Kayak Paddle Info

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

Kayak Paddle Info

Postby vman01 » Feb Thu 01, 2018 12:01 am

I reviewed the threads here. Lots of good info but did not find much on Kayak paddle preferences. Be interesting to know what WCFs like/dislike in a paddle. I have googled and understand what's out there. Looking for good quality and bang for the buck and what folks are using.
Thanks
vman01
Fishing Czar

Re: Kayak Paddle Info

Postby Rambler » Feb Thu 01, 2018 8:25 am

Lots of info on the web about proper length. I had a chat with the late, legendary Ralph Frese years ago about blade size. He said that unless you were planning on doing lots of whitewater (not much of that here abouts) all you need to consider is 100 sq inches regardless of the shape of the blade.

I've had 2 Carlise paddles for years. One is a 2-piece kayak paddle, the other is a canoe paddle. Both are at least 35 years old and have taken serious beatings and both have held up remarkably.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Feb Thu 01, 2018 1:40 pm

Can I assume aluminum shaft with fiberglass blade? From what I read I should be looking at ~230-240 length
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Feb Thu 01, 2018 2:20 pm

vman01 wrote:Can I assume aluminum shaft with fiberglass blade? From what I read I should be looking at ~230-240 length

Mine are both aluminum shafts & fiberglass blades. As I said they take a lickin' & keep on goin' (not to sound like Bruce Rauner). :D

Not sure this is true anymore but one benefit of Carlisle paddles is that they're made in the USA. At least they were when I bought them.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Feb Thu 01, 2018 9:24 pm

https://www.harmonygear.com/products/98 ... lades.html

Cant beat this for the price. Low weight. Yet tough.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Feb Thu 01, 2018 10:56 pm

SKI,
That is a nice one and about 1/4lb lighter than the others I was looking at.
Thanks
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby RonG » Feb Fri 02, 2018 1:04 am

I wouldn't sweat it. I've just used the paddles that came with the 2 kayaks that I've owned. For fishing? Unless you are in competition or touring long distances in a long, sea kayak, I wouldn't put too much import in the dang paddle.

vman01 wrote:SKI,
That is a nice one and about 1/4lb lighter than the others I was looking at.

1/4 lb? Seriously... 4 oz?...that's the pre-cooked weight of the patty in a Quarter Pounder w/cheese, minus the cheese, ketchup, mustard, pickles, sodium, bun. If 4 pre-cooked oz sets you back, you have been de-masculated by our society. When the aluminum cracked on my paddle last summer, I added about 2 oz of JB Weld Epoxy to make it stronger than new.

Skifish has a bionic leg. I don't even have a foot that I can use anymore and have been pushing it, fishing like a he-man on borrowed time for 5 years. JMDog is out fishing with his face sliced open and squirting blood. A 4 oz lighter paddle? :roll:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Fri 02, 2018 8:04 am

Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Feb Fri 02, 2018 9:11 am

Thanks G for the info and the roasting. I agree.

When I started the thread I was wondering if anyone was using fiberglass shafts for any reason or had preferences for the blade shapes I should consider. For what we are doing it appears the standard paddles are the paddles of choice for Yak fishing.

I do appreciate the links to the paddles Identified so far as well.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby FloridaRigger » Feb Fri 02, 2018 7:39 pm

I have aluminum, fiberglass and carbon fiber shaft paddles. there is a noticeable difference. I'd suggest going fiberglass at a minimum. assuming you have a sit on top wide kayak and are average height, go at least 240cm long. the bending branches angler classic is a good value. the aqua bound sting ray is also good
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby vman01 » Feb Fri 02, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks Rigger,
I reviewed some negatives on the BB angler related to the notch in the blade for line snagging on weeds so I steered away. otherwise both look like well made paddles as well. What difference are you noticing?
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby FloridaRigger » Feb Fri 02, 2018 11:10 pm

you can get the BB paddles without the notch, although I've never had an issue with it. the BB slice is the same paddle without the notch or measuring tape on the shaft. personally I like the stingray better. fiberglass is lighter and easier to paddle than aluminum; carbon fiber is even lighter, but not as strong as fiberglass. i have a bad rotator cuff so I normally use the sting ray hybrid with the carbon fiber. i prefer low angle strokes, so 240cm is the minimum I like for a SOT kayak.
FloridaRigger
Fishing Czar

Postby vman01 » Feb Mon 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Based on the info provided looks like most felt the aluminum paddles were good for what we need fishing. Paddle shape was also not a big factor and most paddles fell in the 85-95 sq inch which was inline with the recommended.

I purchase the Harmony "Adventure" paddle from the Harmony site. They claim made in USA and it arrived in 2 days with no damage and the "Made in USA " stickers were on the paddle . $57 bucks delivered and all things considered it is one of the lightest and came in camo color.

Time will tell how it holds up. If I have a negative experience I will post an update incase someone else is looking in the future. otherwise all good
Thanks for the responses,
vman01
Fishing Czar

Return to Kayaking