TANTO Kayak Rail Rack

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

TANTO Kayak Rail Rack

Postby polishfly » Mar Sun 31, 2019 7:10 pm

I made another thing! This time it's specifically fishing related! And it will hopefully be the last thing I make till fall/winter. Time to use the shit out of everything!

I couldn't find a kayak rack that I liked so that I didn't have to ghetto haul the yak like I did the first outing last Labor Day weekend. I decided to make a set of rails that utilize the two channels in the bottom of my FeelFree Lure 11.5 kayak. This turned out a lot better than I expected in function, even though the aesthetics could are not up to my standards personally. It is solid at 75mph on the highway in wind today and does just fine on our pot hole dotted roads. I have enough room on either side to add J carriers for other kayaks if needed. It is actually surprisingly easy to get the yak on and off and takes about 3 minutes to strap into place with the 4 straps (3 cams and 1 ratchet).

I think the whole TANTO Trailers thing is going to become a real deal soon with a friend being interested in helping me build them so if you want to keep up with the latest I have created an Instagram account that will probably be where I post up the most. Hope to see you guys out on the water soon, I heard the DPR is poppin!

Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tantotrailers/
or
Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pg/TANTO-Trail ... 265/posts/

All my rack build pics are on my website: https://tantotrailers.com/buildcraft

Original polishfly-haul method:
40439228_10217956454042694_7852654299740897280_o.jpg

New civilized method:
PCP_2130 - Copy2.jpg

PCP_2029 - Copy.JPG

PCP_2076 - Copy.JPG

PCP_2086 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: TANTO Kayak Rail Rack

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Mon 01, 2019 7:38 am

That rack looks nicer than the junk Malone sells.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Apr Mon 01, 2019 8:29 am

Looks good Pfly. Are the crossbars store bought or did you McGyver those?

~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby polishfly » Apr Mon 01, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks Marcus! I couldn't find anything that prevented the kayak from going side to side while providing added front to back weight support. This was my solution and it worked out perfectly for my needs. The cedar I used was unbelievably straight and almost weightless. Installation was a different story...cursing got me through it.

Joe, the crossbars came from a teardrop manufacturer where I bought my windows and doors from in Michigan. I think he makes them or has the guy who makes his trailer frames make them. I did put 3/4" solid steel bars inside the cross bar tubes to add structural support because I didn't want my kayak flexing or permanently bending them, so...a slight McGiver modification per usual...even the rods had to be modified cause they rattled inside the cross bar tubes...oh OCD...what would I do without you...probably a lot less unnecessary shit haha.
polishfly
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby urbanHog312 » Apr Mon 01, 2019 12:48 pm

nice job. very clean. my friend just turned his nissan cargo van into a camper and the maiden voyage is this weekend.
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Apr Mon 01, 2019 5:29 pm

Looks great.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to Kayaking