Wildflowers

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

Wildflowers

Postby Rambler » Jul Sat 07, 2018 2:20 pm

Thought I'd share some shots of wildflowers that are currently blooming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Wildflowers

Postby badger75 » Jul Sun 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Nice pics. Great, helpful commentary.
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jul Sun 08, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks Badger. Should have mentioned - in the 2nd shot in addition to the Prairie Lily there are true Black-Eyed Susans (Rudbeckia Hirta), Fleabanes (the white ones) and the big leaves are Prairie Dock - a very cool native. Their roots go down at least 6 ft. If you touch their leaves you'll find that they're very cool (in temp) - they pump cool water up from way down as a natural air conditioning. They send up stalks 6 ft in the air & have beautiful, yellow flowers.

There's also a White False Indigo blooming in the upper right corner.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby vman01 » Jul Mon 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Nice shots Rambler, you sure know your stuff.

I enjoy seeing the different plants as they grow through their cycle. I have 2 you may be able to shed some light on that grow by my place. First I believe is Jimson Weed and the second is a type of lily that sprouts green long bladed leaves in the spring that die off and later in the summer the stalks appear that flower. I am curious and thought I would ask
IMG_0069 - Copy.JPG

SAM_0848.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vman01
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jul Mon 09, 2018 5:17 pm

vman: That's not Jimson Weed. Not sure what it is but the leaves are wrong. As for the lily, can't help there either. I'm a native plant snob & those look like some sort of cultivar. I suggest you take a sample to a local garden shop & see if they can ID it.

BTW - Jimson Weed is AKA 'Sacred Datura'. It's very important in the religious practices of some Southwestern Native tribes. Gives quite an effect if prepared right. If prepared wrong it's death. Suggest you read The Teachings of Don Juan; A Yaqui Way of Knowlege by Carlos Castaneda. It's a cult classic from back in the day. 8)

BTW - another Michigan Lily opened. This one's bigger and taller. Thought I'd share a shot of it showing more of its glories.
Keep calm and fish on...

Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Jul Mon 09, 2018 8:00 pm

This is good stuff.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby vman01 » Jul Tue 10, 2018 1:47 am

That's a greet looking lily. somewhat like a tiger lily
Rambler wrote:That's not Jimson Weed. Not sure what it is but the leaves are wrong.

I pulled my information from a few sites when trying to identify it. I found the spinier leaf and the rounded leaf versions both using the same names. Pretty sure it is in the moonflower family whatever the name may be and has toxic properties as you noted. . Thanks for responding with the information.
https://www.wildflower.org/gallery/resu ... mage=55910
vman01
Fishing Czar

Return to Photography