Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Hobie PA 12

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Bukowdave 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I was wondering how many of you guys own the hobie pro angler 12, and if you use it on Lake Michigan. Do you think it will get the job done, or would I be better off looking for the 14? Any input would be greatly appreciated and any feedback on either model of pro angler would also be nice!
Thanks and tight lines all!

#3 ·
Thanks!
Actually ChiCityYaker is the one that really got me thinking about it! I've been watching his videos on youtube, and it just seems like such an unreal experience! Hoping him, and the others see this and give me their input! Possibly even invite me out with them :D

#5 ·
Hi Dave,

If you plan on spending a decent amount of time on Lake Michigan, I would absolutely go with the Pro Angler 14. Don't get me wrong, the 12 will be OK out there but the extra length of the 14 makes a big big difference in terms of overall stability in "sporty" waters, tracking, and overall handling. With that said, I actually find myself using my Outback on the big pond more than I do my PA.

If you are only going to be on the lake occasionally and on inland waters the majority of the time, the 12 is fantastic.

Not sure if you have any seat time in either the 12 or the 14 but if not, I can get a demo with a 12 and a 14 set up for you at Quest Watersports in Ottawa. Or, we could take my 14 out to Mazonia one day

#6 ·
I have only tried out the PA models at demo days along with other Hobies as well. My advice is buy it if you can afford it, you only live once, and most definitely get some significant seat time in both the 12 and 14. You want to make sure that you won't have buyers remorse.
~JOE~

#7 ·
Always go longer. It will track better.
This isn't a canoe. The PA has a rudder and a tracking skeg. The 12' version will track just fine.

I actually find myself using my Outback on the big pond more than I do my PA.
BFA, I would think the PA 12 would handle big water better than the Outback. Is there a specific reason why you find yourself using the Outback more? Is it ease of transport.

Cost wise the PA14 vs. the PA12 is small. I think the biggest reason one would choose the 12 is weight or more broadly difficulty of transport. I could see that 20 extra pounds making a difference

#8 ·
Ease of transport is a tiny part of the equation - hull shape is the majority. The outback handles the high frequency chop that we have on LM better than either PA because of the tail end. Where the PA's rear end is quite flat, the Outback is "pointy". This makes a huge difference anytime a wave is coming from the rear. With the flat tail, any wave from behind tends to grab and turn the PA a bit.

Additionally, I find the Outback to be a bit faster/easier to cover distance with.

With that said, I've spent plenty of time in the 14 in rougher water and never felt uncomfortable...I just happen to prefer the Outback.

And length still matters...even with the skeg.

#11 ·
Bukowdave said:
Okay, so what I've read I've got that the 14 outperforms the 12 for the most part, and that the outback possibly might be better for lake michigan? Pretty new to this and trying to figure out what would be best before i actually buy. Thanks all!
Sort of...

The PA 12 feels like it pedals a bit easier (the effort required) but it's not faster than the 14 - some say it's a marginally slower. The 12 also turns sharper so it's a bit more maneuverable in tighter waters.

The 14 offers more storage and open deck space than 12 - and most definitely than the outback - and tends to track a bit better. Some say it's slightly faster as well.

Between the 2 Pro Anglers - if I only fished inland lakes and rivers, I'd get a 12. If I spent a lot of time on Lake Michigan, I'd get the 14.

#12 ·
There is no substitute for getting in the yaks and trying them. Like I said earlier I have tried the PA 12 and 14, the Ouback and the Revolution 13. I am probably the only one who prefers the Revo 13. With no plans to fish big waters and not being a gear hog out on the water the 13 fits me to a tee. Plus it is a bit lighter so car topping would be easier.

I also thought that it paddled better than the PA or the Outback.
~JOE~

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.