Indian BoundaryGolf Course + 1st Ave Frog Pond

Fishing information and reports for for the rest of the Cook County Forest Preserve District waters.

Indian BoundaryGolf Course + 1st Ave Frog Pond

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Thu 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Got 2 ponds i thought i throw a post at for any of the locals in my area. First is the stupid little pond in the Golf Course off Belmont along the river. I always rip this little pond, its full of turtles not fish. Its a hundred steps from my favorite river so rarely give it the time of day, usually 15-20 minutes as I walk past. Yesterday first cast got a strike and miss at shore, then about the 5th or 6th cast I nailed a nice size bass for this little puddle. I didnt think it was big deal till the Euro with the 15 foot rod picked up his bucket and brought two hundred yards over and planted it right next to me and asked "show me what you are doing" I blushed and just showed him my lure, and he went back to his other 3 buddies who were actually starting a fire(OMG WTF). I left after about 10 more minutes of casting to no avail.
CIMG2377.JPG
CIMG2384.JPG
The other pond is even smaller, this is an old borrow pit from the construction of 1st ave and the bridge. Located at FUllerton woods on the corner of 1st ave and Fullerton, down the street from the old Kiddieland. This pond fills more often from the river and ocasionally holds a decent pike later in the year. Well I keep tabs on this pond cause it really is like a pitre dish of organisms in the area, frogs, turtles, beavers, muskrats, millions of minnows. I heard that there were large schools of KOI in there now. Went to check it out. They appear to be feeder fish.. Most common type of Goldfish. These suckers could grow over a foot long and often change colors when introduced to a murky environment. My mother had nice pond in her yard she often tossed feeder fish in for the frogs and turtles, some would survive and thrive along with the KOI and change from orange to black. Heres the pic. kinda blurry
CIMG2348.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Re: Indian BounGolf Course + 1st Ave Frog Pond

Postby RamblingBen » Mar Thu 22, 2012 8:55 pm

That's pretty cool, I wonder if you could catch them?
Check out my channel http://www.youtube.com/c/TheRemedyFishingChannel for quality fly fishing videos and more
RamblingBen
Fishing Czar

Re: Indian BounGolf Course + 1st Ave Frog Pond

Postby Whats the catch..Ron'chi? » Mar Thu 22, 2012 8:58 pm

nice...I hate that puddle in the golf course..my buddy always wants to hit it :yawn: and that moron with the huge pole always sitting by that little inlet keeps everything..I would love to blow dart the guy. gotta check out that other pond someday.congrats on your bass 8)
HOOK,LINE & SINKER!
Whats the catch..Ron'chi?
Fishing Czar

Re: Indian BoundaryGolf Course + 1st Ave Frog Pond

Postby Aux Pleins » Mar Thu 22, 2012 9:07 pm

ROn'Chi---- The little 1st ave pond is pretty boring,,,,, if you were ever working the shore on the DPR then I'd check it out. Otherwise save the gas. Give me my couple months of pike planting in there over the summer and in the Fall hit it up, you'll have better luck.
Nature and shit.
Aux Pleins
Rex Rgis Piscator

Postby ohoffm » Mar Thu 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Good post. They should turn all of Indian boundary into a lake, it is awful as a golf course.
The easiest way is rarely the best way
ohoffm
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby jaypee the hhf » Mar Thu 22, 2012 11:14 pm

haha you got me!!! thought you had a frog fishy!

For real hit that golf course pond.. at night in the summer... throw a frog :wink:

watch out for rootpro lurking tho, he might try and stick ya up! haha
http://www.TightRopeFishing.com for Baby Firework Super Jigs!

I dont Kayak.
jaypee the hhf
2009 WCTT Angler of the Year

Postby Bass514 » Mar Fri 23, 2012 8:15 am

iv seen a few pike come from that pond nothing big tho
You are a Real Bass Fisherman if...
You have a power worm dangling from your rear view mirror because you think it makes a good air freshener..........fishing is not my obsession its my passion..ok its my obsession too
Bass514
Game Fish

Postby JB » Mar Fri 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Ron 'Chi wrote
I would love to blow dart the guy.

Dude that had me rolling. The mental picture was hilarious. Thanks!!!
To fish or not to fish......that's a stupid question.
JB
Ichthyoid Artimus

Postby JasonN » Mar Fri 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Whats the catch..Ron'chi? wrote:I would love to blow dart the guy.

LMAO!
Jason W. Norris
Managing Editor - WindyCityFishing.com
JasonN
WCF Managing Editor

Postby Jesus » Apr Sun 08, 2012 1:46 am

I have been to the river twice this season at that exact area. I usually stand on the cement and cast from there. I seen the pond but im too lazy to walk in there and both times it was muddy. I did walk a little north but quickly turned back from the mud trail. I usually go to that stretch near Fullerton but have not since fall time. Always run into 1 or two pikes when i did.
My name is Jesus and im addicted to fishin :D
Jesus
Fishing Fanatic

Postby Steve » Apr Sun 08, 2012 9:36 am

Great post! I was actually casting at that stretch of the river by First Ave a few days ago and after boredom set in I walked over to that puddle and saw those Goldfish. I casted in some wax worms and tried my best to land one. They were spawning however and all rubbing up against each other. Another black one is in there too.

I told my son and he is dying to get over there and catch one.

This is the best picture I could get a few days ago. Water was a bit murky but their ORANGE really jumped out. Didnt expect to see anything moving in that water aside from a few frogs or turtles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Ichthyoid Artimus

Return to Other Cook County Forest Preserve Lakes