Time Lapse on a Cellphone

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

Time Lapse on a Cellphone

Postby KankRat » Apr Sat 07, 2018 10:03 pm

I shot this on the windowsill next to my desk. iPhone SE, the cheapest phone Apple makes. Edited in iMovie a cheap or free app. I never used the time lapse feature before and decided to, literally about 1 minute before that first tree fell. Quickly I grabbed a paper cup and improvised a "tripod" by cutting two slots to stand the phone up in. That's 37 minutes into the first edit, then my battery croaked as it was low to start. I moved my desktop closer so my wire would reach and the phone would stay charged and shot two more vids.
The next day I opened up iMovie on the way home, I commute with a coworker, and stitched them together. You can put titles and I would bet music. If I wanted to, I could have uploaded to instagram, facebook or other anti-social media.
It's so easy I feel like it's almost cheating.
this is what Nikon, Canon etc... are up against ImageA Time Lapse of Tree Removal by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Time Lapse on a Cellphone

Postby Woohoodude11 » Apr Sat 07, 2018 11:42 pm

Its amazing the modes that come stock on these phones now. If they could get optical zoom, they could start to rival some of the entry level D-SLR's. So user friendly too.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby HEDDONFROG » Apr Sun 08, 2018 2:34 am

Man those guys work fast, definitely not union guys ;) very cool video, what was the real time length?
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Apr Sun 08, 2018 4:38 am

Always wanted to use the time lapse on the gopro just never got around to it. Nice stuff Kankrat, way to catch the tree terrorist in the act.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby joetrain » Apr Sun 08, 2018 4:41 am

^^^ Hey Carpenters Local 1185, 39 years here. :D
~JOE~
A Dio sia la gloria
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Apr Sun 08, 2018 8:50 am

HEDDONFROG wrote:Man those guys work fast, definitely not union guys ;) very cool video, what was the real time length?

Three videos, 1 about 37 minutes, two around 25 minutes. Total time to clear everything, they did about 6 or 7 trees not in view about 3 1/2 hours into mulch.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Apr Sun 08, 2018 10:12 am

Woohoodude11 wrote:Its amazing the modes that come stock on these phones now. If they could get optical zoom, they could start to rival some of the entry level D-SLR's. So user friendly too.

You are pretty much right.
The great equalizers are the user and the viewer. Most people want to do nothing more than press a button and upload to anti-social media as quickly as possible.
Views are so bombarded with digital images today, I think their tastes have been dumbed down. Even when they see an outstanding image and they like it, they really can't articulate why.

Like you said, stuff far away- sports. Cellphone not so good. Other than that cellphone probably is good enough for most people. In non- challenging situations they are pretty amazing.
Cellphones have awesome panorama features, slo mo video and the video itself is pretty kick ass. They even shoot video underwater water pretty good these days!

Think about this, if you took a person ho has never used a point and shoot camera, only a cellphone and told them here..."once you take the picture, go home take the card out put in your computer...and then you can upload to your Facecrook account" They would look at you like you had a screw loose. LOL the image quality would probably be worse with P&S! The only reason I think a P&S would be better is for battery life.

When it comes to better cameras, even entry level cameras and kit lenses are powerful tools. In the hands of a person motivated to take a great shot and learn how to use them even an entry level DSLR is a powerful tool.
The sensor on a entry level camera is pretty darn close to that of a high end camera,. They really are. the differences are better build quality, faster focus, faster frame rates, better shutters, built in motors so you can use more and older lenses and lastly they are made so that you can change settings faster without going thru menus. Once you learn how to unlock what that camera can do even the entry level cameras can turn out amazing results.
The big difference between a DSLR is in the size of the sensor. Cellphones and most cheap point and shoots have tiny sensors. So if you have two sensors of equal pixel count, say 16 mp and one sensor is a 10th of the size of the other, the pixels on the smaller sensor will have to also be smaller. Smaller pixels = less light gathering capability. So such cameras are not as good in low light situation. They produce noticably more digital noise.
More pixels give you more resolution, that's a good thing. But it comes at a cost in dynamic range. So if you have a picture with detail obscured in shadows that data won't be there. Part of this has to do is that the image was compressed into jpeg in the phone's processor it figures out via some engineers algorithm what part of dynamic range stays and what goes. That's why in harsh lighting it might only retain the mid-tones. Highlights are blown and shadows have no detail. Sometimes you want that, most not.
When you see great images coming out of a cellphone- it's more about the processing than than actual sensor. High end cellphones have really good processing. But what comes out of that camera is what you are stuck with, other than putting on various filters mimicking old film or something like that.

Most serious photographers shoot RAW uncompressed files and edit them in programs like Lightroom, PS or something similar. A RAW file has much more latitude for adjustment than a jpeg. There is more data in shadow and highlight areas, there are more colors so if the white balance is off you can adjust that too. You can also select areas to adjust. Pull up the shadows in just one area or knock down the highlights in another.

you heard the term "HDR" High Dynamic Range photography. That's where bracket 3 images. One normal exposure, one over exposed and one under exposed. Usually 2 stops either way. The camera or software combines them using the under exposed image for the highlights, and the over exposed for the shadows and the normal for everything else.
A RAW file from a modern DSLR sensor already has most of this data 2 EV either way. No problem at all.

