Winter time cats

Kayaking is more popular than ever! Here's your place to discuss all things kayak - rigging, equipment, outings, etc.

Winter time cats

Postby joetrain » Jan Thu 14, 2021 5:08 pm

We have had some chilly mornings down here in NC. High 20s had me remembering my Chicago days. The last few days have warmed up some so I decided to do some catfishing.

I went out twice last week. One day was a skunk and the other was a 2 fish day. 7 fish day today. Various sizes from upper teens to dink.

Stupid me forgot to turn off my camera so the battery went dead and I couldn’t get pictures of the 2 best fish.

Great day out there today. A bit of wind but manageable and air temps near 50.

I’m still waiting for my 50+ pounder but so far I’m happy with my results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Winter time cats

Postby urbanHog312 » Jan Fri 15, 2021 9:30 pm

some dandy eaters though
gin, smoke, lies
urbanHog312
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby ganz1960 » Jan Sat 16, 2021 6:31 am

Nice fish! And you caught 2 more even better than these!

Like you, we had some cold temps (30s) here in southern Texas recently. But a nice warmup is predicted for this coming week. Let's hope the warmer temps reach NC too.
ganz1960
Game Fish

Postby joetrain » Jan Sat 16, 2021 7:19 am

I would say that the fish in the photos are average size for Kerr Lake. I think in 2019 the world record for blue cats was broken twice at Kerr. Not sure but somewhere around 140+ lbs. My biggest so far was pushing 30.

Last year I had a fish literally rip/break the rod holder off my kayak. I felt the take down and my kayak started listing to the starboard side. The rod was bent over almost to breaking. The very second I put my hand on it the rod and rod holder ripped off right into my hand. No telling what I had because I lost the fish. I have since redesigned how I mount my gear tracks as well as changing my gear tracks out from plastic to metal.

I’m am now saving up to purchase a boat. I’m thinking another year and I’ll have enough saved. Nothing fancy for me. I want something I don’t have to baby. 16 foot aluminum John boat, maybe a 25+ hp tiller handle and a trolling motor. I fish solo so I just need room for myself, equipment and my dog.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby FishinMatt » Jan Sat 16, 2021 10:48 am

The more I watch guys like Kayak Catfish and read reports like yours, the more I want to fish for those giant blues. I'm sure Lasalle Lake would be prime and I would imagine not many people are actually taking advantage of these methods.
FishinMatt
Site Moderator

Postby joetrain » Jan Sat 16, 2021 12:47 pm

Matt if I were you I would definitely take some time and learn that fishery. I’m telling you these fish fight hard and they don’t pussy foot around when they take the bait. Found this for you for a primer. https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/6/10/ ... c-shutdown

Spend some time out there and I’m sure with your abilities you will be rewarded.

When I’m drifting I keep an eye on my depth finder and try to stay on structure. Sometimes I find them on flats or the tip and sides of long points or channel ledges or in the old creek channel. The other day one spot in particular held the majority of my catch. It was the ledge where the point finally dropped into deep water particularly where that ledge made a sharp inside turn on the side of the point. I pinpointed it later when I got home on the Navionics website.

When I’m drifting I am usually casting as well trying to catch panfish or whatever. Sometimes I’m napping too.

~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Jan Thu 21, 2021 1:14 pm

You certainly have it down pat on singing those blues. Nice!

I've heard tales of people catching 75lbers at Lasalle, but never have seen photos or any in person. Biggest I ever landed there was 25ish on fresh cut shad, now that I think about that, it was probably 10+ years ago. How time flies when you're getting old.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Kayaking