Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Bode lake 4/18/12 night fishing& new bait

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Busse Jim 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Headed out to bode lake this evening to try out my new chatterbait , parked outside the park so i could stay past sunset. 70 degrees ,cloudy, winds had died down so the lake was pretty calm.got drizzled and showered on about every 10-20 mins for a min or so through out the night but never got soaked. started at the SE corner of the south lake covering the north side, tied on a 3/8 oz white chatterbait and started casting.
IMG_2890[1].JPG
it casts pretty far with no wind and on the retrieve the vibration is heavier than any other lure i've ever felt. i like how it looks in the water and and i should be able to use it in any depth. i was casting it parellel to shore in 1-2' of water and out deep letting it drop, but in the conditions i was fishing today (calm ,clear water) i think it was way to noisy . as i moved down the shore, fish after big fish darted from the bank as my lure got within 20' ,the heavy vibration spooking them. and with no more shoreline cover i was spooking them as i approached too. fished it for 1/2 hour till the first corner and switched to a quite shallow running rapala and landed a small little 8" bass . i couldn't move quite enough and continued to scare bass from the bank as i moved(to easy for them to see me or hear my footfalls) switched lures to a spinnerbait and covered the rest of the south lakes north shore,it was dark by now .
IMG_2895[1].JPG
i switched to the north lakes south shore and had a couple of swipes and misses by the drain area, covered the shore to poplar creeks out flow. and switched to a tiger colored -1 and worked back to the gravel between the two lakes. got rained on again a little heavier for a min. i got abunch of swipes and misses on both sides of the gravel on the -1 and one fish hit and missed the lure at the south lakes drain 3 times( they just couldn't seem to connect good in the dark) so i switched to a small chugbug topwater and when i came to that drain and popped it a couple times he blasted it, i waited a sec, set the hook and landed that 13" 1.1lb bass that tormented me, hah!
IMG_2893[1].JPG
now i had a pattern but the drizzle was becoming more frequent so i started back down the south lakes shore casting the chugbug in front of any shoreline wood or grass(not much there) and relying more on the sound of the lure as i popped it and the splash of the fish as it hit it( cause i could hardly make it out in the water) i picked up one more 13" 1.1lb bass before calling it a night
IMG_2894[1].JPG
. got back to the truck as the rains started pouring . 3 1.2 hours , tried a new lure, got rained on all nightbut never got soaked and 3 small bass. still haven't caught a 2 lber here, i wonder if theres any 2 lb fish in these lakes?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
just me , i made a " mono-pod" out of an old collapsing fishing rod i had ,a bolt and a hose clamp . attach the camara and keep it in my pocket till i need it and shove it in the ground. its about 3 1/2' extended ,collapses to a foot
Theshocker1293 said:
Very nice report! Always love reading them so detailed. Quick question who is taking the photos for you? If your alone are you carrying a tripod?

#12 ·
All good stuff Jim! With a white/variants Chatterbait, try a Zoom Super Fluke, white or clear w/ hologram flake treaded onto the hook (bring the hook out the slot) as a trailer for the Chatta. They can't handle it. Also, I've been doing well in stained/muddy water with a brown craw skirt and gold bladed Chatta, with stock trailer and various craw trailers. You go boy!

#14 ·
ohoffm said:
I love those chatterbaits, stick with em.
FishinMatt said:
Sweet. I concur on the c-baits. Give them some time and they will produce for you. Your namesake lake is a very good lake for them as well :wink: Nice job on the topwater bass!
thinking that myself, seems like such a useful bait especially in lakes with stained water like busse, maybe i can get some musky on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.