Eyes Like a...

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

Re: Eyes Like a...

Postby Buffleheadbill » Jan Sun 14, 2018 1:28 am

Birds of prey are fascinating. While I was duck hunting this past November I seen a bald eagle chase a duck a grab it right outa the air. Unbelievable how quick and skilled they are.
Instagram unclebillly
Buffleheadbill
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Jan Sun 14, 2018 8:34 am

Kankrat: Great shots!

Buffleheadbill wrote:While I was duck hunting this past November I seen a bald eagle chase a duck a grab it right outa the air. Unbelievable how quick and skilled they are.

This is not an inborn skill - they have to learn it. Years ago along the Fox River near Burlington I watched a young Redtail trying to catch pigeons on the wing. REALLY entertaining. He got so frustrated he finally landed in a tree & just watched them. I could swear he was swearing at himself. :D
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Buffleheadbill » Jan Sun 14, 2018 12:14 pm

A couple weeks ago i saw a seagull and a crow going at it. The crow had enough and just landed in a tree.
Instagram unclebillly
Buffleheadbill
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rich D » Jan Sun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Great pics, as always.

Funny you mention this - yesterday in Batavia on the Fox River I was watching a juvenile bald eagle mock dive onto a pair of migratory ducks. It never quite committed to the attack, but watching it swoop and dive was amazing.

I don't even think the pair of ducks knew what almost happened to them.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Jan Mon 15, 2018 7:47 am

Rich D wrote:Funny you mention this - yesterday in Batavia on the Fox River I was watching a juvenile bald eagle mock dive onto a pair of migratory ducks. It never quite committed to the attack, but watching it swoop and dive was amazing.

I don't even think the pair of ducks knew what almost happened to them.

That eagle knows the answer to the old question, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" :D
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Jan Mon 15, 2018 9:27 am

Hawks usually ambush their prey. Falcons (like American Kestrel and Peregrine Falcon) are built to take other birds out in flight.

Have you ever seen other birds, like red-winged black birds actually land on an in-flight hawk's back and attack them? I have on more than one occasion. Would be cool to get a shot of that.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Rambler » Jan Mon 15, 2018 10:51 am

^^^ Back in '56 or '57 on what was my 1st real back country hike I saw my 1st eagles. There were smaller birds flying after them & really giving them a hard time. They were King birds. Don't recall them actually landing on the eagles. That would be cool to see.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Jan Mon 15, 2018 11:04 am

KankRat wrote:Have you ever seen other birds, like red-winged black birds actually land on an in-flight hawk's back and attack them? I have on more than one occasion. Would be cool to get a shot of that.

If you're familiar with Lake Arlington, you might be aware of the red wing blackbird problem. We had to put up signs because so many people were getting attacked. People would call 911 about rabid birds! lmao

Anyway, very very common to see a couple redwings or other small birds attacking hawks and other raptors while they fly over the forest path. The hawks usually just take their time and dont seem bothered by the dives. Most of the time they're bluff diving and dont strike the hawk
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby tacklebox » Jan Mon 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Now those are some cool pictures. Thanks for sharing!
tacklebox
Game Fish

Postby Rich D » Jan Mon 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Mark, I have never seen other birds actually land on a hawk's back, but on numerous occasions seen circling hawks harrassed in flight by groups of much smaller birds. Always meant to research the behavior.

It seemed to me that the hawks always kind of tolerated it.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Lip_Yanker » Jan Tue 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Wicked cool eyes. I love hawks, falcons etc..

"The behavior of small birds attacking a larger predator is called "mobbing." The smaller birds are trying to drive the bigger bird out of their territory. Blue Jays and American Crows mob birds of prey all year long; while other birds like mockingbirds, red-winged blackbirds, and common grackles primarily mob these big birds during the breeding season.

For the big bird, fleeing is more reasonable than expending unnecessary energy thwarting a small pest that is simply more versatile in air. However, if you're lucky you might witness a more experienced large bird using flight techniques such as barrel rolls to flash their talons at smaller birds or to get crows and ravens off their backs."

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » Jan Tue 16, 2018 8:16 pm

Thanks Lip_Yanker!

And of course Mark...
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Return to Photography