Winter Kayaking/Fishing Gloves

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

Winter Kayaking/Fishing Gloves

Postby Spi11 » Dec Sun 09, 2018 7:23 pm

Hey all really enjoyed reading the reports through the year. Brutal year for me regarding fishing, was hardly able to get out and when I did it was such limited time it was hard to be as successful as I hoped.

With that, the work schedule has finally lightened up and I was planning on hitting a couple rivers, probably fox and dpr to at least scout them, and maybe catch a fish or two. So what I was wondering, what’s a good pair of gloves for kayaking in the winter? I checked a couple older post, and looks like neoprene is a good way to go. Are they warm, or is it just to keep your hands dry? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Spi
Spi11
Pan Fish

Re: Winter Kayaking/Fishing Gloves

Postby Ryguy83 » Dec Sun 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Glacier gloves are great. They have a model with split fingers and a model with a full glove. You will obviously get water in potentially with the split fingers but they are plenty warm, keep the wind out as long as you dont let water get in your fingers, dry as a bone.
Ryguy83
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Spi11 » Dec Sun 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Ryguy, appreciate the recommendation, I'll check them out.
Spi11
Pan Fish

Postby cletedius » Dec Sun 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Plug for sealskinz.

Breathable neoprene. Not much in the way of insulation, but keeps hands dry, and combats the claminess that can happen with non-breathable neoprene. Best part about sealskinz, imo, is the dexterity. Can tie mono/fluoro knots, use a baitcaster, smartphone, without having to remove.
Cons: the waterproof ability lasts about 1 season, & they are not necessarily disposable-priced. Usually have had to replace every year, but small price to pay imo for dry, warm hands. Not heavily insulated, but a cheap pair of glove liners helps (or handwarmers) add to warmth.
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Skifish1 » Dec Mon 10, 2018 12:11 am

Really like these and under 10 dollars
Memphis Gloves Ninja® Ice HPT Coated Cold Weather Work Gloves
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Dec Mon 10, 2018 1:53 am

If you decide on neoprene, wear the warmest gloves/mittens possible when you're paddling and switch to the neoprene while you're fishing or better yet, get a pair of mittens you can fit over the neoprene and quickly tug off when you're ready to fish and throw back on if your hands get cold, wet or both, as they will.
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Dec Mon 10, 2018 9:26 am

Wish I could help but I don't wear gloves when fishing. I do kayak and fish all winter. Temperatures must be mid to high 20s for a casting outing though. Anything lower you're just making snow cones and ruining your guides. Save me the "poor motor oil on your guides bruh" or pam or whatever you read online one time and tried when it was 35 degrees out :roll:

Ive found I've been able to cope with bare hands in those temperatures which has enabled me to avoid the perfect glove search. I will occasionally wear up 1 glove or 2 while solely paddling or vertical jigging.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby Phil6 » Dec Mon 10, 2018 12:05 pm

HEDDONFROG wrote:get a pair of mittens you can fit over the neoprene

I hear leather "choppers" are great for this. Getting a custom pair for christmas from the lady :)

I think I'm going to swap the traditional wool liner for a neoprene pair for ice fishing, so I can scoop fish out without getting wet
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Dec Mon 10, 2018 1:16 pm

I wear Glacier Gloves when paddling & take them off in favor of fingerless wool gloves while fishing. On the other hand, these days I don't much go paddling when the temps are below 40. Afraid my knees will freeze & lock up & I'll never be able to get out of the canoe at the end of the day.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Spi11 » Dec Mon 10, 2018 11:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I agree I’ll probably carry multiple pairs, set for paddling and set if I fish. I did hit BP today and picked up a set of the insulated glacier gloves, liked them because I have a pair of wool liners that fit perfectly under them, and had points saved up so that’s always a good deal. Cletedius, tried on the sealskinz, really like them, but I couldn’t fit my liners in them well. I have a pair of gloves that are very similar to them, some other brand that were cold or wet mountain biking gloves. The sealskinz fit real well and are flexible so I could see how they would be good for wearing when actually fishing, maybe I’ll pick up a pair of those too.
Spi11
Pan Fish

Return to Kayaking