Burnham Harbor

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

Burnham Harbor

Postby KankRat » Feb Tue 06, 2018 11:16 am

Went to the Field Museum- just a heads up- free to Illinois residents in February.

Shot this with the panorama feature on my iPhone SE then fiddled with it in Lightroom. Looked pretty good straight out of camera...errr ah.. phone. There is also also editing software in the phone. Could do this better with a DSLR, but a lot more work.
ImageBurnham Harbor by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Burnham Harbor

Postby Woohoodude11 » Feb Tue 06, 2018 11:24 am

Gorgeous! If you like city shots and have Instagram, check out my buddy KarlSolano. Very similar style to this.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby RonG » Feb Tue 06, 2018 11:34 am

Nice pic!

Ah, the first place I went to when I started ice fishing. Burnham also caused me to buy a shanty. It was a 5 degree day with a strong wind, and I was the only nut out there sitting on a bucket. Everyone else in the whole harbor had shelters.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Feb Tue 06, 2018 12:28 pm

RonG wrote:Nice pic!

Ah, the first place I went to when I started ice fishing. Burnham also caused me to buy a shanty. It was a 5 degree day with a strong wind, and I was the only nut out there sitting on a bucket. Everyone else in the whole harbor had shelters.

I fish there with my boys, usually in summer. Mostly rock bass and smallies. I should really get out there and learn more about fishing the lakefront.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Lots of opportunities year round there. The trouts and salmonerds come through at their appropriate months. I picked up First Place (greatest total weight) and Big Fish Awards at the first annual Chicago Park District/Henry's Sports night time Salmon derby.

henrysgif.gif

RonGPrizes.GIF

The rock bass were so big and aggressive we were landing them on 3/4 oz. KO Wobbler spoons.

The perch can be awesome spring, summer and winter. I shot the infamous "Chuck Norris" perch video there. I discovered it was was a whole lot easier to kayak a few feet out into the harbor and clobber the jumbos than to risk my neck paddling out 1-3 miles into the open water for them. I've gotten some nice slab crappies fishing from the docks. And once a guy ice fishing next to me said he had gotten 10 cigar walleyes ice fishing one day in the week prior. I'd guess there should be some incidental pike and cats available too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:31 pm

RonG wrote:Lots of opportunities year round there. The trouts and salmonerds come through at their appropriate months. I picked up First Place (greatest total weight) and Big Fish Awards at the first annual Chicago Park District/Henry's Sports night time Salmon derby.

henrysgif.gif

RonGPrizes.GIF

The rock bass were so big and aggressive we were landing them on 3/4 oz. KO Wobbler spoons.

The perch can be awesome spring, summer and winter. I shot the infamous "Chuck Norris" perch video there. I discovered it was was a whole lot easier to kayak a few feet out into the harbor and clobber the jumbos than to risk my neck paddling out 1-3 miles into the open water for them. I've gotten some nice slab crappies fishing from the docks. And once a guy ice fishing next to me said he had gotten 10 cigar walleyes ice fishing one day in the week prior. I'd guess there should be some incidental pike and cats available too.

Nice fish. Stupid question, but where do you launch your kayak in the harbor? Didn't know you could do that.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:41 pm

KankRat wrote:Nice fish. Stupid question, but where do you launch your kayak in the harbor? Didn't know you could do that.

I've spent too many hours biking and scouting the lakefront looking for launch spots to give them all up publicly on the WWW, but there are a few spots there were the wall is low enough to launch.
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:47 pm

RonG wrote:
KankRat wrote:Nice fish. Stupid question, but where do you launch your kayak in the harbor? Didn't know you could do that.

I've spent too many hours biking and scouting the lakefront looking for launch spots to give them all up publicly on the WWW, but there are a few spots there were the wall is low enough to launch.

understandable.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Feb Tue 06, 2018 1:50 pm

KankRat wrote:
RonG wrote:

understandable.

Check your PMs. :wink:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Tue 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Fantastic shot. All you need to see to understand what a beautiful city Chicago is.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Feb Tue 06, 2018 7:28 pm

Hopefully I haven't posted this one before. I shot this in Cal Park on 95th street. Never fished there. I had a cool winter cell phone shot- with my iPhone 4s . Unfortunately I can't find it. The pic or the phone.
This one was with the Nikon D200, a very expensive camera in '05. Cheap in '12 when I got it. I think they were like $1500 for the body alone, maybe more. I paid like $150. Build quality was spectacular and the mirror really felt well dampened.
ImageCal Park Sunrise by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:34 pm

Another old one.ImageChicago Skyline 1 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby RonG » Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:55 pm

A couple more stunning photos.! :thumbup:

All three are waters I've traveled with my kayak and have published kayak fishing vids from all three spots. I haven't been on the big lake in a few years and am living good memories through your pics. :mrgreen:
RonG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Feb Tue 06, 2018 10:26 pm

The color in that skyline shot is is incredible.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Feb Wed 07, 2018 12:38 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:The color in that skyline shot is is incredible.

Agreed. Definitely suitable for framing
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Feb Wed 07, 2018 8:36 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:
Woohoodude11 wrote:The color in that skyline shot is is incredible.

Agreed. Definitely suitable for framing

Thanks. Very cold, dry night. No water in the atmosphere. I think that's why so saturated.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby SmalliesNEyes » Feb Wed 07, 2018 8:50 am

Some great pictures as always. That last skyline shot is stunning.
SmalliesNEyes
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Feb Wed 07, 2018 9:22 am

Love the sunset photo, looks very dystopian
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby JB » Feb Wed 07, 2018 9:38 am

Great photos! You’ve got the camera eye!
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rich D » Feb Thu 15, 2018 1:16 pm

A little late on this one perhaps Mark, but a buddy of mine has been photographing a snowy owl during the day at Burnham over the past couple of weeks.

Seems to like sitting atop some of the old wooden posts right on the water behind McCormick.
Rich D
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Feb Thu 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Rich D wrote:A little late on this one perhaps Mark, but a buddy of mine has been photographing a snowy owl during the day at Burnham over the past couple of weeks.

Seems to like sitting atop some of the old wooden posts right on the water behind McCormick.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep a look out.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby bapentec » Feb Sat 17, 2018 12:25 am

Your shots are amazing man. Thank you for sharing them! Made my day.
bapentec
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Feb Sat 17, 2018 7:43 am

I've got some shots of Burnham too. They remind me of the conversation between JFK and John Glen just after Glen came back from orbit.

Glen told Kennedy he took pictures of the earth while he was in space. Kennedy asked, "How'd they come out?" Glen said, "Not so good - somebody moved."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Feb Sat 17, 2018 11:17 am

Rambler,
Now that is funny and looks like some of my work.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby badger75 » Feb Tue 20, 2018 11:20 am

Terrific shots and I love the composition. Very good eye appeal.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Return to Photography