My 2019 Best Shots

Your experiences in the great outdoors is not limited to just fishing. From time to time you may capture a photo of a lifetime - or just a cool shot. Share your photography here.

My 2019 Best Shots

Postby KankRat » Nov Sun 17, 2019 11:32 am

Feb.
Not a particularly high quality image, but gosh, these guys are hard to get close to and the lighting is almost always crappy. This is a northern harrier, female I think. This was at Rock Run Rookery, just walking the trail.

ImageNorthern Harrier by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

March
Here is a RTH drive by shooting. I got it at lunch time, in an industrial park accross from Dupage County Airport, Which does not matter since RTHs are freaking every where. See the commas under the wing. That's how you can always tell its a RT. Comma Dash dash comma. Though they dont always have those markings.

ImageRed-Tailed hawk by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

ImageTufted Titmouse by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Great blue herons bulding a nest. This was on the Centenial Bike Trail near Burr Ridge. You can see these nests on the DPR from Rt 83.
Male: I brought back a stick.
Female: I'll take that. You are not smart enough to build a nest. Go get another.

Male: Yes dear.
ImageGreat Blue Herons Nesting by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

April
I just shot this to see what the hell it was. I believe it is a dark morph of a rough legged hawk. These guys breed in the arctic. Again not so great a shot, but you don't see these guys much. This was palos area. FPDCC.

ImageRough legged hawk (dark morph) by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

A neat little sequence is. That's roe fromn that carp all over the eagle's talons.
ImageDSC_1348 by Mark Kasick, on FlickrImageDSC_1366 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

ImageDSC_1380 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

I had a couple weeks of getting some good warbler shots, Yellow rumped warbler. all in Cook county Forest Preserves. South side Palos area. Most at Little Red School house.

ImageYellow Rumped Warbler by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Palm Warbler
ImagePalm Warbler by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Not a warbler, a blue headed vireo
ImageBlue-Headed Vireo by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

A yellow warbler.
ImageYellow Warbler by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

May
I think this one is pretty, maybe my favorite. Nothing says spring like a Baltimore oriole, male sipping apple nectar.
ImageBaltimore Oriole by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

A chestnut sided warbler
ImageChestnut-sided Warbler by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

A red bellied woodpecker.
ImageRed-Bellied Woodpecker. by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

This is an american red start, another warbler.
ImageAmerican Redstart by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

A good ol' watersnake. This girl, I believe it's the same snake I always get seems to be used to people.
ImageNorthern Watersnake by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Green heron, my favorite bird.
ImageGreen Heron by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Stink eye.

We move into June with a male indigo bunting, what a beauty. Again CCFPs
ImageIndigo Bunting by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Male Oriole feeding it's baby insects.
ImageMale Baltomore Oriole with Chick by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

This is a Calico Penant I shot at Cowles Bog in Indiana Dunes.
ImageCalico Penant by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

From here on I really did not get a ton of good shots. I did go to Sylvania with my boys, and I went up to Menominee river with some guys from ISA. Both trips fishing was tougher than expected. Was not really shooting a lot, though i did go out.

So fast forward to september.
A Chinese mantis. Learned a little about these guys. Most of the ones we see are this species they are non native. The native variety, of which the name escapes me are much smaller than these.
ImagePraying Mantis by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Then October on ha been pretty much dud months for me, though i did go out. Recently I came down witha nasty case of tennis elbow making it tough to carry a heavy camera nd lens. But I'll still try to get some good ones.
Hope you like them.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Re: My 2019 Best Shots

Postby jmdog2003 » Nov Sun 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Wow these are fantastic. Loved them all, thanks for sharing :thumbup:
jmdog2003
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Aux Pleins » Nov Sun 17, 2019 4:56 pm

That nesting heron shot is probably my favorite but they're all fantastic shots.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby charliebravo77 » Nov Sun 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Wow, I need to hang out wherever you have been hanging out! The heron with the fish is a great capture.
charliebravo77
Minnow

Postby HEDDONFROG » Nov Mon 18, 2019 1:57 am

Beautiful stuff Kank. Love it
Piscis magnus venandi
HEDDONFROG
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Phil6 » Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:21 am

Damn kank! Fantastic shots. Going to be a long day in the office after remembering all thats out there :cry:
I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news. - JM
Phil6
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby philkol123 » Nov Mon 18, 2019 9:37 am

Green Heron shots are incredible!
philkol123
Pan Fish

Postby mack » Nov Mon 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Outstanding! Stink eye gets my vote.
mack
Game Fish

Postby Rambler » Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Absolutely outstanding. Thanks.
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Skifish1 » Nov Mon 18, 2019 10:28 pm

As a birder I like to see these posts every year. Getting some of these warblers to sit still I assume you are shooting some bursts. I'm assuming you are down in kankakee area was down there a couple times in recent months i was rather surprised to hear and then see a couple Pileated woodpeckers along Horse creek near the confluence. Just not something I'm use to seeing in Chicagoland area.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Nov Tue 19, 2019 7:14 pm

Thanks all. Glad you like them.
Skifish1 wrote:As a birder I like to see these posts every year. Getting some of these warblers to sit still I assume you are shooting some bursts. I'm assuming you are down in kankakee area was down there a couple times in recent months i was rather surprised to hear and then see a couple Pileated woodpeckers along Horse creek near the confluence. Just not something I'm use to seeing in Chicagoland area.

