A Couple Shots

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

A Couple Shots

Postby KankRat » Sep Sun 10, 2017 5:17 pm

Could not get out to fish today, but did squeeze off a few shots you might find interesting. Quick Nature walk with wife and son at local forest preserve.

Hummingbird- There are few things that blur at 1/2000th of a second. A hummingbirds wins is one of them. They are challenging to photograph.

ImageHummingbird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Easier when they hold still.
ImageHummingbird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

This is a parasitic wasp. The spider isn't dead, it's paralyzed from a sting. The wasp will drag it into it's nest and lay an egg on it. The larva wasp will feed on the spider while it's still alive.

Imageud Dauber w/ Jumping Spider by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Imageud Dauber w/ Jumping Spider by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Re: A Couple Shots

Postby Woohoodude11 » Sep Mon 11, 2017 7:04 am

I've never seen a hummingbird still. Not gonna lie, its like seeing a dog walking on two legs :lol:

Great shots as always, look forward to the next batch.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Scipio24 » Sep Mon 11, 2017 7:40 am

Always epic shots. Very nice. I've seen that wasp (or at least a similar one before) on shows. Not fun for the spider.
~Scott
Scipio24
Fishing Fanatic

Postby UglyStick » Sep Mon 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Woohoodude11, if you're ever by a forest preserve nature center in the summer, they probably have a hummingbird
feeder set up by a viewing window. I have the Little Red School House nature center in my neck of the woods in Cook
County.

KankRat, have you ever gotten a shot of a cicada-killer wasp? I have yet to see one actually stop moving for an instant.
Nasty things to have by your front or back door. They dig holes so big to deposit their egg, you think it was a mouse instead.

And thanks for the great pics.
UglyStick
Pan Fish

Postby KankRat » Sep Mon 11, 2017 2:44 pm

UglyStick wrote:Woohoodude11, if you're ever by a forest preserve nature center in the summer, they probably have a hummingbird
feeder set up by a viewing window. I have the Little Red School House nature center in my neck of the woods in Cook
County.

KankRat, have you ever gotten a shot of a cicada-killer wasp? I have yet to see one actually stop moving for an instant.
Nasty things to have by your front or back door. They dig holes so big to deposit their egg, you think it was a mouse instead.
And thanks for the great pics.

I shoot at Little red Schoolhouse a lot. If you go there regularly you may have seen me. Camp Sagawau has many more hummingbird feeders and hummingbirds than LRS.

I have not shot a cicada killer yet. Lots of them at Indiana Dunes. They look freaking scary.

Game changer for shooting action for me, put the camera on M. Set the shutterspeed to 1/2000th sec., stop it down to f8 or whatever 1-2 stops from wide open- unless you have really good glass. Then you can shoot wide open. Then set the ISO to AUTO. That will freeze most birds or bugs in flight. If the subject stops moving- perces you can roll the shutterspeed down to a lot slower- which will drive the ISO lower- better quality.

I also use backbutton auto focus and a single auto focus point and always keep the eye in focus- that's critical.
I don't really worry about composition too much in the field since I'll probably crop in post. I am worried about motion blur, exposure and focus. If I have time then I'll try to compose better in camera.
I should post some before and after post process.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby EAS » Sep Mon 11, 2017 3:06 pm

Not bad for your iPhone dude. :wink:
EAS

Postby Woohoodude11 » Sep Mon 11, 2017 3:15 pm

UglyStick wrote:Woohoodude11, if you're ever by a forest preserve nature center in the summer, they probably have a hummingbird
County.

What I said was worded odd.

I've seen a few, mostly in Arizona. I've never seen one just standing on a branch (ie STANDING still)

It was early, I was still asleep :lol:
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Sep Mon 11, 2017 3:24 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:I've never seen a hummingbird still. Not gonna lie, its like seeing a dog walking on two legs :lol:

Great shots as always, look forward to the next batch.