It's quite astounding how much latitude a RAW file has. When I take an image out of my cellphone and try to edit it, there really is almost nothing there to edit. So essentially you are stuck with what came out.

In the grand scheme of things, how many people are willing to make this kind of effort. Not many.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Woohoodude11 » Apr Sun 08, 2018 11:53 am

My Fiance is a professional photographer, went to school for it and everything. I'm just amazed that reading that didn't feel like I was reading Chinese lol.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby crankybass » Apr Tue 10, 2018 2:51 pm

I wish we could get those guys to take those trunks and limbs to Old School and create some lay downs and brush piles! Last time I was there, the FPD were cutting trees and removing bushes, and I really wanted to move some of that down to the water.
crankybass
Fishing Czar

Postby Phil6 » Apr Tue 10, 2018 3:43 pm

KankRat wrote:cheap point and shoots have tiny sensors

I rarely see P&Ss anymore, I think the market is now DSLR>Mirrorless>Cellphone.

Quality mirrorless cameras are compact and take great quality pictures and video for the price, especially since they have interchangeable glass. I no longer recommend entry level DSLRs to people who "want a nice camera for vacation". If theyre asking, they probably wont know how to use half the features on a DSLR. I had an Olympus OM-D E-M10 and the thing was a powerhouse for the price and size. Great for quick pics and doesnt require as much room and adjustment as the D7000 my dad has
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Lip_Yanker » Apr Wed 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Cool vid. I'm more interested in why they took all those trees down. Diseased or bugs or...?
Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Apr Thu 12, 2018 9:51 am

Lip_Yanker wrote:Cool vid. I'm more interested in why they took all those trees down. Diseased or bugs or...?

New building going in there. There is a big hole there now.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Apr Thu 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Phil6 wrote:
KankRat wrote:cheap point and shoots have tiny sensors

I rarely see P&Ss anymore, I think the market is now DSLR>Mirrorless>Cellphone.

Quality mirrorless cameras are compact and take great quality pictures and video for the price, especially since they have interchangeable glass. I no longer recommend entry level DSLRs to people who "want a nice camera for vacation". If theyre asking, they probably wont know how to use half the features on a DSLR. I had an Olympus OM-D E-M10 and the thing was a powerhouse for the price and size. Great for quick pics and doesnt require as much room and adjustment as the D7000 my dad has

The market is now Cellphone> Cellphone> Cellphone > Everything else X 100.

Check out this graph. It's almost funny.
https://petapixel.com/2017/03/03/latest ... ct-camera/
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Phil6 » Apr Thu 12, 2018 1:33 pm

KankRat wrote:

holy crap... that is unexpected to say the least. I would think the mirrorless would be increasing over the last couple of years when PS started to dip, thanks for sharing that
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby KankRat » Apr Thu 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Phil6 wrote:
KankRat wrote:

holy crap... that is unexpected to say the least. I would think the mirrorless would be increasing over the last couple of years when PS started to dip, thanks for sharing that

If you are going on vacation, how much more quality do you need than this?
Image143 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Apr Thu 12, 2018 3:04 pm

KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Lip_Yanker » Apr Fri 13, 2018 8:20 am

KankRat wrote:
Lip_Yanker wrote:Cool vid. I'm more interested in why they took all those trees down. Diseased or bugs or...?

New building going in there. There is a big hole there now.

That was a thought besides disease or bugs, but figured they would have pulled the stumps instead of grinding.

Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Apr Fri 13, 2018 8:22 am

KankRat wrote:
Phil6 wrote:
KankRat wrote:

If you are going on vacation, how much more quality do you need than this?
Image143 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

My phone doesn't have that clarity by far, but it is a low end LG model. I can't bring myself to spend a couple hundred dollars on a phone though.

Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Apr Sat 14, 2018 8:53 am

[/quote]

My phone doesn't have that clarity by far, but it is a low end LG model. I can't bring myself to spend a couple hundred dollars on a phone though.

.[/quote][/quote]

That incedently was a Samsung Galaxy 5, I think they are on 8 or 9 now.
I wasn't suggesting you do. Point is other people are. When you already have something in your pocket that can do that kind of quality who needs to carry another device that is going to give you only marginally better results. That's why cameras are dying.

Cheapest cellphone Apple makes. SE. I think it has the camera of the 6S.
ImageWarner Bridge Kankakee River- Water Willow Nirvana by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Apr Tue 17, 2018 8:30 pm

Since the time of my last writing, my iPhone SE mysteriously croaked- a year out of warranty. After 2 hours of living hell at the Apple store, .- the equivalent of an hospital emergency room / car dealer service dept- no good times in either place.
It was determined that my little iPhone had a brain aneurysm is in not going to come out of it's coma.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Return to Photography