All the warblers are from Cook County Forest Preserves, around Palos. Yes, I shoot short bursts and back button autofocus with a single point. They don't sit still, the tricky part is nailing the focus. You can't really "spray and pray" when it comes to bursts, but yeah if you shoot off 6 fps, your likelyhood of getting something good is better. Birds move so fast that seems like a lot of shots in one second but it doesn't really get everything.
I used to fish the Kankakee a lot..a long time ago. Made up KankRat as an internet handle and have been using it since. I don't go out that way as much as I would like to. It's such a beautiful place.
Pileateds and red headed are fairly plentiful at Indiana Dunes SP, that birding trail right behind the visitor center. There are also a good number in Palos woods, they just are spookey birds and shy away from people.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Skifish1 » Nov Wed 20, 2019 12:11 am

Well Palos area having about the biggest tract of woods around and some water pretty darn good area considering the urban surroundings.
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Nov Wed 20, 2019 8:53 am

Skifish1 wrote:Well Palos area having about the biggest tract of woods around and some water pretty darn good area considering the urban surroundings.

Yeah, when you zoom out on google maps it's a giant patch of dark green surrounded by a whole lot of concrete. Pretty cool that it was set aside. The DPR and Hickory Creek kind of form a triangle of green, then semi green.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Skifish1 » Nov Wed 20, 2019 3:55 pm

I use to ride mountain bike on trails and deer paths lots of trails more than people realize
Skifish1
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Nov Thu 21, 2019 10:19 am

Skifish1 wrote:I use to ride mountain bike on trails and deer paths lots of trails more than people realize

Palos MTB trails are some of the best. Maintained by volunteers. I used to run them now and again.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby badger75 » Nov Sun 24, 2019 1:10 pm

Truly beautiful!
badger75
Fishing Czar

Postby JB » Nov Tue 26, 2019 3:38 pm

Wow so glad I opened this thread! Going to book mark it. Nice to look at the vibrant colors especially with winter coming. Some skills on the camera for sure. I also like the nesting heron. I’ve seen pileated woodpeckers along the river behind waterfall glen. Awesome creatures. Also thanks for the inspiration to hit the palos area more. Lots of land to wander!
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JB » Nov Tue 26, 2019 3:41 pm

On a side note it’s great that you are able to distinguish the difference on the raptors. They seem to fly by so fast that I’m sure I’m lumping most under rth. I have a feather I found that I’m not sure what it is. I’ll message you and maybe you could help me identify?
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JB » Nov Wed 27, 2019 9:21 am

Hmm tried to pm you with a pic from my phone and website states jpeg not allowed. Might have to upload to google cloud or something :(
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby macrackus » Nov Wed 27, 2019 10:51 am

Very Cool!!!
macrackus
Pan Fish

Postby KankRat » Dec Mon 02, 2019 9:50 am

JB wrote:On a side note it’s great that you are able to distinguish the difference on the raptors. They seem to fly by so fast that I’m sure I’m lumping most under rth. I have a feather I found that I’m not sure what it is. I’ll message you and maybe you could help me identify?

If it's a brownish hawk looking bird, it's probably a red tail. Most common raptor around here by a long shot.
Second to that would be coopers hawk, which are also brown when they are young. There are only maybe a half dozen hawks one would see around here.

http://www.illinoisraptorcenter.org/guidecover.html
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby JustinCarf » Dec Thu 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Some crazy awesome images! Really love those green heron shots!
JustinCarf
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby Rambler » Dec Fri 06, 2019 12:37 pm

^^^ Holy crap!! The return of the Carfster!
Keep calm and fish on...

There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid
Rambler
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JB » Dec Sun 08, 2019 10:54 am

It was determined later to be a rth feather...
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Dec Mon 09, 2019 1:20 pm

JB wrote:It was determined later to be a rth feather...

I don't think I could tell them apart. I saw an osprey feather right next to a turkey and the only reason I could tell them apart is because I used the turkey for tying Muddler wings.

Not that I care, or it's likely that anyone will break down your door over it but possession of a bird of prey feather, (or any on bird the USFW Migratory list) is illegal. Just an FYI.
I tried PM you on it, but apparently that mechanism is too sophisticated for me.
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Postby JB » Dec Mon 09, 2019 7:32 pm

ah good to know! It’s been since returned to the woods it was found. Thanks for the feedback!
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby KankRat » Dec Sun 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Yay for me!!! I got one more good one for the year. Here is an Eastern Screech Owl. Resting..'eees not dead he's resting. Pining for the fiords. ImageEastern Screech Owl by Mark Kasick, on Flickr
KankRat
Fishing Fanatic

Return to Photography