Elmer's Glue All Max

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

Elmer's Glue All Max

Postby Rambler » Apr Tue 16, 2019 10:15 am

Posting this here although my boat isn't really a kayak.

My ancient 12' Old Town has some modifications that I thought were original. Along each side running under the gunnels are flotation strips made of 3" thick closed cell foam. Last year one of them cracked and 3/4 of it fell off. Thankfully it happened while I was paddling & I managed to save it. I also noticed that the other strip was coming loose.

I contacted Old Town and left a message asking about replacements. Never heard back so I'm assuming it means a previous owner stuck the strips on there some years ago. I bought this from my best friend who bought it in Alaska in the 70s. So it's anybody's guess.

So last week when we were having a touch of warm weather I climbed on a ladder (it hangs in my garage), glued it all back together with Elmer's Max. Put some big clamps on it to hold things together while it dried. Checked on it the next day and everything seems rock-solid. Taking it out to Skokie Lagoons this afternoon & will see if it's as good as it looks.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Elmer's Glue All Max

Postby joetrain » Apr Tue 16, 2019 11:00 am

Rambler make sure you hit all the downed trees with either a weightless fluke type bait or a spinnerbait. It might be a tad early yet but I used to clean up on bass in those areas around this time of year. I always launched north of Tower on the side of the road.

As a bonus you can cruise the banks and pick off all the crappie jigs that are snagged in the trees. AACB for life bro.
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Elmer's Glue All Max

Postby Rambler » Apr Wed 17, 2019 7:15 am

Joe: I hit a lot of downed trees with my canoe. :D Everything held together just fine. Threw all sorts of lures including swimbaits & spinnerbaits but got no action. One 'casual' hit on a Keitech.

My buddy got skunked too. Water was really cold & stained - lots of runoff from the big snow we had earlier in the week. Got some good shots of Great Blues though. Good day.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Kayaking