Birds and Stuff

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

Birds and Stuff

Postby KankRat » Jun Thu 14, 2018 8:21 pm

I got a new old lens. It's a fixed 300mm and I borrowed a 1.7 converter which puts me at 500mm. Very challenging to shoot with. It's really sharp,just stupid sharp and with beautiful colors . The teleconverter degrades the image and autofocus considerably. It has no vibration control so it's really hard to use hand held. But everything looks so beautiful color wise and sharpness wise that any flaws really show up.
It's really hard to "fix" anything in post, I don't understand why. I am also feeling like I need a new camera.

One of the first shots at 500mm.
ImageKilldeer by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

This gal is gravid with babies.
ImageNorthern Watersnake by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

On a hike at Cowles Bog I noticed the sun, peeking thru just lit up this iris flower
ImageWild Iris by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

This is a song sparrow. If you can tell that it's not the every day, run of the mill, sparrow you are probably a bird nerd. If you can identify it with out google, you probably don't get laid a lot. :-)
Upper right hand quadrant. Light colored spot is a flying insect. This lens sees everything.
ImageSong Sparrow by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Osprey, my second favorite bird. Check out the way the wing feather tips extend beyond the tail.
ImageOsprey by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Just a pretty bird.
ImageEastern Bluebird by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

This is a first for me. On a weekly basis I would bet 500 people walk right by this 15 feet overhead. i did. It's small and ridiculously well camouflaged. Even if someone is pointing at it it's hard to see.
See the lichen glued to it to match the branch. They use spider webs for that.
ImageHumming Bird on the nest by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

I am proud of this one. This is my favorite bird.
ImageGreen Heron by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Re: Birds and Stuff

Postby Busse Jim » Jun Thu 14, 2018 10:21 pm

Excellent shots KankRat

Saw a pair of Eastern Bluebirds in the woods on the way to the Eagle nest back in April. So colorful in the grey dull woods. Though, they never let me get within 50’ of em, and my cam sucks :lol: but were there both days.
Appreciate the great picts.
Never heard of a Killdeer 8)
Busse Jim
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jun Thu 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Those are all magnificent shots. And hand held. Beautiful, truly beautiful.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jun Fri 15, 2018 2:39 am

Beautiful images Kank
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jun Fri 15, 2018 5:50 am

Absolutely wonderful.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Jun Fri 15, 2018 5:56 am

Always look forward to your avarian posts.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby mack » Jun Fri 15, 2018 6:09 am

Wow! It's like looking at N.G.
mack
Game Fish

Postby KankRat » Jun Fri 15, 2018 7:18 am

badger75 wrote:Those are all magnificent shots. And hand held. Beautiful, truly beautiful.

Actually the last 3 are on a tripod, a big heavy Manfrotto tripod I bought in like 1987. What I quickly found, is that at 520mm I am not cropping in post so composition becomes important. The snake I am laying on the ground Camera is on the ground and my ear is in the dirt, to get the low eye level perspective.
Thanks all glad you like them
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby grems » Jun Fri 15, 2018 12:40 pm

You have a gift sir, really impressive you shot these locally.
grems
Game Fish

Postby Phil6 » Jun Fri 15, 2018 2:03 pm

Seriously amazing pics, a shame most people miss things like this in their own backyards. The hummingbird nest is awesome. I really like the fully extended heron shot
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Fishing Czar

Postby Islandfisher » Jun Fri 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Awesome pictures, I'm sending this to my dad who loves photography, thanks for sharing.
If you're fishing slow and not catching anything, fish slower.
Islandfisher
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby badger75 » Jun Sat 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Saw a pair of Kildeers this morning with four young ones learning the ropes. Only phone camera, no telephoto. Tried to get a snap but got "too" close at 15 yards, mama did a great lay-down, flop on back, distraction trick.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby CBatt2 » Jun Sun 17, 2018 10:42 am

SO GOOD! Was thinking about starting a new watercolor soon, and your photos have inspired me!
Amazing camo on the hummingbird nest. It reminds me of a morning I was walking to school along railroad tracks, and came upon a killdeer nest in the rocky embankment that ran alongside. After taking a look, and walking maybe 15 yards farther on, I decided to go back to make a mental note of "exactly" where it was, so I could show my brother on the way home. Only problem was, the eggs were so perfectly camouflaged, I wasn't able to find it again! In retrospect, I should've skipped school and spent the day exploring the tracks...but hindsight is 20/20! LOL!
CBatt2
Minnow

Postby KankRat » Jun Sun 17, 2018 11:06 am

CBatt2 wrote:SO GOOD! Was thinking about starting a new watercolor soon, and your photos have inspired me!
Amazing camo on the hummingbird nest. It reminds me of a morning I was walking to school along railroad tracks, and came upon a killdeer nest in the rocky embankment that ran alongside. After taking a look, and walking maybe 15 yards farther on, I decided to go back to make a mental note of "exactly" where it was, so I could show my brother on the way home. Only problem was, the eggs were so perfectly camouflaged, I wasn't able to find it again! In retrospect, I should've skipped school and spent the day exploring the tracks...but hindsight is 20/20! LOL!

Post some pics of your paintings. I would like to see them. I dig watercolors.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jun Mon 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Speaking of strange sparrows...I saw one this weekend that had most of the same qualities of an average sparrow except it was tiny and looked like it was wearing a burnt red toupee. No clue what that is.

Incredible shots though. That shot you pointed out the bug flying blows my mind too.
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JustinCarf » Jun Mon 18, 2018 2:59 pm

The bokeh is insane in that snake shot. It's almost swirly. What camera body are you shooting with? I know I've asked you this before, but I forgot.
JustinCarf
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby CBatt2 » Jun Mon 18, 2018 4:51 pm

KankRat wrote:Post some pics of your paintings. I would like to see them. I dig watercolors.

I'll try to find a few that are half-way decent, and then I'll try to figure out how to put them up here. (Might take a while, in each case.)
CBatt2
Minnow

Postby KankRat » Jun Tue 19, 2018 6:19 pm

JustinCarf wrote:The bokeh is insane in that snake shot. It's almost swirly. What camera body are you shooting with? I know I've asked you this before, but I forgot.

D7000, but it's more the lens and the way I am shooting than the camera body.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Jun Tue 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Woohoodude11 wrote:Speaking of strange sparrows...I saw one this weekend that had most of the same qualities of an average sparrow except it was tiny and looked like it was wearing a burnt red toupee. No clue what that is.

Incredible shots though. That shot you pointed out the bug flying blows my mind too.

Look up chipping sparrow.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Return to Photography