs of stress so I decided to convert my scupper hole dolly into something non-scupper. I detoured to another store while on the way to Home Depot for parts and walked out with this for $6.99.

Support your local Goodwill!

I have no idea where this is going, but I see lots of good parts to scavenge. The wheels detach in just a second or two.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Watch out!

Postby joetrain » Mar Sat 04, 2017 6:04 am

The wheels look like the ones that I use. I garbage picked mine . They were on a perfectly good "Jeep" stroller that some one obviously didn't want anymore. Before I tore it all apart I should have checked the value on it. New about $150. I probably could have sold it for $50 and bought a cart.
Oh well.
What is that thing that you bought, Dr. Frankenstein?
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Sat 04, 2017 6:57 am

The most popular way for adding some suspension to reduce the pressure on the hull is the tennis ball remedy. I know Ron already knows about this, but for those that don't, it's pretty much standard now in the kayak world.

Screenshot_2017-03-04-05-53-20-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Mar Sat 04, 2017 7:03 am

Standard in the kayak world and also as standard equipment on your senior citizen walkers.

Ron, I looked up that cart you snagged. That is an expensive piece of equipment. I say sell it and buy a real cart.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Mar Sat 04, 2017 9:45 am

I agree. That is an amazing price on that thing. Look at selling it. I bet you could get 70-80 easy. Great find Ron.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Mar Sat 04, 2017 10:56 am

RonG wrote: I don't have any cracks

Are you sure Ron? I'm guessing you're not a plumber. :lol:
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Mar Sat 04, 2017 8:59 pm

Ron, I have a 55cc engine you can stick on that thing! Or...you can get a chicken. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBCOSdV0FwE
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Sat 04, 2017 10:16 pm

joetrain wrote: What is that thing that you bought, Dr. Frankenstein?
~JOE~

It's a mobile house of hell for tiny children. You strap one or two of them into that claustrophobic little canister, attach it to your bicycle, then weave around and dodge traffic. When you find your potty trained tots have soiled their pants out of fear, you yell at them, send them to bed and enjoy a childless sporting event on TV.

Aux Pleins wrote:The most popular way for adding some suspension to reduce the pressure on the hull is the tennis ball remedy. I know Ron already knows about this, but for those that don't, it's pretty much standard now in the kayak world.

As much as I try to fake it here and act like I know everything there is to know, the tennis ball thing is new to me. The stress from my scupper cart is not from normal use, but from a couple of accidents by me (usually in the dark). I've lifted my yak for the cart to drop out of the scupper holes, only for it to not completely fall out. Instead, about an inch or two of the scupper posts were still in the holes, the rods shifted from vertical to an angle. I set the yak down and the posts, at an angle, stressed out my holes. I just did a plastic weld to reinforce and I'm going to do some reinforcing from the inside. I do too much Lake Michigan stuff and big scary rivers like the Fox in Green Bay to sink one day and be in severe trouble.

joetrain wrote:Ron, I looked up that cart you snagged. That is an expensive piece of equipment. I say sell it and buy a real cart.
~JOE~

I hadn't even thought of that and that would have been a smart idea.. I looked it up too and that brand goes for $300-400 new. :shock: I'm stuck behind a desk 24/7. If I don't have some kind of kayak or shanty mod or something to do with my hands, I'll go crazy.

It's too late, it's completely demolished and ready to be made into something that it wasn't intended for. Thus far, my barely thought through plans are awesome. Let's see what happens... All metal Image, no PVC. is the goal.

polishfly wrote: Or...you can get a chicken. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBCOSdV0FwE

Funniest thing I've seen in awhile. Can that be real? :lol:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Mar Sat 04, 2017 10:57 pm

It's impossible to buy a burley for 6.99 that is broken yet alone working. Before I had a fishing problem I had a biking problem for too many years and I've towed those things many miles on long trips. 6.99 that's not possible.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Sat 04, 2017 11:21 pm

O, ye of little faith.

If I say I caught one fish, I caught one fish. If I say 100, I caught 100. If I say I got a Burley for $6.99, that means I paid $7.48 (when you include the sale tax.) :)

Oh, and as far as I can tell, it was working 100% before I destroyed it. Smooth, smooth wheels! :thumbup:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby catchafew » Mar Sun 05, 2017 8:34 am

Wow I looked up the price of a brand new Burley close to $300!!! What a find Ron.
catchafew
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Mar Sun 05, 2017 8:39 am

Maybe someone told the person to price at 60.99 or 69 and whomever wrote the actual price tag made a mistake.....
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Sun 05, 2017 10:35 am

Well, whatever happened with the pricing, I see from the hand written tag, they put it out for sale sometime the same day that I bought it. If it wasn't me, you can bet someone else would have snatched it up soon after. :angel:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SpecialEd » Mar Mon 06, 2017 9:43 am

Goodwill is a gold mine.

Can't wait to see what you frankenstein out of that thing Ronny.
SpecialEd
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Mar Mon 06, 2017 11:32 am

SpecialEd wrote:Goodwill is a gold mine.

Yes, all kinds of raw materials for the tinkerer. I recently got a like-new, sweet Lowrance brand zippered battery battery case for $4.

SpecialEd wrote:Can't wait to see what you frankenstein out of that thing Ronny.

It's done and I'm taking pics now.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Kayaking