Quetico Provincial Park

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

Quetico Provincial Park

Postby joetrain » Jul Sat 14, 2018 9:19 am

Here’s a video I found on another site. It’s totally worth a look. It’s 6 minutes+ in length but it contains some great nature shots and cool action as well.

If you have never been to the Quetico I encourage you to make a trip there. It really is a magical place.

https://vimeo.com/279359606

Enjoy.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Re: Quetico Provincial Park

Postby KankRat » Jul Sat 14, 2018 4:22 pm

That was awesome.
Been there about 6 times, but not since 2000. North Bay of Basswood- was the best trip.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Jul Sat 14, 2018 4:30 pm

I have fished North Bay for 30 years straight. I missed this year because of my move to NC. Huge pike, smallmouth and walleyes. Last year my son caught a 27 inch walleye. About 20 years ago my wife caught, no lie, a 26 inch smallmouth. I still have the notch on my paddle where I marked it’s length. I landed it for her and as I was getting it unhooked she said “ is that a good one?”

If you like nature and like to fish and don’t mind roughing it ,then go there. You won’t be disappointed.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Woohoodude11 » Jul Sat 14, 2018 10:27 pm

The story about your wife is awesome. Last week, my fiance caught her best bass yet (~1 lb.) And her face lit up. She sees my pictures, so she knows whats good or not but that didn't stop her from having childish excitement :lol:. I can't wait for the day she hooks something REAL good.

That place looks gorgeous. I've seen the name before but never knew of the place. Thanks for adding another item to the bucket list!

Thanks for sharing too
Lets Go Sharks!

FB|IG|Twitter|Snap @woohoodude11
Woohoodude11
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Jul Sat 14, 2018 11:01 pm

joetrain wrote:If you like nature and like to fish and don’t mind roughing it ,then go there. You won’t be disappointed.
~JOE~

One should define their idea of "roughing it", Because Quetico and BWCAW can deliver rough and fishing like anywhere can be tough. But when conditions are right, holy cow is it amazing. Not just fishing. If you rent a modern Kevlar canoe and even have moderate skills, gosh it's just amazing paddling by the shoreline. Just all the gigantic granite bluffs.
Anyone done the Basswood River trip with the 1 mile portage? The pictographs along the way?
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby KankRat » Jul Sat 14, 2018 11:02 pm

joetrain wrote:If you like nature and like to fish and don’t mind roughing it ,then go there. You won’t be disappointed.
~JOE~

One should define their idea of "roughing it", Because Quetico and BWCAW can deliver rough and fishing like anywhere can be tough. But when conditions are right, holy cow is it amazing. Not just fishing. If you rent a modern Kevlar canoe and even have moderate skills, gosh it's just amazing paddling by the shoreline. Just all the gigantic granite bluffs.
Anyone done the Basswood River trip with the 1 mile portage? The pictographs along the way?
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby joetrain » Jul Sun 15, 2018 5:13 am

Roughing it to me is, sleeping in a tent, no bathrooms, drawing water from the lake for drinking and cooking, cooking every meal with a fire with wood that you had to chop/gather and your meals consist mostly of rehydrated entrees and whatever fish you catch.

Oh yeah don’t forget portaging your canoe and all your gear over land from one lake to the next. No electricity either so that eliminates phones and minimal power for a camera and fishing electronics not to mention being at the mercy of the weather if per chance it decides to rain. I have been there through horrendous scary storms when trees are literally falling over and have woke up to a snow covered campsites and frozen water in the bottom of the canoe.

It’s not for everyone but I enjoy it for what it is. I’m hoping I can get my grandson out there next summer.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jul Sun 15, 2018 5:24 am

Here’s a few photos from previous trips.
~JOE~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Jul Sun 15, 2018 3:28 pm

joetrain wrote:Roughing it to me is, sleeping in a tent, no bathrooms, drawing water from the lake for drinking and cooking, cooking every meal with a fire with wood that you had to chop/gather and your meals consist mostly of rehydrated entrees and whatever fish you catch.

Oh yeah don’t forget portaging your canoe and all your gear over land from one lake to the next. No electricity either so that eliminates phones and minimal power for a camera and fishing electronics not to mention being at the mercy of the weather if per chance it decides to rain. I have been there through horrendous scary storms when trees are literally falling over and have woke up to a snow covered campsites and frozen water in the bottom of the canoe.

It’s not for everyone but I enjoy it for what it is. I’m hoping I can get my grandson out there next summer.
~JOE~

yep. thats roughing it.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby HEDDONFROG » Jul Mon 16, 2018 1:21 am

Beautiful Joe but my back hurts thinking about it. Don’t they have any glamping campsites there? Air conditioned tents, plush beds and bedding, gourmet meals served tent-side twice daily? I’d be into that ;)
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby cletedius » Jul Mon 16, 2018 2:24 am

If they were able to shave 4-6 weeks off of each end of their winter, I'd be living up that way in a heartbeat. June, July, August, September, there might not be a better place on earth!
cletedius
Fishing Czar

Postby Rambler » Jul Mon 16, 2018 8:08 am

Nice video. Those Kevlar canoes are a revelation. Not sure about the advisability of taking a dog into bear country. And what's with The Boss as a soundtrack? Quetico calls for some Gordon Lightfoot.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jul Mon 16, 2018 9:13 am

I own 2 Kevlar boats. The solo boat has a gel coat and the tandem is Kevlar only. They look fragile but they are pretty tough. Obviously not like the old aluminum barges that are out there but still tough and seaworthy.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Jul Mon 16, 2018 9:47 am

When my best friend & I were in the BWCA some years ago one of the portages we did was long and I swear, mostly uphill. We took turns carrying his Old Town Canadienne & I would have killed for a Kevlar - thought my shoulders were going to fall off. And he has a really nice padded yoke.

Joe - seems like you've added at least an extra days drive to your Quetico trips. Or do you plan to fly next time?
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby joetrain » Jul Mon 16, 2018 10:57 am

I’ll probably just come up earlier and stay at my sons house in Rolling Meadows and visit for a few days. Then do the same after the trip.
~JOE~
ad maioram Dei gloriam
joetrain
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby DasGoby » Jul Mon 16, 2018 11:09 am

Beautiful Joe but my back hurts thinking about it. Don’t they have any glamping campsites there? Air conditioned tents, plush beds and bedding, gourmet meals served tent-side twice daily? I’d be into that

There are some similar areas (Voyager National Park and Rainy Lake come to mind) where you can rent house boats. Having been to Quetico I can say it isn't the same but having also been to Voyagers I can say that it could still be really worth it.
DasGoby
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Lip_Yanker » Jul Wed 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Beautiful country for sure, I haven't been in years.

Was in Red Lake the last week and a half with my son, Sunset country is great too. The weather sucked though, was as hot or hotter than here and humid to boot- Made it tough finding any big pike or Lake Trout.

Exclusive member of Muff Divers Local #69 "No muff to tough, we dive at five."
Lip_Yanker
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Photography