Chicago Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Field Herpin'

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Brett 
#1 ·
Herpetology (from Greek "herpein" meaning "to creep") is the branch of zoology concerned with the study of amphibians (including frogs, toads, salamanders, newts, and caecilians (gymnophiona)) and reptiles (including snakes, lizards, amphisbaenids, turtles, terrapins, tortoises, crocodilians, and the tuataras).

The great thing about having kids is it gives you a perfect excuse to a grown man to go out and catch frogs, snakes and salamanders. Which we did, yesterday in Indiana. My 10 year old is really good at it, he is a little Steve Irwin. Crikey!

Here are a few critters he found. This is CPR no collecting.

Y

#9 ·
Awesome pics, as always KankRat! I've also never seen a salamander outside of captivity in Illinois, with the exception of the big ones caught at Navy Pier in winter. I've caught a few of those during my perch adventures down there. Always a fun surprise to pull one in instead of a perch. Mud puppies are a slang term for em, I believe. A full aquatic salamander species, if I'm not mistaken.

#11 ·
Awesome picts. I find a wide variety of snakes as I myself slither around various waters, but I've never spotted
a salamander or newt in decades of wishful hunting. Of course I live in the part of Cook County where the restoration
experts have been very busy the last five years or so. Maybe I should stop looking under beer cans. :? :lol:

#12 ·
UglyStick said:
Awesome picts. I find a wide variety of snakes as I myself slither around various waters, but I've never spotted
a salamander or newt in decades of wishful hunting. Of course I live in the part of Cook County where the restoration
experts have been very busy the last five years or so. Maybe I should stop looking under beer cans. :? :lol:
There are blue spotted salamanders in CCFPs. You have to turn rotting logs to find them. Good places to look have femoral ponds in spring. Look around places with not much water. Tigers and spotted are mole salamanders and they burrow, but they are found here too. On the first warm night in spring where you get a good rain storm, the tigers will come out to lay eggs.

#14 ·
Cool stuff KankRat. I used to see all sorts of salamanders in the streams of the Great Smokies. Almost got bitten once. Good idea not to mess with them too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.