I have two feeders in my backyard that I setup summer of 2016 right after we moved in, as I got buzzed by some hummers cutting the grass and stuff our first spring there. Each one hangs from the overhang on the house in front of our two livingroom windows. I've had up to 4 at a time at the feeders this year - 3 female ruby-throated, and 1 male. The first year I only saw one at any given time, but it could have been more as the females all look identical when they're buzzing around. The females don't like each other and get super territorial over the feeders. It was a funny moment this year, as I was sitting out on my patio having a beer and a cig, and 3 females happened to fly up to the feeders at once. Was the first time I saw more than two females at once, and my first indication that there was likely 3-4 different birds visiting daily this summer. So one hits the one feeder and is fine, and two of the other females happened to go to the same feeder. They both stopped dead in the air, and hovered, just staring each other down. Then a chase ensued like little fighter jets in a dogfight. The two went at it all around the feeders for about a full minute, chasing each other in circles, stopping and staring at each other, etc. Finally the one chased the other one off into the tree in my neighbor's yard, then tried to chase the third one off. This was when the male showed up and stepped in, and he seemed to mediate between the other two females. One went to one feeder, and the other stayed on the one it was at. The male took a drink and buzzed off. Was fun to watch the whole thing play out.

And yes, they don't sit still all that often. In 2 summers I've captured maybe half a dozen pics or less of them actually sitting on the perches on the one feeder and feeding. Basically 99% of the time they're moving, which is why they need to feed so much.

Nice pics, KankRat, as always.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Sep Mon 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Woohoodude11 wrote:
County.

What I said was worded odd.
I've seen a few, mostly in Arizona. I've never seen one just standing on a branch (ie STANDING still)
It was early, I was still asleep :lol:

I got ya.
What I was driving at is at Camp Sagauwa they have many feeders over a dozen and a beautiful garden with hummingbird attracting plants. So there are lots of hummers buzzing around, they do perch and fairly often. You just need to go somewhere there are a lot of them.
Crowds there are small, unlike LRS and it's a really nice place to go and just chill out.
http://fpdcc.com/nature-centers/sagawau ... ng-center/
Sag Quarry is right next door- big bass lurk in there- albeit hard to catch.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby travelingfisherman » Oct Thu 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Nice pictures, thank you for posting them.
travelingfisherman
Pan Fish

Postby Phil6 » Oct Fri 06, 2017 8:35 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:I've never seen a hummingbird still.

Have you ever seen a hummingbird moth? Lots of people will mistake them for the birds, just a heads up. Crazy bug
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby FISHdank » Oct Fri 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Love the bird shots man. Beautiful!
I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
FISHdank
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Oct Fri 20, 2017 8:07 pm

Phil6 wrote:
Woohoodude11 wrote:I've never seen a hummingbird still.

Have you ever seen a hummingbird moth? Lots of people will mistake them for the birds, just a heads up. Crazy bug

Thanks all for the nice words from everyone. It's nice to have fellow anglers / wildlife enthusiasts as an auddience.

Phil, yes. Clear wing sphinx-moth Sorry, somehow I may have intended to answer your question in detail then forgot.

This may be the best shot I have ever taken. It's a respectable shot but not being video does not really demonstrate the resemblance you describe. The pic kind of assumes the viewer knows whats going on. Like you said, it's kind of freaky how the sound and everything is so similar.
These are at West Beach at the Dunes if I remember right.
ImageClear winged Sphinx Moth by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

ImageClear-Winged Sphinx Moth (aka Hummingbird Moth) by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby vman01 » Oct Sat 21, 2017 2:09 am

Really enjoyed these shots you took. Great day to be out and these pictures are so clear the colors pop out at you. Thanks your a craftsman/artist with your lens.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rieser » Oct Mon 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Well, the last couple of pics creeped me out when I realized there was a spider there. They're awesome though!
Rieser

Postby Phil6 » Oct Mon 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Holy cow, those moth pictures are stunning! Thanks for sharing those; Ive never seen one so clearly before. We get them feeding on our hunnysuckles and other flowers all summer.
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Return to Photography